The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Pregame questions-calling rec ball under Natl. Fed rules.

A)What topics do you focus on in your pregame with your partner?

B)What do you cover with coaches in pregame?

C) What do you cover with captains?

Thanks,
C
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

good luck, i never got much response from partners when i did rec ball.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Bart.
Gotta start somewhere!
C
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

I never did any thing with coaches. That would be a waste of time. If you are going to do a pregame with your partner then cover the coverage area and help with shooters. Go over the procedures when we call a "T".
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks again. Will do tomorrow.
C
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Let us know how your games go...

My two sense!
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Good thing I thought of this-had 1st timer with me working 4 game set of girls 11-12 rec league ball.

Covered-switching, primary coverage areas, special situations (blood/injury, 30 sec left on clock signals to each other, what to do if T)

After each game, went back in room and reviewed what went well and what to focus on next game. By end of 4 th game, he was more comfortable. Think that model worked, especially since I went first and talked about what I missed and what I needed to do next time.

Issues:
Kept getting amoeba-ball under basket for rebounds-felt I was missing stuff and kept inching in closer and closer. Tried to move farther away (was back to wall on end line- 8 ft clearance) but still couldn't see thru the scrum-Suggestions?

2- what do other associations do in terms of training rookies? Will volunteer my services (see a problem, solve the problem...) to help work/design program for first timers and would welcome any/all wisdom from other association members on what they do different/special for first timers.

Thanks,
CH
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NC_rec_ref

Kept getting amoeba-ball under basket for rebounds
Huh?
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Good thing I thought of this-had 1st timer with me working 4 game set of girls 11-12 rec league ball.

Covered-switching, primary coverage areas, special situations (blood/injury, 30 sec left on clock signals to each other, what to do if T)

After each game, went back in room and reviewed what went well and what to focus on next game. By end of 4 th game, he was more comfortable. Think that model worked, especially since I went first and talked about what I missed and what I needed to do next time.

Issues:
Kept getting amoeba-ball under basket for rebounds-felt I was missing stuff and kept inching in closer and closer. Tried to move farther away (was back to wall on end line- 8 ft clearance) but still couldn't see thru the scrum-Suggestions?

2- what do other associations do in terms of training rookies? Will volunteer my services (see a problem, solve the problem...) to help work/design program for first timers and would welcome any/all wisdom from other association members on what they do different/special for first timers.

Thanks,
CH
When I am looking at a scrum, I stand still. When you are moving but can't get an angle, just stay tight and watch for the cheap stuff.

My two sense!
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks.

BTW, Stan. Amoeba-ball is local term for situation when 8 of the 10 players are all underneath the basket trying to get the ball. AKA rugby scrum.
C
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Love the term - it reminds me of when my aunt coined the term "magnet ball" to refer to youth (and even some HS) soccer.

As to covering it - you're definately going to miss stuff, so call what you can/do see and don't worry about the rest. I definately agree that you should stay put - if you're moving, everything will just blur together (or maybe that's just my poor eyesight ) and it will be harder to tell who hit whom. Also, this can be a situation where having another official watching the rebounding (especially weak side and players blocked from your view) can help - even if in a 2 man crew.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

NC_rec_ref, where do you live in NC?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
[i]

Also, this can be a situation where having another official watching the rebounding (especially weak side and players blocked from your view) can help - even if in a 2 man crew.
good advice. Pick out specific players to watch(in your area) and your partner picks specific players(in their area) and guess what!, You each have at most 5 players to watch- and thats if you have all 10 players in competitive matchups, which is unlikely. goog luck.
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Live in Cary.
And you?

Thanks to all who posted. Good advice on amoeba-ball.

Any wisdom on what you cover in pregame conference with other official and with coaches?
C
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

I live just outside Fayetteville and officiate in the Southeastern association.

Have you spoken with anyone in the Triangle association about officiating school games?

As far as our pre-game goes, I've worked with the same two partners for the past 5 years. After 5 years of working as a crew, you know each other like the back of you hand, so our pregame is not typical. We discuss specific team issues, previous game experiences with the teams, coaches, and players. Rarely do we ever go down a "list " of things. Of course, early in the season, we discuss rule changes.

Pregames with coaches are just the required info. The NCHSAA requires us to ask:

"Coach, are all your players properly equipped?"

"Are you going to help us promote good sportsmanship?"

Pregame with coaches in rec league can be a little different. I usually bring both coaches to the center circle with the captains, speak with and then excuse the captains, then speak directly with the coaches about what we will be doing and what we expect of them.

Go to my profile and drop me an email, when you get a chance.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith