The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Found myself watching last night. (or not watching)

I discovered a bad habit last night while doing a girls JV game. I found myself not paying enough attention to the rest of my area when I began a closely gaurded count. Maybe using my periphial vision more would help. The game didn't get physical at all so I probably didn't miss much. (I guess I wouldn't know, I wasn't watching) Any helpful comments would be appreciated.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 01:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

First of all, your thread title threw me a little..

As to your question, I would agree it might be better if you used your peripheral vision as the main way to watch the defender's position relative to the ball handler and whether or not the ball handler picks up (or starts) a dribble, which would affect your count. IOW, your total area is the main focus of your vision with the two players not being your primary focus, but a secondary one. After all, you don't want to miss a foul, like an illegal screen, while you're counting five seconds.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

as I tell my helpside defenders, "See everything in front of you, look but don't stare"... that might apply to this also.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Having trouble watching? Maybe try this guy's glasses

Oh wait...you said you only wanted helpful comments. Whether the ball handler is being really pressured by the defense or it's just sort of token pressure then I'll focus on that alone typically. That's where the action is, if you divert your attention you just might miss something big that everyone else sees.

So the question back to you is why do you feel the need to wander away from where the action is?
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

I thought the title may draw some attention.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

jsb-

That is a great thing to focus on. Staying aware of more than just the ball, the player with it and his or her defender is going to help you improve and move up.

I suggest talking yourself through things while you watch the ballhandler and defender, "screen coming, keep an eye out for that", those sorts of things. I found talking myself through things really helped. I do that in lots of situations--in fact just Monday night I was working with a newer ref about talking through free throw situations in a scrimmage we were working: Talk yourself through the situation to set it in your mind. For instance, as you are about to administer the free throw, say to yourself: "Blue is shooting, so if white violates it is a held whistle call, if blue violates kill it." I find that really helpful. Just try not to talk outloud

Once you start making off ball calls in your primary you will really start to feel like you are officiating And the senior guys will notice. If you get a good illegal screen call off-ball, any senior official will see that and realize that means you are improving.

If you played ball, it is the same kind of court awareness from being a player. You are sizing up the D on you but staying aware of your cutting teammate. Same thing. You are watching the ballhandler and defender but thinking to yourself that a screen is likely coming, etc. They say "referee the defense, think like the offense." Part of that is anticipating what the offensive player will do and what the offensive teammates will do--screens, cuts, etc. Dont anticipate calls, but anticipate where the play might go so that you can be ready to make any calls.

Good luck and I hope that helps! Its a good question to ask.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Having trouble watching? Maybe try this guy's glasses
You know, you should consider donating your specs to the local Lions Club for some worthy individual. They're obviously not doing much for you...

Quote:
So the question back to you is why do you feel the need to wander away from where the action is?
I was once closely watching a dribbler/defender matchup; I had the perfect angle to see between them, I was watching for illegal hand checks, I had the pivot foot noted, man, was I set. The dribbler starts to take off, and all of a sudden, POW! the defender gets leveled by an illegal screen. Both the defender and screener hit the floor, and I hit the whistle. I was ready to report that foul.

Except...

It was a teammate of the defender that set the "illegal" screen. I look down, mutter a few choice words under my breath, tell everyone I have an inadvertant whistle and giave the ball back to the offense.

Moral: You have to see more than just the initial matchup. Maybe it's a matter of stepping back a little to see more. Granted, I agree the matchup should be your primary focus, but it shouldn't be your only focus. The only way I found to get better at that was to practice - during my own games and while watching other games. I think it is a skill, and like any other, it takes a little practice.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Moral: You have to see more than just the initial matchup. Maybe it's a matter of stepping back a little to see more.
Like the color of the jerseys of nearby players??
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 03:02pm
MABO Member

I was given some advice regarding something similar to this. My situation was watching a matchup in the paint, I was starting to focus only on the posts when they were my responsibility. Another official told me that when I found myself in this postion (narrow focus) I could take a couple of steps backward, either away from the baseline if room, or out toward the 3 point line. Thus it broadens your field of view. I know it may sound wrong to actually move away from the play but it works. Then when you have something close down on the call.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Like the color of the jerseys of nearby players??
What?!? There were other players?!? They were wearing jerseys?!?

Exactly.

And, btw...oh, you know.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 03:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaref
Dont anticipate calls
I anticipate calls all the time. When I see certain coaches come into the gym, I anticipate that I will have a T or two before long. Usually it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
I was given some advice regarding something similar to this. My situation was watching a matchup in the paint, I was starting to focus only on the posts when they were my responsibility. Another official told me that when I found myself in this postion (narrow focus) I could take a couple of steps backward, either away from the baseline if room, or out toward the 3 point line. Thus it broadens your field of view. I know it may sound wrong to actually move away from the play but it works. Then when you have something close down on the call.
It's called perspective. Ever notice how you see every call in the stands or on TV but when you are 8 feet away, you miss things? you see more with a broader angle. When I used to ref, the first thing my instructor told me was to be close enough to see their hands, but be far enough to see what might happen on the next pass (i.e. screens, cutters). But that was a long time ago...
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Hehe. Come on, I'm trying to give him advice, not tell him about reality.

And yeah, I anticipate that mouthy little point guard is getting an early handcheck foul, too.

But seriously, you dont want to call the foul before one actually happens. That is the problem with antipating fouls. Think about what may happen and be ready to see it if it does.

Some good advice above about backing up. It is amazing. I remember my first year when someone showed me that. Your natural reaction to see better is to get closer to something. As an official, if you step back, you will see more and have a better look.

Good luck!
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I was once closely watching a dribbler/defender matchup; I had the perfect angle to see between them, I was watching for illegal hand checks, I had the pivot foot noted, man, was I set. The dribbler starts to take off, and all of a sudden, POW! the defender gets leveled by an illegal screen. Both the defender and screener hit the floor, and I hit the whistle. I was ready to report that foul.

Except...

It was a teammate of the defender that set the "illegal" screen. I look down, mutter a few choice words under my breath, tell everyone I have an inadvertant whistle and giave the ball back to the offense.

Moral: You have to see more than just the initial matchup. Maybe it's a matter of stepping back a little to see more. Granted, I agree the matchup should be your primary focus, but it shouldn't be your only focus. The only way I found to get better at that was to practice - during my own games and while watching other games. I think it is a skill, and like any other, it takes a little practice.
Heh. OK, good point, maybe I went a bit too far (but really...who cares what you think anyway)

But it was a good picture, wasn't it?
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Heh. OK, good point, maybe I went a bit too far (but really...who cares what you think anyway)

But it was a good picture, wasn't it?
Well, this is where I get confused - do I tell you to STFU, call you a certain delicate spring flower, thank you for the picture (it did bring a smile to my face), or something else?

This PC stuff really confuses the heck outta me.

Maybe I just need to take a couple of big bites of turkey and cranberry sauce.

(Used with permission.)