The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
BTW - yes closely guarded is what I meant - I was having a brain cramp and for the life of me couldn't think "closely guarded"! sheeeeeesh!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
What is the lack of action mechanic?

Peace
Here it is....

Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 09:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
Here it is....

Say what?

There is no "lack of action" mechanic. There used to be, many years ago, but it is long-gone from the rule book.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Say what?

There is no "lack of action" mechanic. There used to be, many years ago, but it is long-gone from the rule book.
Its not Lack of action.. its "Not Closely Guarded". Its new I think for this season.

I just scanned that in from the 2007-2008 rule book this morning.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 09:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Its not Lack of action.. its "Not Closely Guarded". Its new I think for this season.

I just scanned that in from the 2007-2008 rule book this morning.
Um, yeah, and I'm still confused. Why did you post "not closely guarded" as being the "lack of action" mechanic when they've got absolutely nothing to do with each other? Just because someone is not being closely guarded doesn't mean that there's a lack of action.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurrasic Ref
Um, yeah, and I'm still confused. Why did you post "not closely guarded" as being the "lack of action" mechanic when they've got absolutely nothing to do with each other? Just because someone is not being closely guarded doesn't mean that there's a lack of action.
I posted it because of this... Just helping to clarify... They were talking about it earlier in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
BTW - yes closely guarded is what I meant - I was having a brain cramp and for the life of me couldn't think "closely guarded"! sheeeeeesh!
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Odd. Based on the title of this thread, I thought it was about that last guy who worked on my car.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 10:14am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I posted it because of this... Just helping to clarify... They were talking about it earlier in the thread.
Sorry,but what you posted didn't clarify anything. It just confused the matter. There is NO "lack of action" mechanic anymore. That was the point that Jeff Rutledge's was making. "Lack of action" and "not closely guarded" are completely different animals. They have nothing to do with each other.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 11:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Sorry,but what you posted didn't clarify anything. It just confused the matter. There is NO "lack of action" mechanic anymore. That was the point that Jeff Rutledge's was making. "Lack of action" and "not closely guarded" are completely different animals. They have nothing to do with each other.
The main difference is that "lack of action" means nothing to basketball rules, and hasn't in probably 20 years.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 11:57am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
"Lack of action" and "not closely guarded" are completely different animals. They have nothing to do with each other.
And Bearfanmike knows that, as do we all. But Mountaineer, who started the thread, couldn't think of the phrase "closely guarded" and asked about "lack of action" instead.

Bearfanmike was simply posting the signal that Mountaineer originally intended to talk about.

IMHO, he didn't confuse the issue at all.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 12:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
And Bearfanmike knows that, as do we all. But Mountaineer, who started the thread, couldn't think of the phrase "closely guarded" and asked about "lack of action" instead.

Bearfanmike was simply posting the signal that Mountaineer originally intended to talk about.

Maybe not, but he confused Jurrassic.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Maybe not, but he confused Jurrassic.
Confusing Jurassic doesn't take a lot of action, either.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 02:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Are you serious?

Rut posted, asking what is the "what is the 'lack of action' mechanic". Bearfanmike responded to Rut's quiery by basically saying that the "lack of action" mechanic is the same as the "not being closely guarded". Now, maybe somewhere in the wonderful world of IAABO , you might find somebody that might agree with that statement, but I can't think of any other knowledgeable official anywhere that would.

Not being closely guarded has absolutely NOTHING to do with a lack of action. Are you saying otherwise, Skippy?

Yes, it's a minor point and not worth arguing about, but I also think that people should know the difference between the two.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 04:46pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Are you serious?
In a word, yes. In more than a word, I stand by this statement from my previous post: "Bearfanmike was simply posting the signal that Mountaineer originally intended to talk about."
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 05:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
In a word, yes. In more than a word, I stand by this statement from my previous post: "Bearfanmike was simply posting the signal that Mountaineer originally intended to talk about."
Then why did he post it as an answer to the question asked by Jeff as to what the "lack of action" mechanic is? I'm dumb. You tell me what the relationship is---"lack of action" to "not closely guarded". Use small words, please, and talk slow.