The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Lightbulb

I've been searching around in an attempt to find a copy of a Fed rule book for a buddy of mine. He won't cough up the dough for it, because he is just interested in it as a spectator. Actually he is just tired of going to games with me and not realizing why when he and everyone else is booing a call, I'm clapping and shouting great call. I've let him skim my copy but am not going to loan it to him. He isn't too good about returning things.

Anyway, this got me to thinking...why doesn't NFHS make its rule book available in some way. I know they have to make their money, but assuming even 10% of the basketball community knew the rules, everyone from players to coaches to spectators (excluding officials who should know the rules and have hopefully bought a copy of the book anyway) the info would spread. Eventually knowledge would spread and our job would become maybe a little easier (people will always question our judgement). At least, we could avoid some of the popular myths like the over-the-back call and the airball-rebound-no travel call.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BoomerSooner
Anyway, this got me to thinking...why doesn't NFHS make its rule book available in some way.
They do make it available. Your friend can own one by sending $6.50 to the NFHS.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 08:47am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

From BktBallRef:
They do make it available. Your friend can own one by sending $6.50 to the NFHS

If I recall correctly, NFHS has a $10.00 minimum order requirement, so this person would have to buy two items.

Luckily I am still involved with softball, so I just get a softball book when I order a basketball book from them.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stat-Man
From BktBallRef:
They do make it available. Your friend can own one by sending $6.50 to the NFHS

If I recall correctly, NFHS has a $10.00 minimum order requirement, so this person would have to buy two items.
Right, like the rules book and the case book.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 10:00am
Ref Ump Welsch

I think what this person is asking, is why doesn't the Fed put the rulebook on the website, like the NCAA does. They won't lose any money on it, as buying the whole book is cheaper than downloading the PDF file of it and printing the whole thing. People would rather spend $6.50 than to spend approximately $20 bucks (a friend figured that up, based on pages and potential amount of ink it would take to print out-thank God for computer geeks!).
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BoomerSooner
He won't cough up the dough for it, because he is just interested in it as a spectator. Actually he is just tired of going to games with me and not realizing why when he and everyone else is booing a call, I'm clapping and shouting great call.
If he really cares, he'll cough up the few bucks for a book.

Z
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 10:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
I think what this person is asking, is why doesn't the Fed put the rulebook on the website, like the NCAA does. They won't lose any money on it, as buying the whole book is cheaper than downloading the PDF file of it and printing the whole thing. People would rather spend $6.50 than to spend approximately $20 bucks (a friend figured that up, based on pages and potential amount of ink it would take to print out-thank God for computer geeks!).

If the FED had the rule book in PDF on their web site, couldn't you just down load that PDF file onto your own PC? No need to print it out then.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

In all seriousness, I think that we (including the Federation) could do a better job of making the rules of the game accessible. I would prefer free and total distribution of the rules and case books in electronic form, but I understand the reasons for a small fee.

Nonetheless, a "basketball rules for dummies" written and maintained by a small group of knowledgable people (like the folks on this board) could help. It could be free and freely distrbuted. Like an "FAQ" (frequently asked questions) in the computer world.

Frankly, most fans do not know the rules at all. Most youth coaches think that they "know the rules" but they do not really. Most high school coaches do not know the rules well. I am not speaking about the fine details (e.g. false double fouls), but about the most common fouls and violations (e.g. what is legal guarding position).

Amazingly, when most fans and coaches yell silly things at the officials they honestly believe that they make sense. Really.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Randal
In all seriousness, I think that we (including the Federation) could do a better job of making the rules of the game accessible. I would prefer free and total distribution of the rules and case books in electronic form, but I understand the reasons for a small fee.
I agree here. But let's understand that our interest in the rules is much greater than the average joe. There are many out there that would enjoy access to the rules but not spend time reading about the fine points. Heard the phrase, "I know enough to be dangerous." This is how parents would get. Dangerous.

Who needs some ignorant spectator trying to quote a rule that he only read part of?
Old Thu Feb 26, 2004, 01:01pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
People would rather spend $6.50 than to spend approximately $20 bucks (a friend figured that up, based on pages and potential amount of ink it would take to print out-thank God for computer geeks!).
It would not be $20. Not even close.

That computer geek is a neophyte.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

You can also download "text only" from a pdf file, and save money.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 03:54am
Official Forum Member

As part of my dues with the local association(s) I get a new copy of the rule book and case book each year. Why not simply give your buddy last year's copy of the rule book and case book if he's interested. That way he'll be able to get the jist of the rules that he wants, and if he's still interested, then he can buy the current rule book for 6.50.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Why doesn't the Fed make it available at sporting goods stores? Put it in a rack next to the basketballs. While it wouldn't be on the non-fiction best seller list, I bet a lot of people would pick it up.

- Catherine Aird
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 08:33am
Ref Ump Welsch

Gotta be careful about PDF files that would take up too much space on your computer. I downloaded the NCAA football rule book, and saved it on my computer. Computer started to run slow, and then I decided to buy the book online. Got my copy in the mail, then deleted the PDF file, and the computer ran much faster.

By the way, it can be expensive to print a rule book online, because it takes about 100 sheets of paper, and ink can go like crazy printing a PDF file, depending on how it's posted. I did a 150 page file once last year, on a new cartridge, then another 150 page file, and next thing I knew, time to replace the cartridge. I checked my printer settings, and it was on normal ink, etc. Friend explained that sometimes files will have little marks on it when they scan them, that eats up the extra ink. The cartridge I had should have lasted 500 pages. You'd be surprised.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 08:35am
Ref Ump Welsch

I also like the idea of selling the rule books in sporting goods stores. I notice the NCAA basketball rule books are available at Barnes and Noble. However, it's not the actual copy that we would order from the NCAA, but the same rule book with a different cover distributed by some other publishing company.