The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle
kbilla,
Can you explain when you call traveling when people from the same team come down with the rebound, I've been calling traveling if either moves their feet once they're on the floor and they both are still hanging onto the ball. Is this right?
It is travelling if either player commits a traveling violation, but not if either player pivots correctly. So, each player may move one foot while still holding on to the ball. Case 4.44.2 sit B.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

You put your right foot in.....

Quote:
So, each player may move one foot while still holding on to the ball
Then if they continue this way, you do the hokey pokey...maybe get the whole gym involved....should be fun
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
Shot goes up and there is a scrum for the rebound. From C I have a clear shot directly through the middle of the lane and can see that two whites have tied up the ball and are trying to pull it away from one another (and yes each moved both feet)...they are on L's side of the floor, but they have their backs to the L official. There is a blue player in the vicinity, he could possibly be reaching in with a hand, but he is positively, 100% not part of the tie-up...L blows it dead and calls a held ball. What would you have done from C?
Hit the whistle before the Lead and called traveling.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Hit the whistle before the Lead and called traveling.
What about trusting my partner to make that call on the play right in front of him? It is tough to 1) see the play 2) determine that your partner is screened and 3) decide that you are going to reach in to his primary, right in front of him and make that call all in about what .2 or .3 seconds? Again he did make the call fairly quickly, I didn't have much of a chance to help him. I thought it was the right thing to do after the fact to get it right..
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
What about trusting my partner to make that call on the play right in front of him? It is tough to 1) see the play 2) determine that your partner is screened and 3) decide that you are going to reach in to his primary, right in front of him and make that call all in about what .2 or .3 seconds? Again he did make the call fairly quickly, I didn't have much of a chance to help him. I thought it was the right thing to do after the fact to get it right..
That's where being a really awesome official comes in handy.

Now if you'll pardon me, I have to go have my morning OJ and humble pills.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Fri Jan 11, 2008 at 09:30am.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

kbilla, can you tell me how you guys came to the conclusion that you were going to call a travel instead of the jump ball? I'm with Nevada & the other poster who said you should've came in with either the jump ball or travel since you had the best look. But since you didn't have air in your whistle and your partner calls a jump ball (by your opinion, quickly), which you in turn provide information that it wasn't a jump ball, which is why the whistle was blown, how does your partner and you for that matter, change it to a travel?

If I have a jump ball and blow my whistle for it, and my partner comes in and tells me that the opposing player never had his hand on the ball and it was 2 players from the same team, I am either going to give it back to the team who had possesion when the whistle was blown and call it an inadvertant whistle, or I'm going to call it a jump ball.

Now if we have a double whistle and I have a jump and you have a travel, then I can go with the travel, that wasn't the case though.

Last edited by JoeTheRef; Fri Jan 11, 2008 at 09:30am.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
That's were being a really awesome official comes in handy.

Now if you'll pardon me, I have to go have my morning OJ and humble pills.
Ha ha no wonder you're on me for putting .4 back, a really awesome official would have had the superman vision to visually see each 10th click off and would have known that it was not .4, but .5 left!
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 10:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
Now if we have a double whistle and I have a jump and you have a travel, then I can go with the travel, that wasn't the case though.
Care to explain how you can go with the travel over the jump ball, rule-wise?
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
kbilla, can you tell me how you guys came to the conclusion that you were going to call a travel instead of the jump ball? I'm with Nevada & the other poster who said you should've came in with either the jump ball or travel since you had the best look. But since you didn't have air in your whistle and your partner calls a jump ball (by your opinion, quickly), which you in turn provide information that it wasn't a jump ball, which is why the whistle was blown, how does your partner and you for that matter, change it to a travel?

If I have a jump ball and blow my whistle for it, and my partner comes in and tells me that the opposing player never had his hand on the ball and it was 2 players from the same team, I am either going to give it back to the team who had possesion when the whistle was blown and call it an inadvertant whistle, or I'm going to call it a jump ball.

We came to the conclusion because it WAS a travel. I see what you are saying that since I didn't make the travel call initially that you are asserting that we lose the option of going with the travel, but to me it comes down to my partner making a call that didn't make any sense and I thought we all saved a lot of credibility by fixing it. Your point about an IW is interesting, I hadn't thought of it....like I said not sure that I would do this again, have to consider the partner...
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Care to explain how you can go with the travel over the jump ball, rule-wise?
If we have a double whistle where I call a jump ball and my partner (lets call him kbilla) calls a travel. When kbilla and I come together, and even if we don't come together, kbilla states to me so everyone hears him, "I have a travel Joe, there wasn't a time-up, 2 players from the same team had possession" I'm going with kbilla's travel.