The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Anyone watching the Indiana/Ga Tech game? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39895-anyone-watching-indiana-ga-tech-game.html)

jdw3018 Tue Nov 27, 2007 08:46pm

Anyone watching the Indiana/Ga Tech game?

Just saw a designated spot violation called with the traveling mechanic...:confused:

tjones1 Tue Nov 27, 2007 08:59pm

Looks like Ed Hightower, Burr, and ?.

jdw3018 Tue Nov 27, 2007 09:01pm

One of the ?s is Steve Welmer...I'm not 100% sure on the other?

tjones1 Tue Nov 27, 2007 09:02pm

Yep... Welmer... just saw him adjusting his pants while in C.

tjones1 Tue Nov 27, 2007 09:03pm

Other is Burr. When I first typed it I could only see Ed as he was L, but then it went down to the other end - Burr came out with a call.

Who had the violation?

jdw3018 Tue Nov 27, 2007 09:05pm

Ah, Burr. Thought that might be him. Burr is the one who called it.

refnrev Tue Nov 27, 2007 09:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018
Just saw a designated spot violation called with the traveling mechanic...:confused:

Tell me it ain't so! Not in D-1.:confused:

zebraman Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnrev

Tell me it ain't so! Not in D-1.:confused:

I've seen it countless times on TV in D-1 games. Officials get to that level by managing games and being believable, not by having book-perfect mechanics.

However, it is confounding to think that it never entered their mind that it is impossible to travel when pivot foot restrictions do not apply.

BEAREF Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:46pm

I plead ignorance...what mechanic should be used? :confused:

tjones1 Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEAREF

Open hand for a violation. There is no other approved mechanic.

Adam Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1

My guess is these guys know this. My guess is they don't care because they think there should be a mechanic. My guess is they don't care because the coaches are smart enough to know what the call is when the use the mechanic.

My problem is when the 7th grade AAU coach is watching this and think the call was traveling, then thinks his players can't move their pivot foot during a throwin. You can usually tell these coaches by the way their players execute a throwin. If the thrower is pivoting off one foot like he's inbounds, his coach is 98.531341343513431% more likely to yell at you for not calling the other team's inbounder for traveling.

zebraman Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
My guess is these guys know this. My guess is they don't care because they think there should be a mechanic.

I was observing a D-2 tournament a couple weekends ago. After the first game, I was sitting with two of the officials as we watched the 2nd game. An official called a throw-in violation for running the endline on a spot throw-in. He gave the correct signal. One of the D-2 guys said, "why didn't he give the traveling signal?" We explained it to him.... took a while for him to comprehend. :rolleyes:

Nevadaref Wed Nov 28, 2007 04:00am

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by BEAREF

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1

That may be true for NCAA play, but there is a signal for this violation in NFHS rules.

The NFHS signal is #26 on the chart.

Rich Wed Nov 28, 2007 07:44am

Such terrible officials. I don't know how they get games :D

Nobody (but us) cares.

I was wondering watching the game if anyone would comment on this crew (I know Welmer and Hightower are favorites of many here). Me, I was thinking "what a high-powered crew for a non-conference game."

aces88 Wed Nov 28, 2007 08:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN
I was wondering watching the game if anyone would comment on this crew (I know Welmer and Hightower are favorites of many here). Me, I was thinking "what a high-powered crew for a non-conference game."

This is part of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. These are high profile games, so the officiating crews are being assigned accordingly.