The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   question #41 & 52 --NF (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39053-question-41-52-nf.html)

welref Mon Oct 22, 2007 08:41pm

question #41 & 52 --NF

1. Hey guys. I am having trouble with question #41 ---> to me it is a play on words. I understand that you have a tech foul on a FT if the opponent GT's and not if the opponent BI's, but the word "OR" makes this a FALSE statement.

#41 Basket interference or goaltending by an opponent of the free thrower results in scoring the point plus a technical foul.

2. Also on question # 52 ----> If a sustitute enters illegally, he/she becomes a player after the ball becomes live.

The rule boook state that if entry is illegal, the sub becomes a player when the ball becomes live, not after. Is this just a play on words as well?

Your help would be appreciated. Thanks

KSRef07 Mon Oct 22, 2007 08:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by welref
1. Hey guys. I am having trouble with question #41 ---> to me it is a play on words. I understand that you have a tech foul on a FT if the opponent GT's and not if the opponent BI's, but the word "OR" makes this a FALSE statement.

#41 Basket interference or goaltending by an opponent of the free thrower results in scoring the point plus a technical foul.

2. Also on question # 52 ----> If a sustitute enters illegally, he/she becomes a player after the ball becomes live.

The rule boook state that if entry is illegal, the sub becomes a player when the ball becomes live, not after. Is this just a play on words as well?

Your help would be appreciated. Thanks

#41 is FALSE. There is no technical on a basket interference on a FT. Only on a goaltending on a FT. 9.12.1 and 10.3.10

#52 is TRUE. 3.3.3. If it's live it's live.

welref Mon Oct 22, 2007 09:10pm

By using the word "or" in the sentence, it allows for one or the other action to be TRUE. Thus BI is not a tech foul, but Gt would be. So why would the question not be a TRUE statement --- I mistyped in my original thread when I stated that it should be a FALSE statement.

I can go with the logic on #52, but the wording is till a bit tricky

KSRef07 Mon Oct 22, 2007 09:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by welref
By using the word "or" in the sentence, it allows for one or the other action to be TRUE. Thus BI is not a tech foul, but Gt would be. So why would the question not be a TRUE statement --- I mistyped in my original thread when I stated that it should be a FALSE statement.

I can go with the logic on #52, but the wording is till a bit tricky

Is #41 true if you read it without the "or goaltending"? Everything has to be true for the question to be true.

BktBallRef Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:36pm

There's no play on words.

#41 is false. Or means either. BI does not result in a T. Thereofre, the statement is false.

#52 is true. After the ball comes live = when the ball comes live.

You're reading too much into it.