The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Unsportmanlike Conduct: Flopping

Hi all, while I'm here I'd like to pose another question about basketball rules regarding flopping. In soccer there is a big problem with players falling (called diving or simulation) with no or little contact, embellishing the play in order to get a foul called (most notably in the penalty box). In order to combat this, soccer officials will award a yellow card for USB if it is clearly a dive.

So, my question, could this be called in a similar fashion in basketball? IE. A1 receives the ball in the low post and moves slightly backwards toward the basket. B2, his defender, is defending him very closely and upon A1 receiving the ball, B2 flops violently backwards, obviously falling with no contact.

Say there is no advantage to the player falling down, can a technical foul be assessed for such unsportsmanlike conduct?
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joćo
Hi all, while I'm here I'd like to pose another question about basketball rules regarding flopping. In soccer there is a big problem with players falling (called diving or simulation) with no or little contact, embellishing the play in order to get a foul called (most notably in the penalty box). In order to combat this, soccer officials will award a yellow card for USB if it is clearly a dive.

So, my question, could this be called in a similar fashion in basketball? IE. A1 receives the ball in the low post and moves slightly backwards toward the basket. B2, his defender, is defending him very closely and upon A1 receiving the ball, B2 flops violently backwards, obviously falling with no contact.

Say there is no advantage to the player falling down, can a technical foul be assessed for such unsportsmanlike conduct?
Yes it can although I think I have only seen it called once in my life...usually a warning prefaces the technical and that is enough to stop it...
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
Yes it can although I think I have only seen it called once in my life...usually a warning prefaces the technical and that is enough to stop it...
I would also tell the coach that I warned his player for flopping.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 05:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joćo
Of course you can call a T for this. I would be very careful before I did such a thing. If there is any contact at all and usually there is, I would either call a foul on the flopper or call nothing. I would treat this similarly to a shooter that goes to the basket and exaggerates how much contact they were involved in.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 07:26pm
Huck Finn

Let me also add, be slow with the whistle. If a player flops without causing the offensive player to get out of position I would be careful about blowing my whistle. I'm envisioning a player flopping and leaving an open layup for the offensive player. In that case, I would let the player score an easy basket. I'm also very aware of flopping that could potentially cause someone to get hurt, that would more than likely result in a block for me.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Just had this play yesterday in a boys varsity game.

B1 flopped with very minimal contact if any, leaving A1 wide open for an uncontested layup. At first I said to myself from the trail position (two-man mechanics) that's unsportsmanlike for sure, but B1 just took himself out of the play and two points for the offense.

Be slow with the whistle indeed on this.

Now, my question: By rule, are you allowed to issue a warning or if you choose ... is it an automatic T?
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

By rule, it is a T. However, Tome is dead on. It is exceptionally hard to see absolutely no contact on these situations, much the same way where someone starts falling prior to contact on a drive to the basket, although the latter can be easily seen on film. When there is no whistle, the flopper is generally embarassed, especially if an uncontested basket occurs due to the flop. That's the time to make eye contact and say "Get up!" with derision. Going outside of rulebook mechanics, using your hands/arms to signal "get up" to the player after the play is over usually clearly conveys the message to everyone in the gym that he did flop. Almost never happens twice.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 08:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

10-3-7d

NFHS Rule 10-3-7f: Player Technical: A player shall not commit an unsporting foul...such as...faking being fouled.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 08:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Johnny,

If you are asking if there is an "official warning" we can give for this, then the answer is no. Can we give a warning to players to prevent a possible T? Of course you can. We give warnings for all kinds of things and this is no exception.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

kbilla had said a warning should take place - but, maybe he meant an unofficial warning ...

This would not be like giving a delay of game warning. There is no warning for unsportsmanlike conduct.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

i think kbilla meant "Hey kid, dont do that again" kind.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

I emailed my mentor with this exact same play earlier this year, because even though I knew it was a POE this year for the NCAA I was having trouble getting air in the whistle from "no calling it" in the past.

This is his response...

"If the defender bails out or flops on you call a block and then verbalize to him what he did. If the coach is a jerk and you know you got the call right deal with him in a stern manner, such as coach, point of emphasis on blk/chg around the basket. If he flops or bails on me its a block. Hope that helps."

Guys, regardless of what you see on TV, they (the people who higher at the next level) want a whistle when bodies are on the floor.

Incidently, I had this play tonight (HS game). Blew it, blocked it. Did exactly what he wanted and it worked.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 12:47am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen

"If the defender bails out or flops on you call a block and then verbalize to him what he did. If the coach is a jerk and you know you got the call right deal with him in a stern manner, such as coach, point of emphasis on blk/chg around the basket. If he flops or bails on me its a block. Hope that helps."
If you know it was a flop (little or no contact) and you call it a block, you know you didn't get the call right. Warn him, scold him, or T him up, but don't make a call that you know is bogus to make a point. jmo

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

I've slapped myself on the wrist to make a noise so it sounds like a foul while playing pickup ball mainly for my amusement. I bet a player could do it easily and get a foul on the defense for it. I suppose if I were the ref I would call a T but laugh while doing it. maybe a warning for flopping and then a t. I've seen a team flop on purpose and it got out of hand. I wish the refs would have given Techs
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
i think kbilla meant "Hey kid, dont do that again" kind.
Correct, certainly no "official" warning....