The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 09:34am
PYRef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
In NCAA, we use the same signal to indicate that a time-out is only being used to make a substitution.

I know. That has nothing to do with the overall discussion. I'm just answering a direct question from PYRef.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
What?!?!? That's impossible. There's no pivot foot during a timeout. You cannot travel during a timeout. It must be some unauthorized mechanic that only the big dogs can get away with. And it just burns my bottom that we're perpetuating the myth that there's a pivot foot during a timeout. Don't they know the endless trouble that's going to cause during my 4th grade travel league games?
Sorry guys, the timeout for a substitution mechanic is different. It is done using only two fingers above the head.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 09:48am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
Sorry guys, the timeout for a substitution mechanic is different. It is done using only two fingers above the head.
You should be sorry. Ok, that's a little stronger than I intended; but anybody swirling 2 fingers over their head should be embarrassed. That would look distinctly. . . goofy.

There actually isn't a signal listed for this in the CCA handbook this year, but I'm 99.999999999% positive that when it was introduced, it was the traveling signal. No way am I "swirling" unless I get ripped for the traveling signal.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 09:57am
PYRef

Scrapper, if you have a 2007-08 NCAA rule book, go look on page 168 and you'll see this mechanic. Or just go to this link.
http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf

and it's not exactly done by "swirling" your fingers like your wearing pink panties like you suggest.
Unless you do. (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

Last edited by PYRef; Thu Nov 29, 2007 at 09:59am.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Scrapper, if you have a 2007-08 NCAA rule book, go look on page 168 and you'll see this mechanic. Or just go to this link.
http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf

and it's not exactly done by "swirling" your fingers like your wearing pink panties like you suggest.
Unless you do. (Not that there's anything wrong with that)
That's a woman's mechanic.

Those of us who know Scrappy know that he's a men's official...who happens to wear pink panties but there's nothing wrong with that (Well, nothing too wrong with that... he's just confused...)

btw I see it on p205
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I looked at those signals before my last post and believe that they do NOT convey that a violation of the spot has occurred, rather the signal is used to indicate the proper location of an ensuing throw-in following a foul or violation. In other words, I don't think that what you say is an intended use.
The NCAAM description says "throw in spot or designated spot violation"

I agree that the NCAAW description doesn't include the word "violation" and the signal is on the "information" page, not the "violation" page.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 10:11am
PYRef

I apologize for the discrepancy in the link. It is pg. 168 in the 2008 rule book. The link is for the 2007 edition.

Yes it is listed as a women's mechanic, but there is also no mechanic listed under the men's for a team control foul either

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdfUpdated link

Last edited by PYRef; Thu Nov 29, 2007 at 10:18am.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 10:18am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Scrapper, if you have a 2007-08 NCAA rule book, go look on page 168 and you'll see this mechanic.
I do have rulebook, but believe it or not, there are no signals in it. In the table of contents, it shows signals and gives a page number, but the book itself leaves those sections out. Very strange.

But I do see the signal on the PDF version that you linked. As Dan_ref said, it's a women's mechanic, which explains why I was not familiar with it. And as I said, I sure looks goofy.

Quote:
It sure looks like swirling. Yuck.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 10:20am
PYRef

Quote:
It sure looks like swirling. Yuck.
OK, I might concede that a little but it is definitely different than the travel signal.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 10:22am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
but it is definitely different than the travel signal.
I'll concede that, too.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 10:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I'll concede that, too.
get a room.