The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Thanks to all for the advice - used it last night for FB/JVB games. Partner arrives and I'm already dressed and revieiwing pregame checklist, POE's, etc. he asks what I'm looking at. I tell him and off we go......Obviously, it wasn't as thorough as it could have been, but leading questions helped and philosophies were exchanged. Appreciate everyone's assistance.

Then, after our games, I asked the VB officials what they thought as they were in the stands for a bit - and boy did we get an ear full - in a good way I thought. Some real tough, constructive criticism that I will take to heart and learn from. Watched the VB game for a while and those guys showed me a thing or two......
When I first read this, I thought you asked the volleyball officials what they thought. Probably that we run around too much and may just break out in a sweat.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 11:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Scrappy woke up on the wrong side of the underpass this morning?
Naw, I think it might be an IAABO thingy. Internecine warfare maybe.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Naw, I think it might be an IAABO thingy. Internecine warfare maybe.
Ah I see...like when some Sunni blows up a Shi'ite wedding or vice versa. Thank goodness IAABO doesn't control any huge oil reserves...
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 11:43am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Scrappy woke up on the wrong side of the underpass this morning?
I honestly didn't mean it to come across that way. It was just an honest question. Seems like he posts both of those HUGE posts in every single "pregame" thread. I was just hoping to put the idea in his head of linking to it, instead of re-posting it every single time.

Sorry if I seemed huffy, Bill.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I honestly didn't mean it to come across that way. It was just an honest question. Seems like he posts both of those HUGE posts in every single "pregame" thread. I was just hoping to put the idea in his head of linking to it, instead of re-posting it every single time.

Hey don't drag me into this thing...btw what's in that backpack?
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Frankly, I agree with Scrappy on this. I was about to post something not nearly so polite.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 12:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

I had asked that same question about a month ago. Billy posts this same list every other week it seems like and it does not matter the nature of the question. Just say pre-game and he posts it. It might not even be relevant to the post, but he puts in on here.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Uh-oh...this is turning into a jailhouse beat down for poor Billy.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

This is sometimes the best part of your sub-varsity assignment. I'm glad that you seem to have a great learning attitude. Listening to good experienced officials and watching them work can be great tools for improvement.
When I first started I did this because I liked watching HS ball. Little did I know the HUGE payoff I would get from hanging around. I work in a big Assoc.,about 300 refs, and I get feedback from all kinds of refs. So it goes without saying my reffing has improved immensely.

Politically it's been a goldmine.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
When I first started I did this because I liked watching HS ball. Little did I know the HUGE payoff I would get from hanging around. I work in a big Assoc.,about 300 refs, and I get feedback from all kinds of refs. So it goes without saying my reffing has improved immensely.

Politically it's been a goldmine.
I totally agree CR. I love high school ball as well. I go early just to watch the JV games and offer input to that games officials if they are open to it. This was done for me when I was coming up.

Politically it can be a goldmine if you truly are doing it to better yourself and the love of the game and avocation. I've seen where it had a negative affect on a couple officials in our association who would come to the game just to be seen and leave after the halftime break/conference. Those officials often never improve but they want a better schedule so they come around the "in" veteran officials or association board members.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
I totally agree CR. I love high school ball as well. I go early just to watch the JV games and offer input to that games officials if they are open to it. This was done for me when I was coming up.

Politically it can be a goldmine if you truly are doing it to better yourself and the love of the game and avocation. I've seen where it had a negative affect on a couple officials in our association who would come to the game just to be seen and leave after the halftime break/conference. Those officials often never improve but they want a better schedule so they come around the "in" veteran officials or association board members.
NAh I'm not one of them. I go to hang,learn stuff and talk crap with other officials. I like my schedule right now, definetly don't try to force a schedule. Heck I even started a thread here a couple of weeks ago about not moving up yet.

I even spent a night up in Nevadarefs part of the world watching their 1A regional playoffs. No payoff there other than hanging with some of our Native American friends.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 02:13pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef

Concur!! Last night after my game when I got back to the locker room, the three V refs were there and getting ready to take the floor. So I said, "so whadya think?" The Sr Official, gave me the look of "do you really want our thoughts?" and I told him, "I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want to know and improve." It was great! Certainly an eye opener! And as i've said before, while it was very critical, it wasn't done in a condescending, aloof manner - it was critical though - man oh man do I have some work to do! While my hand an arm signals and knowledge are ok - positioning and of all things hustle (that killed me to hear) were areas to work.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 07:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Big Deal

Quote:
1) No offense taken because you're one several Forum members who I really respect, and you didn't get involved in a lot of namecalling and putdowns.
2) I have various officiating topics, i.e., pregame, on my hard drive because I'm a member of my local board's training committee. I repost them because we often get new Forum members; officials, coaches, ands/or fans, who may have never seen my posts.
3) I repost them because I'm constantly changing and updating them.
4) I repost because I hope that Forum members, especially new Forum members, might take some time to critique and/or improve my posted topics.
5) If I've wasted your time, or your Forum bandwidth, I'm sorry.
6) What's the easiest way of finding, and posting, an old link? I just learned how to quote.
7) Now some of you know how I feel when I have to sift, or skip, through posts that do nothing more than involve namecalling, and putdowns. I wish that we could all agree, or disagree, posting questions, answers, citations, even opinions, all in a polite manner.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 03, 2008 at 07:25pm.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 08:52am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
3) I repost them because I'm constantly changing and updating them.
4) I repost because I hope that Forum members, especially new Forum members, might take some time to critique and/or improve my posted topics.
5) If I've wasted your time, or your Forum bandwidth, I'm sorry.
6) What's the easiest way of finding, and posting, an old link? I just learned how to quote.
Bill, here's my humble suggestion. I think it will serve the purposes that you are trying to accomplish.

Start two new threads. Title the first one "BillyMac's Pregame Notes" and title the second one "Basketball Rule Myths". Then simply post your entire pregame in the first thread and post your entire list of myths in the second thread. Then bookmark those specific threads in your "Favorites" folder in your internet browser.

Once you've done that, you can update that specific thread every time you make a significant change to your notes or myths. You can either post the notes again in their entirety, with the changes you've made; or you can simply edit the original post in the thread. Additionally, since you'll have it bookmarked, you will be able to reference it easily to cut-and-paste the link into any related thread that you think it might be relevant to, without pasting the entire list of myths, for example.