The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

question #41 & 52 --NF

1. Hey guys. I am having trouble with question #41 ---> to me it is a play on words. I understand that you have a tech foul on a FT if the opponent GT's and not if the opponent BI's, but the word "OR" makes this a FALSE statement.

#41 Basket interference or goaltending by an opponent of the free thrower results in scoring the point plus a technical foul.

2. Also on question # 52 ----> If a sustitute enters illegally, he/she becomes a player after the ball becomes live.

The rule boook state that if entry is illegal, the sub becomes a player when the ball becomes live, not after. Is this just a play on words as well?

Your help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 08:46pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by welref
1. Hey guys. I am having trouble with question #41 ---> to me it is a play on words. I understand that you have a tech foul on a FT if the opponent GT's and not if the opponent BI's, but the word "OR" makes this a FALSE statement.

#41 Basket interference or goaltending by an opponent of the free thrower results in scoring the point plus a technical foul.

2. Also on question # 52 ----> If a sustitute enters illegally, he/she becomes a player after the ball becomes live.

The rule boook state that if entry is illegal, the sub becomes a player when the ball becomes live, not after. Is this just a play on words as well?

Your help would be appreciated. Thanks
#41 is FALSE. There is no technical on a basket interference on a FT. Only on a goaltending on a FT. 9.12.1 and 10.3.10

#52 is TRUE. 3.3.3. If it's live it's live.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

By using the word "or" in the sentence, it allows for one or the other action to be TRUE. Thus BI is not a tech foul, but Gt would be. So why would the question not be a TRUE statement --- I mistyped in my original thread when I stated that it should be a FALSE statement.

I can go with the logic on #52, but the wording is till a bit tricky
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 09:21pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by welref
By using the word "or" in the sentence, it allows for one or the other action to be TRUE. Thus BI is not a tech foul, but Gt would be. So why would the question not be a TRUE statement --- I mistyped in my original thread when I stated that it should be a FALSE statement.

I can go with the logic on #52, but the wording is till a bit tricky
Is #41 true if you read it without the "or goaltending"? Everything has to be true for the question to be true.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

There's no play on words.

#41 is false. Or means either. BI does not result in a T. Thereofre, the statement is false.

#52 is true. After the ball comes live = when the ball comes live.

You're reading too much into it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith