The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

I am a basketball official so I admit going in that I am not familiar with soccer officiating. In basketball we address the coaches and captains before the contest and mention that all participants are expected to display the highest levels of sportsmanship. Thereafter, it is our responsibility as the game officials that the contest be played accordingly. Occasionally, a coach or captain will complain that we are not calling enough and that play is getting rough. Same thing or something similar in soccer?

Not last night. My son plays for the local high school varsity team and what we witnessed as spectators made my blood boil. I did notice the officials talking briefly with the teams while they inspected their equipment and then with the captains at mid-field prior to the game. Any mention of sportsmanship here? Less than 3 minutes into the game and the home team is pushing, shoving, running into and taunting the visiting team. The officials called some stuff (even issued a couple of yellow cards) but apparantly tired of the routine as the home team continued their ways. As the game progressed (or regressed) the officials called less and less. The home coach did not seem too concerned about the rough and reckless play of his team and on 2 occasions when an official came to the home bench area (do they notify the coach of the offense for a yellow card?) the coach conveniently turned his back and walked away.

Yes, I will be writing a letter to the home team's Principal, Athletic Director and Coach so that hopefully the issue is at least addressed. I guess my question is: if the officials let the game get overly physical, does the coach have the responsibility to make sure his players observe good sportsmanship? As the officials called less, the players became more physical (and I am talking dirty play here, not just bumping)
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to SpeedyGonGoalie
First of all, I don't know what state you're from, but I know in some places, the best soccer refs refuse to do high school games, for various reasons. To answer your question, coaches have a responsibility to instill in their players a sense of sportsmanship and respect for the game. I think soccer is one of those games lacking the most in that respect in America, particularly because their is not as much history as in football or baseball. But if a coach doesn't do this, it is the responsibiliy of the officials to ensure the games are played within the sprit and letter of the rules, including sportsmanship.

As for the coach, I believe what you saw were two warnings. One would have been an informal warning, just to keep quiet. The other was probably a formal, booked caution, but no card was shown. I don't know what rules your state plays under concerning misconduct, but unless local rules allow it, cards are not shown to anyone other than players and subs.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Interestingly enough, the coach of this team, which finished last season as co-champions in their division, was fired midway through this season.
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
If either of you want a serious response, say so.
It would be long, so I won't take the time otherwise.