The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Not counting an airborne player.... Is it possible to have a held ball with only one hand on the ball? I think you can but just making sure. NF definition is a little confusing for me. 4-25-1 "opponents have their hands" is the confusing part to me.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 03:04pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb one hand each

Quote:
Originally posted by zanzibar
Not counting an airborne player.... Is it possible to have a held ball with only one hand on the ball? I think you can but just making sure. NF definition is a little confusing for me. 4-25-1 "opponents have their hands" is the confusing part to me.
zanzibar,
Sure you can.
A defender may only need one hand to prevent the release of a pass or shot.
mick
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, happens all the time but, all too often, I see this called as a foul on the defense when A1 turns to try and get the ball loose. Make sure you see the whole play and call the held ball if that is what it is first.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChiliBob
Yep, happens all the time but, all too often, I see this called as a foul on the defense when A1 turns to try and get the ball loose. Make sure you see the whole play and call the held ball if that is what it is first.
If A1 has two hands on the ball and B1 has one, I don't have a held ball situation, because it does not fit the definition. 4-25-1

Unless one kid has a VERY big hand, the kid with two hands on the ball will not need undue roughness to get sole control of the ball.

I see WAY TOO MANY held balls called, WAY TOO QUICKLY.

I also see officials that allow upright players to attack the ball and tie it up from the side or behind and give them the held ball when in most cases it SHOULD have been a foul.

[Edited by blindzebra on Jan 20th, 2005 at 03:46 PM]
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
If A1 has two hands on the ball and B1 has one, I don't have a held ball situation, because it does not fit the definition. 4-25-1

Unless one kid has a VERY big hand, the kid with two hands on the ball will not need undue roughness to get sole control of the ball.

I also see officials that allow upright players to attack the ball and tie it up from the side or behind and give them the held ball when in most cases it SHOULD have been a foul.

This is exactly the reasoning I used in determining my travel instead of a held ball in the situation I laid out in another thread. There appears to be no situation where a defender can have only one hand on the ball and have that cause a jump ball OTHER THAN when the player on offense is an airborne shooter.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Quote:
Quote:

This is exactly the reasoning I used in determining my travel instead of a held ball in the situation I laid out in another thread. There appears to be no situation where a defender can have only one hand on the ball and have that cause a jump ball OTHER THAN when the player on offense is an airborne shooter.
I went back and read that thread and I agree with a travel, if you are certain PC was not lost on the touch.

Now you will see a two hand grab and a pull-away stumble more often than your play, and in that type of play I'd more likely go with a held ball, because the pulling away more closely fits the definition of undue roughness.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 04:31pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:

There appears to be no situation where a defender can have only one hand on the ball and have that cause a jump ball OTHER THAN when the player on offense is an airborne shooter.
A1 starts to pass to A2.
Before the one-handed pass is released, B1 puts one hand on the ball and prevents the release.
"Jump!"

mick
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

There appears to be no situation where a defender can have only one hand on the ball and have that cause a jump ball OTHER THAN when the player on offense is an airborne shooter.
A1 starts to pass to A2.
Before the one-handed pass is released, B1 puts one hand on the ball and prevents the release.
"Jump!"

mick
Isn't that only true for an airborne passer? If the offensive player has feet on the floor and this happens, chances are the ball ends up loose and I would have a no-call. No?
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I went back and read that thread and I agree with a travel, if you are certain PC was not lost on the touch.

Now you will see a two hand grab and a pull-away stumble more often than your play, and in that type of play I'd more likely go with a held ball, because the pulling away more closely fits the definition of undue roughness.
Agreed. And thank you.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

A1 starts to pass to A2.
"Jump!"

mick
Correct if the passer is airborne, 4-25-2.

It says nothing about a player stepping or standing.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 05:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

A1 starts to pass to A2.
"Jump!"

mick
Isn't that only true for an airborne passer? If the offensive player has feet on the floor and this happens, chances are the ball ends up loose and I would have a no-call. No?
Gee, Smitty. I dunno.
Let's add some stuff:
  • A1 starts to pass to A2 (lifting pivot and now on one foot).
    Before the one-handed pass is released, B1 puts one hand on the ball and prevents the release
    (causing A2 to lose balance and retouch his pivot foot).

"Jump?" ...."Travel?"

mick

Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 05:06pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:

A1 starts to pass to A2.
    "Jump!"

mick
    Gee, Smitty. I dunno.
    Let's add some stuff:
    Before the one-handed pass is released, B1 puts one hand on the ball and prevents the release

"Jump?" ...."Travel?"

mick

• That certainly makes it interesting. But I still maintain that the specific rule that covers this particular play requires the offensive player to be airborne. So is a player airborne when he lifts his pivot foot, or when he lifts both feet? I'm not being sarcastic here - I am seriously asking. I don't have my books with me to look it up myself.
    Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 05:17pm
    Official Forum Member

To further confuse things:

Many times in lower levels and...don't kill me Juulie...girl's games, the shooter NEVER becomes airborne.

Now, I know I've had some knee flex, tipped toes, one handed, shot stoppers, and I have called some of them held balls.

I've also had a few nothings, because the shooter did not violate in any way after their set shot was contested.
    Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 05:19pm
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:

A1 starts to pass to A2.
    "Jump!"

mick
    Gee, Smitty. I dunno.
    Let's add some stuff:

"Jump?" ...."Travel?"

mick

• That certainly makes it interesting. But I still maintain that the specific rule that covers this particular play requires the offensive player to be airborne. So is a player airborne when he lifts his pivot foot, or when he lifts both feet? I'm not being sarcastic here - I am seriously asking. I don't have my books with me to look it up myself.
    No definition, Smitty.
    But I gotta believe an airborne player isn't touchng the floor.

airborne
    adj : moved or conveyed by or through air

Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 05:26pm
    In Memoriam

When in doubt, go what what you think is the logical purpose and intent of the rule. Imo, if one hand prevents a shot or pass and the player with the ball simply can't do anything, call the held ball.