The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 12:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
You are mistaken. You many think that you use the NCAA rules for the shot clock in CA HS games, but in truth your official policy is to employ the rules modifications published in the CBOA manual which were written by Bill White.
Can you explain why they do not use NCAA Rules? What are the differences?

Peace
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
No shot clock in VA.
Actually, there is a shot clock in VA on the girls side of the Independent School League (Northern VA, DC & MD).
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Send your opinions/complaints to:

www.nfhs.org.

MEDIA CONTACTS: Bruce Howard or John Gillis, 317-972-6900

National Federation of State High School Associations

PO Box 690, Indianapolis, Indiana 46206

[email protected] or [email protected]
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
You are mistaken. You many think that you use the NCAA rules for the shot clock in CA HS games, but in truth your official policy is to employ the rules modifications published in the CBOA manual which were written by Bill White.
I am not mistaken. Next time you can use my whole quote..... we do use the NCAA rules regarding the shot clock except for the kicked ball which only became different when the NCAA changed the rule a couple years ago. And there was talk even at that time that the kicked ball rule would change for the high school level as well. As late as a month before the season it was to be implemented until we received a directive from Dr. White that CIF would keep the kick rule as it was. Dr. White told me he took the rules straight from the NCAA. If you can find anything in the CBOA manual that shows it being any different from NCAA, let me know. Directly off page 22 in the handbook --
"The rules governing the shot clock for high school basketball are the same as those used in NCAA Men and Womens games with one exception: a kicked ball results in a full reset of the shot clock."
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 11:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
"The rules governing the shot clock for high school basketball are the same as those used in NCAA Men and Womens games with one exception: a kicked ball results in a full reset of the shot clock."
Do not worry. It is not the first time he comes out all big and bold only to be wrong. That is why I asked a follow-up question. I trust people that actually work in that state than someone that only reads about what goes on in that state.

Peace
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Can you explain why they do not use NCAA Rules? What are the differences?

Peace

Various reasons led to the use of the shot clock. Speed of play, as well as, preparation for the next level are a couple. Also, it helps officials tremendously in clock awareness and game management going into the college ranks. At most college camps around the country, there is no shot clock. It's definitely one of the things that's hard to tell at camp for assignors whether an official is a good clock manager. For us, it's ingrained in us from freshmen level all the way up.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 11:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Various reasons led to the use of the shot clock. Speed of play, as well as, preparation for the next level are a couple. Also, it helps officials tremendously in clock awareness and game management going into the college ranks. At most college camps around the country, there is no shot clock. It's definitely one of the things that's hard to tell at camp for assignors whether an official is a good clock manager. For us, it's ingrained in us from freshmen level all the way up.
I was not responding to you. I was asking this question of the person whose quote was also in the post. Once again, I trust the person that lives in the particular state to know more than someone that does not. Personally I have very little opinion about the shot clock at the HS level. If they ever go to it where I live, I would be OK with it. If they never changed the rule, I would be OK with that too.

Peace
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was not responding to you. I was asking this question of the person whose quote was also in the post. Once again, I trust the person that lives in the particular state to know more than someone that does not. Personally I have very little opinion about the shot clock at the HS level. If they ever go to it where I live, I would be OK with it. If they never changed the rule, I would be OK with that too.

Peace
Thanks. Do you see situations during games where you wish there was one? I remember a few times where a team stalled because they felt they couldn't keep up. Also, I saw teams stall just because they didn't like their opponent -- one time a team threw the ball in to start the quarter and held for the last shot . Talk about trying to stay awake!!!
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 12:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Thanks. Do you see situations during games where you wish there was one?
Nope. Personally if I saw a game where a team used the "stall," I would not be upset. The team is just making it easy for me.

Peace
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 12:16pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Thanks. Do you see situations during games where you wish there was one? I remember a few times where a team stalled because they felt they couldn't keep up. Also, I saw teams stall just because they didn't like their opponent -- one time a team threw the ball in to start the quarter and held for the last shot . Talk about trying to stay awake!!!
Washington does the same thing...shot clock for girls but not for boys. HAve had some games on the boys side where I wished there was one - team stalling, final score in the teens, and some girls games where I wished there wasn't one - final score 107-11 and they had to shoot or it would be a turnover...
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 12:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Nope. Personally if I saw a game where a team used the "stall," I would not be upset. The team is just making it easy for me.
Agree. What we personally like or dislike isn't germane or relevant to the way that we call the game. If what a team is doing is legal, there's no reason to get involved. And you sureasheck can't make any valid argument in favor of getting involved in something that is legal and none of your business either(like a coach hollering at one of his players ).
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 12:45pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Agree. What we personally like or dislike isn't germane or relevant to the way that we call the game. If what a team is doing is legal, there's no reason to get involved. And you sureasheck can't make any valid argument in favor of getting involved in something that is legal and none of your business either(like a coach hollering at one of his players ).
I don't think the question was asking whether we would "inset" ourselves and call differently if a team was stalling...just asking for personal experiences/preferences about using a shot clock or not.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Who cares if a team goes to a stall? We don't get paid by the hour so I don't mind the clock running and me not having to run. Seriously though, in my area I don't see too many teams that really sit on the ball. I like not having a shot clock and allowing some teams to "take the air out of the ball" and make other teams play their tempo. It's nice to see some different styles of play.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 12:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
I don't think the question was asking whether we would "inset" ourselves and call differently if a team was stalling...just asking for personal experiences/preferences about using a shot clock or not.
Shut up.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 01:03pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Shut up.

Why?