The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

The thread on umpire fees started talking about how early to get to a game. Umpires like HHH and Tim C. get to a game a half hour before it starts and believe that a good pre-game meeting with ones partner is an important part of being a good umpire.

So if getting to the field early is that important, what is it that you talk about in your pregame? I'm not sure I even know how to do one properly or what should be discussed since I have never been to an umpire school or camp and the training from my association is limited.

So I am asking the senior guys here for your pregame checklist. I would like everything from soup to nuts, the whole kittencabodle as it were. Assume I have never been instructed on what a good pregame meeting is or what it should include.

Any takers?
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Personally, I try to get to a field 45 minutes to 1 hour prior to game time, especially if it's at a field that I've never worked at before. When my partner arrives, or if we are commuting together, we will go over coverages (1st to 3rd, going out on fly balls, who has fair/foul, etc). I also go over any signals so that we are on the same page. I personally don't care what signals we use, and am always willing to adapt to my partner, so long as the two of us (or more if there are more) are all using the same thing. If there are more than two of us, we determine how many others (other than PU) will carry an indicator (out here, in two man, both umpires are required to carry). We also decide what color shirt we will wear, assuming we both have the same colors (navy blue is the required color, others are optional). We then try to touch up on anything else that we may have questions on, and then it's game time.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Kaliix:

This in as excerpt from a short article I wrote for our association.

Pre-Game Activity

The third item I'd like to discuss is the pre-game activity. Try to arrive at the field at least 30-45 minutes prior to the start of the game. If possible, park away from the field in a shaded area. After you and your partner arrive, one of you should inform the coaches you've arrived. If necessary, decide who will be working what position, then start your pre-game conference as your getting dressed. Be sure to cover all responsibilities, including: fair/foul, catch/no catch, first to third coverage, and all signals you may need to use in the game.

When you've finished getting dressed and are done with your pre-game, about 20 minutes before the game, start for the field together. Take a walk around the fences to make sure there are no openings that may be a concern. Make a mental note of any trouble spots. Taking a quick walk around the fences allows you to get the blood pumping a little. Always take the time to warm-up and stretch before a game. It's difficult to call a good game with a pulled muscle.

Go to the dugouts to check the bats and equipment. Look for cracked/dented bats, illegal bats, cracked/broken helmets, danglers on catcher�s masks, and that the proper chest protector is being used for the age group for the league you�re working in. Take a quick look at any equipment bags or equipment laying around near the dugout to be sure they are out of play.

After doing all of this, you should have around 5 minutes before the game is scheduled to start. Call the managers out for the plate conference. Keep the plate conference short and to the point, typically in this order.

* Introductions.

* Line-up cards.

* Ground rules.

* Ask the managers if their teams are properly equipped.

* Remind them that sportsmanship will be expected at all times.

* Tell the managers you want their players hustling on and of the field.

* Wish both teams good luck.

Some of these things may sound trivial to a newer umpire, but I can assure you that doing these things will help you focus and get ready to call a good game.

Tim.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

http://www.cobua.org/docs/GameDayMeeting.pdf

Here are the guidelines my local association uses.

The document at the link is more-or-less in the form of a checklist. Some of the items on the list are rather brief and lack much detail. However, everything on the list is covered in-depth at our association meetings and clinics.

It's a handy printout to have stashed in the equipment bag, especially if you're doing a game with an unfamiliar partner.

I imagine that it might serve to give you a few ideas about your own pre-game meetings.

[Edited by BretMan on Dec 16th, 2005 at 10:29 AM]
Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to umpbrian
Pregame

In our association most of the guys use the CCA manual and just basically cover either the two or three man section based upon what type of game we are calling that day. We have made a pregame card for our summer officials that they can put inside there lineup holder and refer to it if they need to. If the link works, you can view a sample of it here... http://f5.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gOSiQ-l...ame%20Card.jpg
Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Everyone else has covered the actual pre-game conversation very well.

Let me throw this thought into the fire. I work for two associations (HS and "other") that both require a "partner contact call", at least 24 hours prior to the game. We can be fined if this call does not happen.

The call can be as formal as you want, but generally it covers: what time you are going to arrive, shirt colors, where you will park, what you are driving, etc. This is particularly important if you have never been to a field before.

We generally work with the same "group" all season long, we know what colors each other has, and how we are going to cover the game. WE don't know for sure our partner's work schedule, or what the situation is for a particular game. The partner contact call fills in all those gaps.

bob

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to umpbrian
Props to Bob

Quote:
Originally posted by RPatrino
Everyone else has covered the actual pre-game conversation very well.

Let me throw this thought into the fire. I work for two associations (HS and "other") that both require a "partner contact call", at least 24 hours prior to the game. We can be fined if this call does not happen.

The call can be as formal as you want, but generally it covers: what time you are going to arrive, shirt colors, where you will park, what you are driving, etc. This is particularly important if you have never been to a field before.

We generally work with the same "group" all season long, we know what colors each other has, and how we are going to cover the game. WE don't know for sure our partner's work schedule, or what the situation is for a particular game. The partner contact call fills in all those gaps.

bob
Great point Bob, we have the same system here in all our sports, It is an extremely important tool that allows the umpires to get on the same page. Not only are we required to call our partner, but in HS one member of the crew, desiginated on their schedule, must call the head coach 24 hours prior to the game and confirm details before contacting their partner(s).
Brian
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

* Introductions.

* Line-up cards.

* Ground rules.

* Ask the managers if their teams are properly equipped.

* Remind them that sportsmanship will be expected at all times.

* Tell the managers you want their players hustling on and of the field.

* Wish both teams good luck.

Introductions
Exchange line up cards
Are all players legally equipped?
"Coach, you want to take us around?"
Good luck.

I don't put any negatives in coaches minds during the plate conference and I don't tell them how to manage their players. Maybe in LL this is necessary, but many coaches above that level find it offensive. That's not a good way to start a game.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB

I don't put any negatives in coaches minds during the plate conference and I don't tell them how to manage their players. Maybe in LL this is necessary, but many coaches above that level find it offensive. That's not a good way to start a game.
I strongly agree. I hate saying anything negative at a plate conference. I strongly encourage you to assume that the coach knows how to do his job and does not need to be reminded by the umpire.

I hate being negative so much that I generally ignore the FED mandate to say "Are all your players properly equipped?" I also ignore the required verbage about sportsmanship. They are supposed to know what that is without me telling them. None of this is a problem for me because I do not do many plate games in FED.

Now, if during the game, they show that they do not know what proper equipment and sportsmanship, etc. is, then and only then, do I deal with it.

To all you would be lawyers who say that I can be sued when someone gets hurt for not wearing a cup or whatever, I say, "Let them sue me." They will not win. Anyway, there is no audio recording of a plate conference.

My point is, people generally behave better when you assume the best about them. Negativity at the plate conference is a sure way to get off on the wrong foot. When my partner is the PU and engages in negativity, I assume a long list of negative things about him! Even if he tells me beforehand that the visiting coach is Darth Vadar, I assume that there is something wrong with my partner if he brings up anything negative at the plate conference. If the coach turns out to be a Darth Vadar, I will dispatch him with my light sabor by the second inning.

Peter

Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 03:45pm

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB

Introductions
Exchange line up cards
Are all players legally equipped?
"Coach, you want to take us around?"
Good luck.

Garth,

Great analysis of the proper pre-game conference.

We had this one guy a long time ago who would say to the coaches in the pre-game, "Okay, this is your warning right now, I don't put up with any crap!" Then he proceeded to umpire the game with a chip on his shoulder, just looking for an excuse to run someone. I thought, wow, why are you starting out the game on a negative tone like that. I asked my assignor not be be assigned any more games with him.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25