The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hurricane, WV
Posts: 800
Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Lack of Action Mechanic

We had our state meeting tonight regarding rules changes and the normal blah, blah, blah. Our state interpreter has always hated the lack of action (edit - I made a mistake when originally posted - I meant closely guarded) mechanic with the arms extended. Every year he has always demonstrated this mechanic and informed us that this is NOT an accepted HS mechanic. He's on the national rules committe and very knowledgeable about the rules - but has a personal vendeta against this mechinic.

He told us in no-uncertain-terms tonight that in WV we will NOT be using this mechanic. He also called out several other states that would not be using this mechanic.

How many of you are not using it in your state?
__________________
Larry Ledbetter
NFHS, NCAA, NAIA

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.

Last edited by Mountaineer; Fri Oct 19, 2007 at 08:31pm.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 10:43pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 28,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
We had our state meeting tonight regarding rules changes and the normal blah, blah, blah. Our state interpreter has always hated the lack of action mechanic with the arms extended. Every year he has always demonstrated this mechanic and informed us that this is NOT an accepted HS mechanic. He's on the national rules committe and very knowledgeable about the rules - but has a personal vendeta against this mechinic.

He told us in no-uncertain-terms tonight that in WV we will NOT be using this mechanic. He also called out several other states that would not be using this mechanic.

How many of you are not using it in your state?
What is the lack of action mechanic?

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 10:53pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
We had our state meeting tonight regarding rules changes and the normal blah, blah, blah. Our state interpreter has always hated the lack of action mechanic with the arms extended. Every year he has always demonstrated this mechanic and informed us that this is NOT an accepted HS mechanic. He's on the national rules committe and very knowledgeable about the rules - but has a personal vendeta against this mechinic.

He told us in no-uncertain-terms tonight that in WV we will NOT be using this mechanic. He also called out several other states that would not be using this mechanic.

How many of you are not using it in your state?
Sounds like your interpreter is an idiot.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH
Posts: 52
Lack of Action mechanic?

Are you talking about the "not closely guarded mechanic?" This mechanic that the NFHS has finally adopted as official is not the same as the old lack of action signal that I think your interpreter dislikes. I personally never liked the not closely guarded signal--if I'm not counting--the defender is not within 6ft of the guy he is trying to defend. But others have used the "not closely guarded signal" for years and I guess the Fed finally gave in.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 01:11am
KSRef07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsox34
Are you talking about the "not closely guarded mechanic?" This mechanic that the NFHS has finally adopted as official is not the same as the old lack of action signal that I think your interpreter dislikes. I personally never liked the not closely guarded signal--if I'm not counting--the defender is not within 6ft of the guy he is trying to defend. But others have used the "not closely guarded signal" for years and I guess the Fed finally gave in.
I agree. Since when do we signal when something DID NOT happen!? In KS we only are "asked" to use it when WE want to clarify to the coaches or fans that the defender is slightly beyond 6 feet.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 01:18am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 28,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRef07
I agree. Since when do we signal when something DID NOT happen!? In KS we only are "asked" to use it when WE want to clarify to the coaches or fans that the defender is slightly beyond 6 feet.
Clarification is the entire reason the mechanic is to be used. You do not use it all the time.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 01:22am
KSRef07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Clarification is the entire reason the mechanic is to be used. You do not use it all the time.

Peace
Agree.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 02:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Clarification is the entire reason the mechanic is to be used. You do not use it all the time.
Yep, that's what the comment on page 71 of the rules book says.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 02:19am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 28,948
You do not need a rulebook to clarify this. This was a college mechanic and that is all it was used for, clarification.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 08:11am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsox34
Are you talking about the "not closely guarded mechanic?" This mechanic that the NFHS has finally adopted as official is not the same as the old lack of action signal that I think your interpreter dislikes. I personally never liked the not closely guarded signal--if I'm not counting--the defender is not within 6ft of the guy he is trying to defend. But others have used the "not closely guarded signal" for years and I guess the Fed finally gave in.
If, as you say, there are only two possibilities:

1) Closely guarded, and I'm counting
2) Not closely guarded, and I'm not counting

then there'd be no need for a signal.

But, there's a third possibility:

3) Closely guarded, and I'm not paying attention, so I'm not counting.

The signal tells the coach that you have situation 2, not situation 3.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 08:21am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRef07
I agree. Since when do we signal when something DID NOT happen!? In KS we only are "asked" to use it when WE want to clarify to the coaches or fans that the defender is slightly beyond 6 feet.
Just as a follow-on to this, what is the rule for determining the 6 foot distance for both NCAA & NFHS? At a HS camp this summer we were told that if a defender extended an arm toward the offensive player that was within the 6 foot distance, you start the count. However, I'm pretty sure that I have read in some of the NCAA material that the distance is judged by where the defenders feet, NOT where the hands are....is this truly a difference or was I given a bad interp this summer? I have always used the feet as the indicator and not started the count when a defender reaches out as far as they can while staying as far away as possible just to get a count started....
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 08:25am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
Just as a follow-on to this, what is the rule for determining the 6 foot distance for both NCAA & NFHS? At a HS camp this summer we were told that if a defender extended an arm toward the offensive player that was within the 6 foot distance, you start the count. However, I'm pretty sure that I have read in some of the NCAA material that the distance is judged by where the defenders feet, NOT where the hands are....is this truly a difference or was I given a bad interp this summer? I have always used the feet as the indicator and not started the count when a defender reaches out as far as they can while staying as far away as possible just to get a count started....
FED rulebook specifically says "forward foot... to forward foot"
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 08:30am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
FED rulebook specifically says "forward foot... to forward foot"
Thanks Bob, that is what I suspected which is why I raised an eyebrow when that came up this summer....I guess you can't always trust the "experts"...do you have the reference?
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 09:05am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
Thanks Bob, that is what I suspected which is why I raised an eyebrow when that came up this summer....I guess you can't always trust the "experts"...do you have the reference?
4-Closely Guarded would be a good place to start.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 10:16am
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
FED rulebook specifically says "forward foot... to forward foot"
That's the correct procedure. I've had some men's rec teams where if you counted stomach to stomach, even though their feet were six feet apart, you'd have to count. And - don't get me started on women's teams.
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parents lack of sportsmanship CK Football 6 Sun Oct 08, 2006 02:03am
Lack of Fed accessability BoomerSooner Basketball 16 Fri Feb 27, 2004 01:17pm
Sportsmanship (or lack thereof) paulis Soccer 3 Mon May 19, 2003 06:54pm
batters box (or lack thereof) paulis Baseball 12 Mon Jul 08, 2002 10:23pm
closely guarded and lack of suficeint action sip Basketball 5 Wed Mar 01, 2000 03:57pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1