The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
That's the correct procedure. I've had some men's rec teams where if you counted stomach to stomach, even though their feet were six feet apart, you'd have to count. And - don't get me started on women's teams.
Mark, stomach to stomach . Can they see their feet to know if they are within the required distance to start a count? Just asking.
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 12:35pm
Administrator

This has been a signal in CCA Men' and /Women's Manuals for a number of years. I have never used the signal in a college game and I will never use the signal in a H.S. game for one simple reason: If I AIN'T counting, then there is no closely guarded situation.

The signal is by far the most stupid idiotic signal one could think of. The signal is for coaches who are too stupid to understand the concept that if the official is not counting it means that that is no closely guarded situation.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
4-Closely Guarded would be a good place to start.
Perhaps this was once specified in the rules, or was once issued as an interp? I have never seen this in the rule book anywhere. It's not in 4-10.
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
This has been a signal in CCA Men' and /Women's Manuals for a number of years. I have never used the singal in a college game and I will never use the signal in a H.S. game for one simple reason: If I AIN'T counting, then there is no closely guarded situation.

The signal is by far the most stupid idiotic signal one could think of. The signal is for coaches who are too stupid to understand the concept that if the official is not counting it means that that is no closely guarded situation.

MTD, Sr.
Come on, Mark. Don't sugar coat it. Tell us how you really feel.
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 12:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Mark, stomach to stomach . Can they see their feet to know if they are within the required distance to start a count? Just asking.
As long as you don't ask a similar question about women's games, you're OK.
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 12:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
This has been a signal in CCA Men' and /Women's Manuals for a number of years. I have never used the signal in a college game and I will never use the signal in a H.S. game for one simple reason: If I AIN'T counting, then there is no closely guarded situation.

MTD, Sr.
I do not see where is says you have to use it or else. I think it is a great mechanic and I use it. I will use it many times when I see it is necessary. And when a coach starts yelling there should be a count, this signal tells them why I do not have a count without having to yell at the coach later what I was thinking. Mechanics should be to tell everyone watching what we are seeing. And in cases of a closely guarded situation, just not giving a count does not always tell the story. Some people do not count out of incompetence. At least this signal tells everyone why you do not have a count.

Mark if you do not like the signal, do not use it. Just like when they brought in the “kicking” signal it is better than just calling a violation and pointing. I am sure there were people that were not sure why you called a violation if you did not use the “kicking” signal. And at least that mechanic was accepted even thought it was not approved. I did not hear anyone complaining when that was implemented.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 01:21pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Mechanics should be to tell everyone watching what we are seeing. And in cases of a closely guarded situation, just not giving a count does not always tell the story. Some people do not count out of incompetence. At least this signal tells everyone why you do not have a count.
I like the addition of this new mechanic at the HS level, it helps us to communicate with coaches without having to talk to them
Perception is reality!
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 01:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
And when a coach starts yelling there should be a count, this signal tells them why I do not have a count without having to yell at the coach later what I was thinking.
Rut - next time a coach is yelling about this, blow your whistle, take a tape measure out of your pocket and measure the distance between the players. Then say to the coach something like, "Nope, coach - it's 6 feet 3 inches - sorry. I'll be glad to do this every time you yell".
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rut - next time a coach is yelling about this, blow your whistle, take a tape measure out of your pocket and measure the distance between the players. Then say to the coach something like, "Nope, coach - it's 6 feet 3 inches - sorry. I'll be glad to do this every time you yell".
Better yet, bring in a set of football-style chains. Then when the coach yells, whistle, bring out the chains, and measure it.
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

I like the chains idea...but the first down yellow line would be even better...
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The players would have to freeze on the whistle - it'd be like girls' lacrosse.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

We are adopting it here in Iowa as far as I know (rules meetings are still a couple of weeks away). Personally I think it is an unnecessary mechanic. If I'm counting, the player is closely guarded, if I'm not, they aren't. I'll do what the state says though.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

I used to have a really nice Stanley Measuring Tape....the metal kind that you push the button and it rolls up, you know the type. Close to the end of the season, a player get his feet tangled up in it and ruined my measuring tape so I was unable to make a closely guarded call for the remainder of the season. Flash forward to now, does anyone have any suggestions where I could get another one? Should I get cuffs, pleats, patton, it's all so confusing.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
I used to have a really nice Stanley Measuring Tape....the metal kind that you push the button and it rolls up, you know the type. Close to the end of the season, a player get his feet tangled up in it and ruined my measuring tape so I was unable to make a closely guarded call for the remainder of the season. Flash forward to now, does anyone have any suggestions where I could get another one? Should I get cuffs, pleats, patton, it's all so confusing.
Careful, Chris - I see where we're scheduled together a few times, and I might just bring along my 25' Stanley...

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
4-Closely Guarded would be a good place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Perhaps this was once specified in the rules, or was once issued as an interp? I have never seen this in the rule book anywhere. It's not in 4-10.
BITS, you must be looking at the 2006-07 book. The forward foot to forward foot directive appears in the new 2007-08 version.