The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 12:27pm
Huck Finn

Timeout to vent - among other things

I had a good game going last night...until the fourth quarter. The visiting team is probably playing over their heads, but are staying in the game. I will try to shorten this as much as possible.

1. I call a T on #10 for unsporting conduct - he was jumping around after a foul call.
2. The coach tells me I just changed the game. During the fourth quarter his team was down 6 after missing two free throws and the front end of two bonus free throws. Also, his team was in the bonus when the home team wasn't. Yeah, that is all on me.
3. The U1 called a T on the coach for saying, "That was a F'd up call and you all are all F'd up."
4. After informing the coach that he had to sit down, he asked for a timeout and I granted it. He thought that the timeout gave him the priviledge to talk to us during it. I told him he could take the timeout with his team and he said, "That is Bullsh_t." T number 2 and he is gone.
5. I moved to the opposite side of the court, but on the same end, to where he had to walk to leave. Instead of walking out, he comes over to me and continues to talk. T number 3.
6. After the first two shots, of 6, the U2 gives the assistant a T because the assistant was up because he thought he could stand now, the U2 told him he couldn't and he said, "You all are all full of crap." We now shoot 8 free throws all together.
7. With 1:37 to go in the game, the head coach thinks he can come back in to watch. I tell the game administrator he must leave and we eventually get the game finished.

We end the game with 13 fouls on the visiting team. So that means without 5 technicals they would have only had 8 team fouls and the home team would have just got to bonus free throws if at all because the 7th and 8th could have been shooting fouls.
I sent the report to the assignor last night and hopefully something is done about this coach. The worst part about a situation like this is his kids were playing OK and they were in the game. Also, in Mississippi the coaches have to come out of pocket when they get tossed.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 12:31pm
Huck Finn

I just checked and I got a new rating in the Arbiter: a 2.17 out of 5! The comments were: very unprofessional, bad attitude towards talking to coaches and explaining.
Here is the kicker, I got a 2 in mechanics! I can take all the rest because the coach is an idiot and idiots do what I expect them to. BUT my mechanics should be a 5 even if he does not like the way I will not let him do what he wants. Now he is right, that is Bullsh_t!
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 01:01pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I just checked and I got a new rating in the Arbiter: a 2.17 out of 5! The comments were: very unprofessional, bad attitude towards talking to coaches and explaining.
Here is the kicker, I got a 2 in mechanics! I can take all the rest because the coach is an idiot and idiots do what I expect them to. BUT my mechanics should be a 5 even if he does not like the way I will not let him do what he wants. Now he is right, that is Bullsh_t!
Having coaches rate officials on mechanics.....priceless.

Of course you got a failing grade. Did you really expect anything different? In these types of systems, every "T" is an automatic failing grade. You don't really expect coaches to admit that they deserved what they got, do you?

Good job of taking care of bidness, Tom. That includes your partners too. You know that you did what you had to do. If more officials would, there might be fewer coaches around like this clown.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Wow...now that sounds fun!
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

ha. now I know why ours wont let coaches make comments on arbiter.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 03:00pm
Esteemed Participant

That's ridiculous Tom. I see no value to allowing coaches to rate and post comments like that. If they're going to be allowed to do that, there should be a time frame imposed - like they can't rate/post comments for the first 48 hours after the game. I know the previous HS assignor around here did not take calls from coaches/AD's until a full 24 hours had passed - so the coaches had to go to another practice or game and couldn't just vent in the heat of the moment after the game ended. An assignor I work for now allows coaches to send in game reports immediately - so I had a game last year where the assignor called me before I was out of the locker room and had a game report in hand - the coach e-mailed it in within 5 min. of the game ending. Ridiculous.

And btw - just to reinforce you (which I know you don't need) - that coach is a grade A a$$-hole.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had a good game going last night...until the fourth quarter.
Looks like that's when it went from good to GREAT!
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 07:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Indirect ????

Quote:
Instead of walking out, he comes over to me and continues to talk. T number 3.
Once the head coach has been ejected, is he, or she, considered bench personnel, which means the assistant coach now gets an indirect technical foul???

I'm leaning toward no, because the head coach isn't really part of the bench. He, or she, should really be out of the gym????

Citations please.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just blow off whatever ratings he gave you. I do have a couple of questions, though:

Could you have gotten a long way from him when he called the first TO? If you walked away and banged him for yelling long-distance, would that have been easier?

After he got ejected, couldn't you have sootd a long ways away from his path while he exited thr gym, forcing him to chase you in order to get his 3rd?

Did you really have to T the assistant for standing, despite the letter-of-the-law?

I know you didn't do all of these things, but I guess after the coach got chucked, anything that can be done to maximize physical distance and minimizing any words with any coaches from that team would be exceptionally helpful. At that point, whether you're right or not, it can become a travesty.

Your assignor will be smart enough that he knows why the rating was that way. Just laugh it off. It will be funny at some point in the future!
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 11:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle
Did you really have to T the assistant for standing, despite the letter-of-the-law?
Read the OP again. The assistant was only T'd after he said they were full of crap. The U2 told him he had to be seated; gave him fair warning. The coach's response was what got him the T.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Read the OP again. The assistant was only T'd after he said they were full of crap. The U2 told him he had to be seated; gave him fair warning. The coach's response was what got him the T.
Oh, OK. I'd still wonder if it was absolutely necessary at that point to tell the guy he had to sit down. I'd not have known that the assistant, who would now be the head coach, would have the seat-belt rule. Glad I was not there!
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 06:17am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Just blow off whatever ratings he gave you. I do have a couple of questions, though:

Could you have gotten a long way from him when he called the first TO? If you walked away and banged him for yelling long-distance, would that have been easier?

After he got ejected, couldn't you have sootd a long ways away from his path while he exited thr gym, forcing him to chase you in order to get his 3rd?

I know you didn't do all of these things, but I guess after the coach got chucked, anything that can be done to maximize physical distance and minimizing any words with any coaches from that team would be exceptionally helpful. At that point, whether you're right or not, it can become a travesty.

Your assignor will be smart enough that he knows why the rating was that way. Just laugh it off. It will be funny at some point in the future!
I don't think you really read my post. I did get out of the coach's path when he was leaving. Not only did he change his path, he stopped and kept running his mouth. As far as the assistant goes, I trust my partner - try it sometime. If my partner said the coach earned the T, knowing everything else that happened, that is what happened. We can't always get out of harm's way.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 07:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I'd still wonder if it was absolutely necessary at that point to tell the guy he had to sit down. I'd not have known that the assistant, who would now be the head coach, would have the seat-belt rule. Glad I was not there!
Yes, it's necessary to tell the assistant coach that he's seatbelted. It's the same as telling the head coach. It's part of the penalty and it's the proper mechanic.

You tell them when they're seatbelted so that you (hopefuly) won't have to nail them if they get up and wander. If they do want to get up and wander after being told, then they have no excuse when they get nailed for doing so.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
3. The U1 called a T on the coach for saying, "That was a F'd up call and you all are all F'd up."
I know that you didn't call this T, but in my opinion it should have been a flagrant. The HC is gone right here.

As for the rest of it, way to show your strength and courage.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Just to consider another, albeit extreme, option....at what point would you consider just ending the game? Once the HC is ejected if he refuses to leave and still wants to chase you down and provide commentary, he has failed to comply with the penalty for a technical foul.

I guess my point is the technical fouls were not helping the game and even continuous issuance didn't get things calmed down. Was there any thought process to going that extra step?