The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 01:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
ANY time you go to a camp - whether you know the clinicians or not - you should realize that there will be different personalities there, and some of them will be calm, rational people (like our own beloved Jurassic ), and some will be yellers and screamers (like our own M&m Guy )...if you can't handle those types of people, don't go to a camp...
True. I've never yelled at anyone during an evaluation. I don't believe in teaching through intimidation. Just list what they need to work on and where they need to improve, and always find something half-way good that they did do so you can end the evaluation on a positive note.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
True. I've never yelled at anyone during an evaluation. I don't believe in teaching through intimidation. Just list what they need to work on and where they need to improve, and always find something half-way good that they did do so you can end the evaluation on a positive note.
Shh...this is very good advice, and I agree with it. But I don't want it to get out because it might ruin my reputation...

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 01:53pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
...and some are just butt-kissers and severely medicated, like our own rockyroad...

None of the medications I take are severe...there are a few strange side effects, but as long as it doesn't last more than 36 hours, I don't have to go see the doctor again!!
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 02:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is getting good.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
I agree with the clinicians having vastly different personalities. Recently I attended my first ever camp &
Great!!!
Quote:
some clinicians were focused more on campers appearance than the calls they missed,
Why, you may ask. Because it matters. We're salespeople out there. It doesn't matter if you got the call right if no one believes you. How you look has a huge role on your believability....particulary if you're an unknown to the coaches/players. Do you appear confident and capable? Do you appear in sufficient shape to keep up? Do you appear like you care? Do you look like you pay attention to detalis? Do you appear focused and ready? If you walk into the gym with a negative first impression, you may have hard time recovering credibility even if your calls are great.

If you've been around for 15-20 years and all the coaches know you, appearance doesn't matter nearly as much....if at all. They made their judgement of you years ago.

If you're going to camp, you're likely trying to move up....to levels where you'll encounter new coaches and new players. The clinician is teaching one of the facets of moving up.

Quote:
others were more focused on position rather than the quality of calls,
Again, you may ask why?

They're trying to give the campers the tools to make a quality call. Quality calls will not come with reliability from the wrong positions. From the wrong position, it will often turn into a guess, rather than a quality call....with a much higher probability of being wrong (or at least a poor choice of calls). So, the first thing to do is get the official in the correct spot to be able to see the play. Only then can you tell if a poor quality call is from poor judgement or from being out of position.

Quote:
some were even focused on the way we ran.
Again, believability. If you appear to be struggling to get down the floor, how believable will you be? If you appear to get down the floor with ease, what do you think will be the difference? If you appear to be walking down the floor versus trotting, even if your speed is the same, you make be perceived as lazy or not interested.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 03:39pm
Ch1town

Even though I didn't have any questions at all & was mainly talking about the personalities (ie: the differnent things each clinician were looking for in campers) thanks for breaking my post down for me. Much appreciated
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
None of the medications I take are severe...there are a few strange side effects, but as long as it doesn't last more than 36 hours, I don't have to go see the doctor again!!
I thought it was 4 hours for "those" meds . . .
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 04:03pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
I thought it was 4 hours for "those" meds . . .
Now that would explain a few things, wouldn't it!!
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Even though I didn't have any questions at all & was mainly talking about the personalities (ie: the differnent things each clinician were looking for in campers) thanks for breaking my post down for me. Much appreciated
Why the attitude?

My points were not so much targeted at you but at others who may read it who may have yet to experienced such a camp and may not understand what you understood. I meet many officials that think their ability to tell a block from a charge is all that matters.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Jun 13, 2007 at 04:40pm.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 04:47pm
Ch1town

No problems here, just seemed as though you were breaking down my thoughts for me. I'm visined up now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
I meet many officials that think their ability to tell a block from a charge is all that matters.
I tend to call those people referees (anybody can blow a whistle & ref a game, it takes a lil' more to officiate a ballgame).

Last edited by Ch1town; Wed Jun 13, 2007 at 04:50pm.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 05:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

My points were not so much targeted at you but at others who may read it who may have yet to experienced such a camp and may not understand what you understood.
Fwiw, Camron, I though that you made some excellent points. I agreed completely with your take.

Of course, whatinthehell do I know?
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
This story reminds me of my camp experience from two summers ago. The camp was being held at LSUS and we were calling a 3 man game that got pretty out of hand. I called 2 obvious intentional fouls when the camp director takes it upon himself to blow a whistle and stop the game. He walked out onto the court and told me that I could not call any more fouls the rest of the game. I was already tired and aggravated we were in triple OT and he comes at me with this. I could not help but laugh in his face and continue calling MY game. He tried to get it where I could not call any more games for his camp but thankfully the Assignment Secretary took up for me. People these days, I tell you.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2007, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandan89
This story reminds me of my camp experience from two summers ago. The camp was being held at LSUS and we were calling a 3 man game that got pretty out of hand. I called 2 obvious intentional fouls when the camp director takes it upon himself to blow a whistle and stop the game. He walked out onto the court and told me that I could not call any more fouls the rest of the game. I was already tired and aggravated we were in triple OT and he comes at me with this. I could not help but laugh in his face and continue calling MY game. He tried to get it where I could not call any more games for his camp but thankfully the Assignment Secretary took up for me. People these days, I tell you.
I take it this was NOT a referee training camp...but merely a player's camp that refs were hired to work.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Quote:
I take it this was NOT a referee training camp...but merely a player's camp that refs were hired to work.
The first day of this player camp was an officials camp but then of course they just needed officials to work the basketball camp.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I meet many officials that think their ability to tell a block from a charge is all that matters.
And then there are some that think this ability doesn't matter at all -- it's all politics, call what I want, not what the rules book says, etc.