The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Question?

Is sending the wrong shhoter to the line a technical foul. I was at a game and the officials pointed to #23 as the shooter and #33 shot the foul shot. After the first shot they caught it and gave a tech to the shooter and took the point away and let the right shooter shoot his 2 and then shot the 2 techs. Was this correct?
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondregionbug
Is sending the wrong shhoter to the line a technical foul. I was at a game and the officials pointed to #23 as the shooter and #33 shot the foul shot. After the first shot they caught it and gave a tech to the shooter and took the point away and let the right shooter shoot his 2 and then shot the 2 techs. Was this correct?
Interesting Op. By rule, if the "wrong" shooter intentionally shoots the FTs, then yes it is a T. However, based on your wording, I believe the Refs may have been able to prevent this action.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you are certain it was done intentionally by the players/team, then it is an unsporting player technical under 10-3-7f.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Especially if I pointed to #23, and then #33 steps up and shoots, as the OP has it.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

There's even a case book play for this.

8.2 COMMENT: When A1 is designated to attempt a free throw(s), no other player shall be permitted to make the attempt unless A1 is injured or disqualified prior to the attempt. If the wrong player attempts the free throw, it may be corrected as prescribed in 2-10. In certain situations, the attempt by the wrong player may be due to a justifiable misunderstanding. In such case, there should be no penalty. But, if it is a situation in which it is reasonable to expect the player to know that he/she is not the proper one to attempt the free throw, a technical foul for unsporting conduct shall be called. In this situation, the proper player is entitled to his/her free throw(s) which will be followed by the administration of the technical foul. (10-3-7f)