The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Has anyone looked into the book being offered now through Referee Magazine - something about methodologies for evaluating officials? I'm planning to order this book but would be interested in anyone's review.

The title is: Evaluating Officiating Performance
and the cover shows:
Excellent Officiating Defined
How to Run An Effective Evaluation Program
Model Evaluation Form & Essential Guidelines
Price: $12.95, NASO $10.35

I see NASO has a Special Report of the same title. Price is only $5.

As a new officer in an association of approximately 100 Basketball Officials without a valid evaluation program I could use some guidance.

I also recognize that an evaluation program must serve two functions (maybe more?): 1) improvement of the officials, and 2) ranking for season assignments and tournament play. Please address your comments to these functions.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2003, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

The model evaluation form is free from NASO and is available on NASO's web site.

I received the report when it came out as a NASO member and it has a lot of usefull information.

In my opinion, an effective evaluation system takes a lot of work and commitment by the organization.

If others have any online info about their associations evaluation system, please post links. I would be interested also in looking at what others are doing.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2003, 08:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Vietti
The model evaluation form is free from NASO and is available on NASO's web site.

I received the report when it came out as a NASO member and it has a lot of usefull information.

In my opinion, an effective evaluation system takes a lot of work and commitment by the organization.

If others have any online info about their associations evaluation system, please post links. I would be interested also in looking at what others are doing.
Rick,
John Sandlin's association in Michigan has an excellent set-up. Maybe he'll share.
mick