The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Pregame

Just woundering if any of you guys have typed out the areas you want to cover in your pregame. If someone has something could you please email it to me at [email protected]
Thanks
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Hit seach, type in pre-game and you shall find what you seek.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

e officials has an NCAA pre-game which works can be adapted to HS.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 10:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pregame

PREGAME CONFERENCE

Discuss coaches personalities and how to manage them. Coaches and captains meeting: players properly equipped, players wearing uniforms properly, practice good sportsmanship, coaches must remain in their
coaching boxes.

Stay in your primary. Respect each other's area. Seldom should have four eyes on the ball. It must be obvious to come out of your primary. We’re not going to have too many double whistles if we are doing this right. Keep in mind your boundary line responsibilities and last second shot responsibilities. Put the ball in play where it goes out of bounds or where the foul is.

On double whistles, let’s both hold our preliminary signal and not give a block or player control signal. Make eye contact with each other. Give the call to whoever has the primary coverage, unless you definitely have something different that happened first.

For out-of-bounds help, let's get it right. Come together for a change if needed. If I have no idea and I look to you for help, just give a directional signal. No need to come to me. Just point. If I signal but I get it wrong, then blow the whistle and come to me. Tell me what you saw and let me decide if I’m going to change it.

On throw-ins, count ten players, make eye contact, check the table, and check the clock.

Be consistent with each other. If I have a very close block/charge play and I call a blocking foul, then the next time you have a similar block/charge play, you should have a blocking foul. Let’s try to remember what we’ve called earlier in the game, and what we haven’t called. Be consistent with what has already happened in the game.

Communicate at sixth and ninth fouls. We don’t want to be surprised when it’s time to shoot the bonus. If we know that the next foul will result in bonus free throws, then we’ll be more likely to remember our shooter.

Check the clock after every whistle to make sure the clock stops properly. Check the clock every time it should start to make sure it does so.

Near the end of the game, be aware of coaches calling time-outs and be sure to inform them after they have used all their time outs. We’re not calling anything in the last two minutes if we haven’t already called it earlier in the game, unless it’s so blatant that it can’t be ignored. We don’t want our first illegal screen to be called with 30 seconds left in the game; but if the illegal screen puts a player into the first row of the bleachers, then we have to call it. If the game dictates it, let the players win or lose the game at the line. We don’t want to be the ones who decide the game by ignoring obvious fouls just to get the game over. If the winning team is just holding the ball and is willing to take the free throws after strategic fouls, then let’s call the foul immediately,so the ballhandler doesn’t get hit harder to draw a whistle. Let’s make sure there is a play on the ball by the defense. If there’s no play on the ball, if the defense grabs the jersey from behind, or if the ballhandler receives a bear hug, we should consider an intentional foul.

2006-07 Rule Changes:
Changed the guidelines for headbands and sweatbands.
Added that a school logo/mascot is also permitted on the pants, compression shorts, sweatbands and headbands.
The exact time observed by the official may be placed on the clock when a timer’s mistake has occurred.
A fourth delay situation was added for water on the court following any time-out.
Changed the procedure for delay warnings to only one warning for any of four delay situations (previously three).
Established a new signal for a team-control foul. The arm is extended and the fist is punched.
Clarified that a player who has any amount of blood on his/her uniform shall be directed to leave the game until the situation is corrected.
Clarified that a closely guarded count is terminated when an offensive player in control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past a defensive player.
Clarified that an unsporting foul can be a noncontact technical foul which involves behavior not in accordance with the spirit of fair play.
Clarified that a player is one of five team members who are legally in the game at any given time except intermission and that during an intermission, all team members are bench personnel.
Clarified that during a 30-second time-out, no on-court entertainment should occur.

2006-07 Points Of Emphasis:
Concussions
Uniforms
Time-outs
Intentional Fouls
Rule Enforcement/Proper Signal Use

Connecticut Mechanics:
Arms extended not closely guarded signal.
Point to floor for two-point field goal try.
No long switches when foul is called in the backcourt and there is no change of possession or direction.
Team members are not allowed to congregate at midcourt during introductions.
Coaching Box must be marked. If home coach and/or home management refuse to designate coaching box with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Secretary or Commissioner the next day.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Coaching Box must be marked. If home coach and/or home management refuse to designate coaching box with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Secretary or Commissioner the next day.
We should call that the Dexter rule. Was working a game in my part of the state where the coach kept on roaming up and down the sideline, as far down as to be even with the backboard. I kept warning him that he had to be in something resembling the coaching box (none was marked in this gym), and I got VERY strange looks from the table when I T'd the coach for being "out of the coaching box."

As Juulie likes to say, I own this guideline now. We're not hitting the 10 minute mark on the pre-game clock without this getting enforced in one of my games.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 09:29am

Quote:
PREGAME CONFERENCE
Hold the phone!

This is a problemsome statement. #1, I don't care if a coaching box is marked or not, there's still a coaching box and in HS, if they are all the way down to the endline. They are out of the box. In collge or hs, if they are standing at the halfcourt line, they are out of the box. I will warn them to get back in the box or closer to your bench. Continuing to disregard my warning will lead to a technical, box or no-box.

#2. If the home team is not going to have a box, then the visiting team must be given the same. In the spirit of fair play, you can not allow one coach to disregard the coaching box and force the visiting team to be within it. That's dumb, that's a problem waiting to explode, imho.

#3. Notify the board is a bunch of crap imo. The board is not going to do anything. The next time you are in that gym, 6 weeks from now. Guess what, same problem. Address the problem right then and there. Either before the game have some tape put down, or if the coaches is causing a problem. Stop the game, yes, stop the game. Get the management to go get some tape, and mark it down. Now, if I got to stop the game to put some tape down because of some out of control coach. I am not going to be a happy camper.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 12:34pm
M.A.S.H.

Hmmm, if the coaching box isn't marked, then there isn't a coaching box for that game, unless they mark one. Simple enough.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 06:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

CIAC Coaching Box

Connecticut Mechanics: Coaching Box must be marked. If home coach and/or home management refuse to designate coaching box with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Secretary or Commissioner the next day.

This is not a directive from our local IAABO board, rather, it's a directive from the Connecticut Interschoalstic Athletic Conference (CIAC), the governing body of most interscholastic sports here in Connecticut. In past years, we officials have carried tape with us, and have been instructed by our local IAABO board to mark the coaches boxes. In some cases, coaches, athletic directors, custodians, or site directors, have not allowed us to put down tape, stating that the tape ruins the finish on the floor. We as officials, and the CIAC, have been getting real tired of officials having to tape the boxes, or in some cases, being told that we can't tape the boxes. Under this Connecticut "rule", if needed, officials will designate the coaches box for the visiting team, for example, "Visiting coach, your coaching box will be from this outdated twenty-eight foot hash mark to this chair fourteen feet away".

If this happens once to a coach, I'm sure that he or she will get together with the athletic director and head custodian, and it will not happen again.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 06:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Under this Connecticut "rule", if needed, officials will designate the coaches box for the visiting team, for example, "Visiting coach, your coaching box will be from this outdated twenty-eight foot hash mark to this chair fourteen feet away".
Why is it "outdated", Willie? The 28' line is currently being used in NFHS rule 1-13-2 to define the parameters of the coaching box.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 07:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Court Diagram And Rule 2-13-2

Jurassic Referee:

Please check out the Court Diagram on page seven of the NFHS Basketball Rule Book. Notice that there are no twenty-eight foot hash marks in the diagram. Also check out Rule 1-13-2 that defines the coaching box. The term "hash mark" is not mentioned at all in that rule citation.

I'm not sure, I didn't start keeping my old rule books until just a few years ago, but I believe that the hash marks and the closely guarded midcourt forecourt rule associated with them, were changed in 1987.

I'm guessing that about one-quarter of the seventy high schools that our local IAABO board services still have the outdated twenty-eight foot hash marks. The remaining three-quarters of the high schools that our local board services are either brand new schools, or have brand new gymnasiuims, or have had their gymnasium floors recently repainted and refinished and do not have the outdated hash marks.

As a former interscholastic coach, I was sorry to see the hash marks dissappear. I would instruct my players to fill the lanes on the fast break, running wide enough to touch the hash marks, in filling the outside lanes.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 17, 2006 at 08:36pm.
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
ohbbref,

I was just on eofficials website, and could not find the pre-game you mentioned.

Do you have a copy of it? If so, would you be willing to email it to me at the following address of [email protected].

If any of you have a good NFHS/NCAA pre game, would please email it to me?

I am looking at upgrading my pregames that I use.

Thanks and have a Happy New Year.
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Hold the phone!

This is a problemsome statement. #1, I don't care if a coaching box is marked or not, there's still a coaching box and in HS, if they are all the way down to the endline. They are out of the box. In collge or hs, if they are standing at the halfcourt line, they are out of the box. I will warn them to get back in the box or closer to your bench. Continuing to disregard my warning will lead to a technical, box or no-box.

#2. If the home team is not going to have a box, then the visiting team must be given the same. In the spirit of fair play, you can not allow one coach to disregard the coaching box and force the visiting team to be within it. That's dumb, that's a problem waiting to explode, imho.

#3. Notify the board is a bunch of crap imo. The board is not going to do anything. The next time you are in that gym, 6 weeks from now. Guess what, same problem. Address the problem right then and there. Either before the game have some tape put down, or if the coaches is causing a problem. Stop the game, yes, stop the game. Get the management to go get some tape, and mark it down. Now, if I got to stop the game to put some tape down because of some out of control coach. I am not going to be a happy camper.
Isn't the coaching box optional? In WV if there's no coaching box marked, there's no coaching box - period. If you are observed in WV and you do not enforce the coaching box you can be suspended immediately! I have found that if you come out for pregame (or better yet, if you are exchanging pleasantries with the home coach during the JV game) and notice no box - all it takes is the statement "So coach, we aren't using a coaching box tonight?" They will grab some tape and get one down rather quickly.

We are also instructed to notify the WVSSAC the next day if there's not a box down. That's not crap. Besides, if I come back in 6 weeks and it's still not down, I'll say something again. Personally, if they are coaching their team, I don't give a rat's A$$ where they stand. If I notice, I'll put them back in the box - now if they are trying to officiate the game I do take note of where they are standing!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.