The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Lack of Action Mechanic (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/38898-lack-action-mechanic.html)

Mountaineer Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:41pm

Lack of Action Mechanic

We had our state meeting tonight regarding rules changes and the normal blah, blah, blah. Our state interpreter has always hated the lack of action (edit - I made a mistake when originally posted - I meant closely guarded) mechanic with the arms extended. Every year he has always demonstrated this mechanic and informed us that this is NOT an accepted HS mechanic. He's on the national rules committe and very knowledgeable about the rules - but has a personal vendeta against this mechinic.

He told us in no-uncertain-terms tonight that in WV we will NOT be using this mechanic. He also called out several other states that would not be using this mechanic.

How many of you are not using it in your state?

JRutledge Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer
We had our state meeting tonight regarding rules changes and the normal blah, blah, blah. Our state interpreter has always hated the lack of action mechanic with the arms extended. Every year he has always demonstrated this mechanic and informed us that this is NOT an accepted HS mechanic. He's on the national rules committe and very knowledgeable about the rules - but has a personal vendeta against this mechinic.

He told us in no-uncertain-terms tonight that in WV we will NOT be using this mechanic. He also called out several other states that would not be using this mechanic.

What is the lack of action mechanic?

Peace

Rich Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer
We had our state meeting tonight regarding rules changes and the normal blah, blah, blah. Our state interpreter has always hated the lack of action mechanic with the arms extended. Every year he has always demonstrated this mechanic and informed us that this is NOT an accepted HS mechanic. He's on the national rules committe and very knowledgeable about the rules - but has a personal vendeta against this mechinic.

Sounds like your interpreter is an idiot.

rsox34 Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:35pm

Lack of Action mechanic?

Are you talking about the "not closely guarded mechanic?" This mechanic that the NFHS has finally adopted as official is not the same as the old lack of action signal that I think your interpreter dislikes. I personally never liked the not closely guarded signal--if I'm not counting--the defender is not within 6ft of the guy he is trying to defend. But others have used the "not closely guarded signal" for years and I guess the Fed finally gave in.

KSRef07 Wed Oct 17, 2007 01:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsox34
Are you talking about the "not closely guarded mechanic?" This mechanic that the NFHS has finally adopted as official is not the same as the old lack of action signal that I think your interpreter dislikes. I personally never liked the not closely guarded signal--if I'm not counting--the defender is not within 6ft of the guy he is trying to defend. But others have used the "not closely guarded signal" for years and I guess the Fed finally gave in.

I agree. Since when do we signal when something DID NOT happen!? In KS we only are "asked" to use it when WE want to clarify to the coaches or fans that the defender is slightly beyond 6 feet.

JRutledge Wed Oct 17, 2007 01:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSRef07
I agree. Since when do we signal when something DID NOT happen!? In KS we only are "asked" to use it when WE want to clarify to the coaches or fans that the defender is slightly beyond 6 feet.

Clarification is the entire reason the mechanic is to be used. You do not use it all the time.

Peace

KSRef07 Wed Oct 17, 2007 01:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
Clarification is the entire reason the mechanic is to be used. You do not use it all the time.

Peace

Agree.

Nevadaref Wed Oct 17, 2007 02:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge

Yep, that's what the comment on page 71 of the rules book says.

JRutledge Wed Oct 17, 2007 02:19am

You do not need a rulebook to clarify this. This was a college mechanic and that is all it was used for, clarification.

Peace

bob jenkins Wed Oct 17, 2007 08:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsox34

If, as you say, there are only two possibilities:

1) Closely guarded, and I'm counting
2) Not closely guarded, and I'm not counting

then there'd be no need for a signal.

But, there's a third possibility:

3) Closely guarded, and I'm not paying attention, so I'm not counting.

The signal tells the coach that you have situation 2, not situation 3.

kbilla Wed Oct 17, 2007 08:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSRef07

Just as a follow-on to this, what is the rule for determining the 6 foot distance for both NCAA & NFHS? At a HS camp this summer we were told that if a defender extended an arm toward the offensive player that was within the 6 foot distance, you start the count. However, I'm pretty sure that I have read in some of the NCAA material that the distance is judged by where the defenders feet, NOT where the hands are....is this truly a difference or was I given a bad interp this summer? I have always used the feet as the indicator and not started the count when a defender reaches out as far as they can while staying as far away as possible just to get a count started....

bob jenkins Wed Oct 17, 2007 08:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbilla
Just as a follow-on to this, what is the rule for determining the 6 foot distance for both NCAA & NFHS? At a HS camp this summer we were told that if a defender extended an arm toward the offensive player that was within the 6 foot distance, you start the count. However, I'm pretty sure that I have read in some of the NCAA material that the distance is judged by where the defenders feet, NOT where the hands are....is this truly a difference or was I given a bad interp this summer? I have always used the feet as the indicator and not started the count when a defender reaches out as far as they can while staying as far away as possible just to get a count started....

FED rulebook specifically says "forward foot... to forward foot"

kbilla Wed Oct 17, 2007 08:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins

Thanks Bob, that is what I suspected which is why I raised an eyebrow when that came up this summer....I guess you can't always trust the "experts"...do you have the reference?

bob jenkins Wed Oct 17, 2007 09:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbilla
Thanks Bob, that is what I suspected which is why I raised an eyebrow when that came up this summer....I guess you can't always trust the "experts"...do you have the reference?

4-Closely Guarded would be a good place to start.

Mark Padgett Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins

That's the correct procedure. I've had some men's rec teams where if you counted stomach to stomach, even though their feet were six feet apart, you'd have to count. And - don't get me started on women's teams. :p