The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I just received my first evaluation. I have been officiating for three years now and this is the first time I have had this type of feedback on a formal basis from my association. I will say that I am pleased with my ranking, which should translate into a pretty good schedule next year. I know I'm not ready to be calling State Finals or anything like that (and they agreed), but this will probably move me up from the "Our Lady of the Perpetual Turnover" games.

I have heard many of you talk about your own evaluations and I have wondered how I would stand in the eyes of an evaluator. I have been to camp and learned a lot from the clinicians that worked with me there, but this is coming from my home association. This is coming from those that will be making out my schedule, and I am especially interested in what THEY think about my officiating.

Forgive me for being full of myself at this point, but I am pumped up and wanted to share this with all of you that have contributed so much to this forum. Having "lived through" so many of the situations that have been posted here, and the rules discussions, gives rooks like me the confidence to be able to just go out and concentrate on being in the right place and making good calls. Thanks!

WooHoo!
Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Congrats, looks like you have a bright future.
Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 09:59pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Attaboy, Mike !
You are very lucky to have anybody evaluate you.
It's been a long time since anyone had said anything about my game, and I miss it.
mick
Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Way-to-go MIKE!!!

Congrats on the positive evaluation. Keep working hard and success will follow.

Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow My 1st eval this season too...

Congrats-I also had my 1st formal evaluaton this season (3rd year in the association), and I was also pleasantly surprised with the results. It just goes to show you what some hard work can do to impress those who evaluate-keep it up!
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Mike --

After I got that first big "move-up evaluation", the high lasted about -- well, it's been nine months and it hasn't worn off yet. Hope it's as great for you!
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

We don't get evaluations here, but I sort of fell into my first important varsity girls game last week. I was contracted to do the jv game, these are neighboring schools, from the same conference, and bit rivals in any sport that you can name. I did the jv game and do to a combination of AD dismissal/ref injuries they had a varsity no-show and asked me to stay and do the varsity game. We had a great game, only one traveling call, probably less than 15 turnovers for the entire game, (including overtime) and I think that we only called about 25 fouls total. Home team won by one point on a banked-in three pointer at the buzzer. What a rush!!!
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Wink

BEing a Rookie- we get evaluated our first and second year by every veteran watching the game. At the end of my first season I had over 25 evaluations plus two observations from by big brother. With the evaluations, tests, and attendence at meetings Rookies move up to Providual members. At the end of the second year you are then voted for full membership. After full membership- officials are rated by the Comm. for levals of play- first and second year officials do not officiate above JV with greener ones only calling Girls A ball or lower (down to middle school)
I have been fortunate to call some JV AAA ball this year- I learned that I have a lot to learn about game management- mechanics are good- judgment will hopefully improve with time and more feedback. Our Association does a great job helping folks to grow and learn!
My big brother says all went well my first year! Ok on to watching some playoff games (if we dig out of the snow)- end of the year banquet where we are voted on and on to next year!
IT HAS BEEN FUN!! Every game has been the best! OK my family thinks I'm nuts about a GV girls game that only 30 or so fans are present- so what- each one is like the finals of a NCAA barn burner

Stew in VA
CVBOA
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
We in Seattle do that same as stewcall, However we go beyond that and have evaluation for our varsity folks as well. We each get 5 evaluation per season from paid evaluators, (former officials, Current College officials, etc). if you are interested in the form we use go to http://home.officiating.com/sowb/Doc...serverform.pdf

we use these score to determine position on our varsity and non-varsity lists, playoff and state tourney assignments.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 03:37pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo
We in Seattle do that same as stewcall, However we go beyond that and have evaluation for our varsity folks as well. We each get 5 evaluation per season from paid evaluators, (former officials, Current College officials, etc). if you are interested in the form we use go to http://home.officiating.com/sowb/Doc...serverform.pdf

we use these score to determine position on our varsity and non-varsity lists, playoff and state tourney assignments.
Thanks, Ron !
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

We do similar to stewcall & Ron. Each non-varsity official has the opportunity to "start" an evaluation by preparing a self-evaluation form and asking the varsity officials to add their comments -- assuming they have watched any of the game(s). All varisty officials rate their partners and both the non-varsity & varsity ratings are given to the association VP, who also is responsible for ratings. The ratings are used (for non-varisty officials) to determine who gets invited to a camp that we use to decide who moves up to "swing list". Low rated varsity officials have been known to be "demoted" to swing -- but this is rare.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Hey mick,

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Attaboy, Mike !
It's been a long time since anyone had said anything about my game, and I miss it.
mick
I'd give you a "1" anytime!
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 02:54pm
In Memoriam

Re: Hey mick,

Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Attaboy, Mike !
mick
I'd give you a "1" anytime!
Thanks, oatmealqueen.
I needed that.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Talking Classic Mickey

Mickey Crowley tells a story about working a UCONN game years ago. At the time, coaches rated each official for each game. 1 was the lowest rating, 5 was the highest. This particular UCONN game was very hotly contested and as it turned out, UCONN lost by 1 or 2 in OT. As the officials were leaving the floor, Coach Calhoun called out to Mickey, "Mickey you guys were great tonight. You get a 5!" He paused just long enough for Mickey to take a little pride in the compliment. Then Calhoun finished his thought. . . "The three of you can split it up any [bleep]ing way you want!"

Chuck
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
Smile

I LOVE BEING EVALUATED AND ITS ALWAYS NICE WHEN SOMEONE SEES SOME AREA OF YOUR GAME THAT NEED TO BE TWEAKED AND THEY DO IT WITH GREAT ENTHUSIASM AND MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD INSTEAD OF DOUBT YOUR ABILITIES. I JUST GOT MY FIRST EVALUATION AND IT'S NICE WHEN THE SENIOR REFS IN THE ASSOC TELL ME THAT I SHOULD BE DOING COLLEGE WITHIN 3-4 YEARS.

BUT WAIT, THEN THERE'S THE BIG-HEAD SYNDROME, COACHES HATE A REF WITH A BIG HEAD...