The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 09:20am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Help w/ Pregame

As a newer official to my Association, I am usually assigned as the U and get matched with a Sr Official who is the R.

At this point, I do mostly Fresh/MS/ and JV games (which is fine) and try to get to the games 45/60 min early. I change in the locker room and usually commence to reading the case book or revieiwing the rules prior to my partner's arrival.

At my level we don't have "teamed officials" so I rarely see the same partner more than once or twice a yr.

Question/issue 1) My partners rarely do a "formal pregame." Usually they arrive 20/30 before a game and we commence to get to know each other a bit, briefly go over a rule or two, and take the floor. How do I, as the junior guy, initiate a more formal pregame? I always have good pregame example sheets with me. Should I just hand it to them and say can we go over this? When I contact my partner the day before the game, should I tell them, "I'll be there 45 min early to do a pre-game" or would that cause you (Sr guys) to roll your eyes.

Question/issue 2) I've seen a lot of discussion about Rec Leagues games which I also do. There, I am usually the R with much junior partners who don't know the rules, read the books, etc. What type of Pregame do you Sr. officials do at this level - if any?

Thanks.

Last edited by grunewar; Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 09:37am.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 09:31am
Lighten up, Francis.

If I have a partner who has no interest in doing a pre-game, I will try to engage him/her in conversation about situations, so that we are getting into a basketball frame of mind, even if it's not a "formal" pre-game.

In my game last week, this really weird thing happened. How do you normally handle something like that?

Have you dealt with Coach A recently? Did he/she stay in the box or do you think we'll have to deal with it?

Last time I had Team A, they pressed a lot. I never know how far to go as the new Lead. What do you normally do?

I know I'm going to miss some out of bounds from the Lead if it goes out near midcourt. Do you want to just take that as Trail, or should I blow the whistle and just look to you for help?

Sometimes those kinds of questions help. Sometimes you just get a guy who can't be bothered. I have a good friend who simply says, "I'm going to talk through some things just for myself. If you have anything that you think we should do differently, just say so." And then he does a full pre-game whether the partner cares or not.

I think it will partly depend on your own personality and how much of a "take-charge" guy image you want to project.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

I've also used (and am receptive to) the "I'm new and trying to learn, so I'd appreciate it if we could have a pre-game and work the game by-the-book."
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 10:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Just tell him you're working on your pregame and ask him if you can lead it.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

I've had similar situations. I just ask questions such as:

How are we handling the Coaches Box, Are we switching on all fouls, How are we handling free throws etc. You have a pregame and your partner is a participant and doesn't know it.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Hard to go wrong with asking a lot of pre-game related questions.

As for rec games...get in, get done, get out. Did some rec games last week. Official for the games after ours was there plenty early. In his black sweat pants. And before we left, he stopped us to ask if anybody had a whistle he could borrow.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 08:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Short Version Pregame

PREGAME CONFERENCE

Lead’s Primary Responsibilities:
Primary coverage area
Nearest endline and sideline below free throwline extended
Post play
Illegal screens at elbows

Trail’s Primary Responsibilities:
Primary coverage area “works the arc”
Division line, all the backcourt, nearest endline, farther sideline above free throw line extended
Weak side rebound coverage
Drives starting in primary
Last second shot, basket interference, goaltending
Bring subs in

Stay In Your Primary, It Must Be Obvious To Come Out Of Your Primary
Respect each other's area. Seldom should have four eyes on the ball. It must be obvious to come out
of your primary. We’re not going to have too many double whistles if we are doing this right.
Keep in mind your boundary line responsibilities and last second shot responsibilities. Put the ball
in play where it goes out of bounds or where the foul is.

On double whistles, let’s both hold our preliminary signal and not give a block or player control signal.
Make eye contact with each other. Give the call to whoever has the primary coverage, unless you definitely
have something different that happened first.

For out-of-bounds help, let's get it right. Come together for a change if needed. If I have no idea and I look to
you for help, just give a directional signal. No need to come to me. Just point. If I signal but I get it wrong,
then blow the whistle and come to me. Tell me what you saw and let me decide if I’m going to change it.

On throw-ins, count ten players, make eye contact, check the table, and check the clock.

Be consistent with each other. If I have a very close block/charge play and I call a blocking foul, then the next
time you have a similar block/charge play, you should have a blocking foul. Let’s try to remember what
we’ve called earlier in the game, and what we haven’t called. Be consistent with what has already happened
in the game.

Communicate at sixth and ninth fouls. We don’t want to be surprised when it’s time to shoot the bonus. If we
know that the next foul will result in bonus free throws, then we’ll be more likely to remember our shooter.
Check the clock after every whistle to make sure the clock stops properly. Check the clock every time it
should start to make sure it does so.

Near the end of the game, be aware of coaches calling time-outs and be sure to inform them after they have used
all their time outs. We’re not calling anything in the last two minutes if we haven’t already called it earlier in
the game, unless it’s so blatant that it can’t be ignored. We don’t want our first illegal screen to be called with
30 seconds left in the game; but if the illegal screen puts a player into the first row of the bleachers, then we
have to call it. If the game dictates it, let the players win or lose the game at the line. We don’t want to be
the ones who decide the game by ignoring obvious fouls just to get the game over. If the winning team is just
holding the ball and is willing to take the free throws after strategic fouls, then let’s call the foul immediately,
so the ballhandler doesn’t get hit harder to draw a whistle. Let’s make sure there is a play on the ball by the
defense. If there’s no play on the ball, if the defense grabs the jersey from behind, or if the ballhandler
receives a bear hug, we should consider an intentional foul.
Discuss coaches personalities and how to manage them. Coaches and captains meeting: players properly
equipped, players wearing uniforms properly, practice good sportsmanship

2007-08 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES CHANGES
Changed that a throw-in ends when the throw-in pass is "legally" touched by another player.
Changed that a dribble ends when loss of control by the dribbler is caused by the opponent touching,
or being touched by, the ball, rather than an intentional batting of the ball.
Changed the warning horn for a 30-second time-out to be sounded with 15 seconds remaining.
Changed the replacement interval for a disqualified player to 20 seconds, with a warning horn sounded
with 15 seconds remaining.
Clarified that a technical foul shall be called when a player purposely and/or deceitfully delays his/her
return to the court after legally being out of bounds.
Added to the definition of a legal screen that the screener must stay within his/her vertical plane
with a stance approximately shoulder width apart.
Added that guards, casts, braces and compression sleeves must be worn for medical reasons.
Clarified that hard items worn on the head, such as barrettes and bobby pins, are prohibited.
Clarified when the resumption-of-play procedure is in effect.
Implementation date reached requiring the home team to wear white jerseys.

2007-08 NFHS POINTS OF EMPHASIS
1. Uniforms
2. Free Throws
3. Displacement
4. Ball Handler/Dribbler

2007-08 MECHANICS CHANGES
Added a signal (spreading of the arms) for when a defender is not in a closely-guarding position.
Referee can delegate jump ball toss.
Ball allowed on floor during time-out or intermission.
Boundary line coverage by trail farther sideline above free throw line extended.
Trail may rotate toward farther sideline, leads primary coverage area rotates.

CONNECTICUT MECHANICS:
Point to floor for two-point field goal try.
No long switches when foul is called in the backcourt and there is no change of possession or direction.
Team members are not allowed to congregate at midcourt during introductions.
Coaching Box must be marked. If home coach and/or home management refuse to designate coaching box
with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be
allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Secretary or Commissioner the next day.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 08:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Long Version Pregame For Rookies

PREGAME CONFERENCE

Lead’s Primary Responsibilities:
Primary Coverage Area
Nearest Endline And Sideline Below Free Throw Line Extended
Post Play
Illegal Screens At Elbows

Trail’s Primary Responsibilities:
Primary Coverage Area “Works the Arc”
Division Line, All The Backcourt, Nearest Endline, Farther Sideline Above Feee Throw Line Extended
Weak Side Rebound Coverage
Drives Starting In Primary
Last Second Shot, Basket Interference, Goaltending
Bring Subs In

Stay In Your Primary, It Must Be Obvious To Come Out Of Your Primary

Coaches And Captains
Players properly equipped.
Players wear uniforms properly.
Practice good sportsmanship.

Double Whistles
Let’s both hold our preliminary signal and not give a block or player control signal.
Make eye contact with each other.
Give the call to whoever has the primary coverage, unless you definitely have something different that
happened first.

Pass And Crash
Let’s have the Lead official follow the pass, stay with the ball.
The Trail will be responsible for the crash.

Out-Of-Bounds Help
If I have no idea and I look to you for help, just give a directional signal. No need to come to me. Just point.
If I signal but I get it wrong, then blow the whistle and come to me. Tell me what you saw and let me decide if
I’m going to change it.

Press Coverage
Help each other. New Lead will wait at midcourt.

Technical Fouls
If I T a coach, get me away from the coach. The situation is heated and I don’t want to whack the coach back-
to-back. Let’s move away from the benches. Non calling official should inform the coach that the coaching
box privilege has been lost.
Let’s get together and make sure we administer the penalty or penalties correctly and in the correct order and at
the correct basket.
If one official issues a warning to somebody (player or coach), make sure the other official knows. If I’ve
already warned the coach, the coach shouldn’t get a free shot at you.

Two-Point / Three-Point Shot
If one official incorrectly signals the number of points, the other official will simply blow the whistle
immediately, discuss the play with our partner, come to a decision, signal the correct number of points to the
table, and resume the game. We will only correct if we are 100% sure.

Goaltending And Basket Interference
99% of the time, the Trail will be responsible for the call.
Lead can help out on a quick shot in transition, when Trail hasn’t made it into the frontcourt yet.
Let’s remember that it’s never basket interference or goaltending to slap the backboard. Coaches and fans
always want it, but we can’t award the points.

Last Shot
99% of the time, the Trail will be responsible for the call.
Let’s both have an opinion, in case Trail’s not sure.
How will we handle a full-court pass when the Trail is stuck in the backcourt?

Foul Mechanics
Preliminary signal given at spot of foul for all common fouls.
Calling official must designate throwin spot or number of shots.
Noncalling official, get the shooter. If the ball enters the basket, inform partner that ball went in.

Throw Ins
Ten players, eye contact, check table, check clock.

Timeout Mechanics
When the ball is dead, we must be alive.
Team calling timeout must have player dribbling or holding the ball.
Both officials must know the game situation when play resumes following a timeout (team, direction,
spot or run baseline, shooter, number of shots).
One official at spot of throwin or free throw line with ball facing direction in which it will be put into play.
Other official at division line, quarter for 30 second and three quarters for 60 second.

Post Play
Let’s not allow a defender to use a leg or knee to move a player off the block.
Let’s make sure the offensive player isn’t holding off the defender, or holding him with his off-hand.
As Lead, let’s find the post matchup as soon as possible so that we get the first foul.
Remember the RIDD. Don’t let players Redirect, Impede, Displace, or Dislodge.

Ball-Handler / Hand-Checking
Two hands on the ball-handler is a foul. Automatic.
One hand that stays on the dribbler is a foul.
Remember RSBQ. If the dribbler’s Rythym, Speed, Balance, or Quickness are affected,
we should have a hand-checking foul.

Screens
We must work hard off the ball.
In the first half especially, let’s clean up the screening action. The screening action will be right in front of the
defensive coach in the first half, so if the coach sees an illegal screen, we should too.
In the second half, with the defensive coach 60 feet away, let’s be aware of the screening, but we don’t need to
focus quite as hard on it. If there’s an obvious call to be made, let’s absolutely make it; but we won’t make it
our “point of emphasis” in the second half.

Consistency
Let’s see if we can call the same game. Be consistent with each other.
Let’s try to remember what we’ve called earlier in the game, and what we haven’t called. Be consistent with
what has already happened in the game.
If I have a very close block/charge play and I call a blocking foul, then the next time you have a similar
block/charge play, you should have a blocking foul.

Game Situation Awareness
One of us should quickly check the clock after every whistle to make sure the clock stops properly.
One of us should check the clock every time it should start to make sure it does so.
Let’s try to be aware of the foul count during the game. We don’t want to be surprised when it’s time to shoot
the bonus. If we know that the next foul will result in bonus free throws, we’ll be more likely to remember
our shooter.

Last Two Minutes
Near the end of the game, be aware of coaches calling time-outs and be sure to inform them after they have used
all their time outs.
We’re not calling anything in the last two minutes if we haven’t already called it earlier in the game, unless it’s
so blatant that it can’t be ignored. We don’t want our first illegal screen to be called with 30 seconds left in
the game; but if the illegal screen puts a player into the first row of the bleachers, then we have to call it.
Let’s not put the whistles away in the last two minutes: That wouldn’t be consistent with the way we’ve been
calling the game. If the game dictates it, let the players win or lose the game at the line. We don’t want to be
the ones who decide the game by ignoring obvious fouls just to get the game over.
End of game strategic fouls: If the winning team is just holding the ball and is willing to take the free throws,
then let’s call the foul immediately, so the ballhandler doesn’t get hit harder to draw a whistle. Let’s make
sure there is a play on the ball by the defense. If there’s no play on the ball, if the defense grabs the jersey
from behind, or if the ballhandler receives a bear hug, we should consider an intentional foul. These are not
basketball plays and should be penalized as intentional.

2007-08 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES CHANGES
Changed that a throw-in ends when the throw-in pass is "legally" touched by another player.
Changed that a dribble ends when loss of control by the dribbler is caused by the opponent touching,
or being touched by, the ball, rather than an intentional batting of the ball.
Changed the warning horn for a 30-second time-out to be sounded with 15 seconds remaining.
Changed the replacement interval for a disqualified player to 20 seconds, with a warning horn sounded
with 15 seconds remaining.
Clarified that a technical foul shall be called when a player purposely and/or deceitfully delays his/her
return to the court after legally being out of bounds.
Added to the definition of a legal screen that the screener must stay within his/her vertical plane
with a stance approximately shoulder width apart.
Added that guards, casts, braces and compression sleeves must be worn for medical reasons.
Clarified that hard items worn on the head, such as barrettes and bobby pins, are prohibited.
Clarified when the resumption-of-play procedure is in effect.
Implementation date reached requiring the home team to wear white jerseys.

2007-08 NFHS POINTS OF EMPHASIS
1. Uniforms
2. Free Throws
3. Displacement
4. Ball Handler/Dribbler

2007-08 MECHANICS CHANGES
Added a signal (spreading of the arms) for when a defender is not in a closely-guarding position.
Referee can delegate jump ball toss.
Ball allowed on floor during time-out or intermission.
Boundary line coverage by trail farther sideline above free throw line extended.
Trail may rotate toward farther sideline, leads primary coverage area rotates.

CONNECTICUT MECHANICS:
Point to floor for two-point field goal try.
No long switches when foul is called in the backcourt and there is no change of possession or direction.
Team members are not allowed to congregate at midcourt during introductions.
Coaching Box must be marked. If home coach and/or home management refuse to designate coaching box
with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be
allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Secretary or Commissioner the next day.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 09:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Billy,

With all due respect, he is not going to have the time to go over all that stuff in a 20 to 30 minute period of time. He needs to focus on major things. That works best when you have an hour to 45 minutes and even then I do not know that you always need to cover all those items.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 09:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Grunewar,

If I were you, I would cover the major things. Like coverage areas and who has what and when. I would cover how you are going to handle double whistles. I would even try to cover or get a sense of their philosophy on how they cover games like hand-checking and illegal screens. Then cover how you are going to handle players and coaches (coaching box issues) and how you will communicate things to each other about those players or issues regarding bonus and things like out of bounds plays that need help. If you have more time, cover things that are important to you in the end. All a pre-game really is anyway is to help you and your partner have some idea where you both (or three of you) are coming from. Many experienced officials already know where to stand and what they are doing, you just want to make sure the both of you see things similarly and if you do not see things the same ways, then you have to figure out a way to meet in the middle or deal with them on a personal level. The bottom line is you do not want to get out there and be totally blindsided by something they are doing that is as important as a double whistle.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 02:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Billy,

With all due respect, he is not going to have the time to go over all that stuff in a 20 to 30 minute period of time. He needs to focus on major things. That works best when you have an hour to 45 minutes and even then I do not know that you always need to cover all those items.

Peace

Yeah, cover the major, not the whole entire list
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 06:34am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thanks to all for the advice - used it last night for FB/JVB games. Partner arrives and I'm already dressed and revieiwing pregame checklist, POE's, etc. he asks what I'm looking at. I tell him and off we go......Obviously, it wasn't as thorough as it could have been, but leading questions helped and philosophies were exchanged. Appreciate everyone's assistance.

Then, after our games, I asked the VB officials what they thought as they were in the stands for a bit - and boy did we get an ear full - in a good way I thought. Some real tough, constructive criticism that I will take to heart and learn from. Watched the VB game for a while and those guys showed me a thing or two......
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 08:00am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
PREGAME CONFERENCE
Two things Bill. First, why do you feel the need to cut and paste this stuff every single time a pregame question or a "myth" question comes up? I don't need to sift through it (or skip by it) once a month. If you feel you need to share this stuff every single time, then just post a link to a previous thread where you've already posted it.

Second, if you read the original post, he said:

Quote:
How do I, as the junior guy, initiate a more formal pregame? I always have good pregame example sheets with me. Should I just hand it to them and say can we go over this?
He's not asking for your (or anybody's) pregame notes. He's asking how to initiate the pregame conference with a less than willing partner.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 08:04am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Obviously, it wasn't as thorough as it could have been, but leading questions helped and philosophies were exchanged. Appreciate everyone's assistance.
Glad it went well. For a JV or Fr game, that is often the best you can hope for in a pregame. It might not be a complete pregame, but it's a start and at least you're in a basketball frame of mind when you walk on the floor.

Quote:
Some real tough, constructive criticism that I will take to heart and learn from. Watched the VB game for a while and those guys showed me a thing or two......
This is sometimes the best part of your sub-varsity assignment. I'm glad that you seem to have a great learning attitude. Listening to good experienced officials and watching them work can be great tools for improvement.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Two things Bill. First, why do you feel the need to cut and paste this stuff every single time a pregame question or a "myth" question comes up? I don't need to sift through it (or skip by it) once a month. If you feel you need to share this stuff every single time, then just post a link to a previous thread where you've already posted it.

Second, if you read the original post, he said:

He's not asking for your (or anybody's) pregame notes. He's asking how to initiate the pregame conference with a less than willing partner.
Scrappy woke up on the wrong side of the underpass this morning?