The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 17, 2004, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Does the team that's advancing the ball have to have control in the front court by 10 seconds or does contact suffice?
Old Sun Oct 17, 2004, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Welcome to the forum, chas. No team may be in control of the ball for 10 seconds while the ball has backcourt status.

So your question isn't really phrased correctly. The offensive team does not have to possess the ball in the front court in order to end the 10 second count. But in some cases, merely touching the ball to the frontcourt will not give the ball frontcourt status.

If the ball is being passed or thrown or is loose, then touching the frontcourt or any player or equipment (backboard, basket) in the frontcourt is sufficient to give the ball frontcourt status.

However, if the ball is being dribbled from backcourt to frontcourt, then the ball and both feet of the dribbler must touch in the frontcourt in order for the ball to have frontcourt status. If the player is standing in the backcourt, but dribbling the ball so that it is bouncing in the frontcourt, the 10 second count continues. The ball is still considered to be in the backcourt.

Hope that helps.

Old Sun Oct 17, 2004, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chas
Does the team that's advancing the ball have to have control in the front court by 10 seconds or does contact suffice?
One more point about your question. Once team control is established, the team remains in control until:
  • The other team gains control
  • The ball becomes dead
  • The ball is released on a try for goal
The team is still in control when the ball is being held, being dribbled, being passed or even loose.

Your question is more about player control than team control. Chuck spelled out the details regarding player control quite nicely.

I bring it up only because both concepts play a role in correctly calling the 10 violation.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Just to clarify????

In Chuck's reply, he mentioned that the ball and both feet of the dribbler must TOUCH the front court to have front court status. My understanding is that both feet must be COMPLETELY in the front court, not just touching it. I know that this is a slight play on words, but I wanted to be sure that I understood it correctly.

Thanks for all the help!!

Rock'nRef
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rock'nRef
Just to clarify????

In Chuck's reply, he mentioned that the ball and both feet of the dribbler must TOUCH the front court to have front court status. My understanding is that both feet must be COMPLETELY in the front court, not just touching it. I know that this is a slight play on words, but I wanted to be sure that I understood it correctly.

Thanks for all the help!!

Rock'nRef
The feet must be touching the front court and not touching the back court.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

????
stradle the line, left foot front court, right foot back court, dribbling in front court...lift right foot up and place it back down in back court????? still a violation right, even though right foot never touched front court???
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
????
stradle the line, left foot front court, right foot back court, dribbling in front court...lift right foot up and place it back down in back court????? still a violation right, even though right foot never touched front court???

My understanding is that the backcourt "foot lifting" rule only applies when receiving a pass. When dribbling, the 3 point rule applies (ball, both ENTIRE feet). In your situation, front court position is not yet established.

RR
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
????
No. See 4-4-6
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 11:11am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
If the player is standing in the backcourt, but dribbling the ball so that it is bouncing in the frontcourt, the 10 second count continues. The ball is still considered to be in the backcourt.

Given a few more words, I would agree.