The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

The changes to the NFHS Offcials manual have been post.

http://www.nfhs.org/Sports/basketbal...l_changes.html
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 02:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up Good-bye to the Birddog.

This is the best change since I have been officiating basketball. It is about time.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 02:33pm
In Memoriam

Re: Good by to the Birddog.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
This is the best change since I have been officiating basketball. It is about time.

Peace
Rut,
I quit bird-doggin' a couple/few years ago.
mick
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 03:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Good-bye to the Birddog.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Rut,
I quit bird-doggin' a couple/few years ago.
mick
I would have completely quit, but the folks around me basically penalize officials that would not birddog or give them crap. Unless you had 20 years or been around the block and are accepted, you are required to birddog. As a matter of fact, HS Officials and HS Clinicians would make a big deal about college officials not doing HS Mechanics. So I am glad that finally the NF has come to their senses and gotten rid of this old practice, at least as manditory all the time.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 03:30pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Good by to the Birddog.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

I would have completely quit, but the folks around me basically penalize officials that would not birddog or give them crap.
In High School, U.P. here, almost nobody cares what you do as long as you call the game according to how the coaches think it should be called.

I would prefer official evaluations. If we aren't gettin' better, we're gettin' worse.

mick
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Sounds like having two members of the rules committe from Texas has paid off. Most of these changes have already been implimented here. Bird dogging and Time out mechanics espeicially. 4)ball side area, is a no brainer but it is nice to have it written out.
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
7. (3) The Lead may initiate a rotation when all three officials are in the front court.

Can anyone explain me how this differs from the current mechanics???
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 05:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
7. (3) The Lead may initiate a rotation when all three officials are in the front court.

Mark,
IMO, it's a clarification, or a mechanical POE.
I don't, at least didn't, switch until my partners were front court and set.
Some of my partners were switching on the transition before either partner was in the front court.
mick
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Mark,
IMO, it's a clarification, or a mechanical POE.
I don't, at least didn't, switch until my partners were front court and set.
Some of my partners were switching on the transition before either partner was in the front court.
mick

I thought that was in the mechanics manual - I'll have to double check.

BTW, some of my partners - the only time they would rotate was when I was BC as T. At least they rotated!
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
...ball side area, is a no brainer but it is nice to have it written out.
Okay, you've been doing it for a while, but we haven't, so it feels awkward and uncomfortable. I was trying to make a go of it at the various camps I've been at ( the 2-person ones) and it leaves me with a lot of questions. What the lead should do when the ball drops down below the arc makes sense. But what does Trail do? I'm assuming Trail picks up anyone who is below the arc on the far side, but that doesn't seem like a very good arrangement. I can't see that anyone is going to have a good angle on a low post match-up on the far block. And if someone is planning to cut into the key from the far side, and a defender steps in too late, or was it too late, who knows? So I gues the T should move a little, but where to? If trail steps toward the top of the key, who sees the 3-point shot in the low ball-side corner?

And then, of course, there's always the question of who sees any action on the far oob play...
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Okay, you've been doing it for a while, but we haven't, so it feels awkward and uncomfortable. I was trying to make a go of it at the various camps I've been at ( the 2-person ones) and it leaves me with a lot of questions. What the lead should do when the ball drops down below the arc makes sense. But what does Trail do? I'm assuming Trail picks up anyone who is below the arc on the far side, but that doesn't seem like a very good arrangement.
T picks up everything on the far side, which is typically low post play & other stuff thru the lane especially on rebounding action
Quote:

I can't see that anyone is going to have a good angle on a low post match-up on the far block. And if someone is planning to cut into the key from the far side, and a defender steps in too late, or was it too late, who knows?
Yeah, the veiw is ok. Not as good as the view would be from C but good enough. And if you're looking thru the lane and anticipate how the defense might be playing the offense that is being run then you're OK. Mostly.
Quote:
So I gues the T should move a little, but where to? If trail steps toward the top of the key, who sees the 3-point shot in the low ball-side corner?
T moves exactly as you say he does - around the arc to the top of the key. This makes it a little easier to cover the things you've just written about. In theory the T keeps the arc and 3 pt shots on that side and usually this is not a problem. Problem is on the long shot someone's gotta go with the ball & rebound, someone's gotta stay with the shooter. As T I like to stay with the shooter until I see he's OK then focus on the rim (GT/BI) and then lane for over the back.
Quote:

And then, of course, there's always the question of who sees any action on the far oob play...
By the book it's the L's call. In practice the T's gotta help out.

Bottom line: when the L comes over you as T keep refereeing the far side low post match-ups and the defense for illegal screens on motion and block/charge on plays where the ball is dumped quickly back into the middle. Don't worry too much about the far side OOB, someone will get it and if you don't make something up The L comes over because the action is happening on the far side low post, let him cover that you have everything else. And yes, T is hard work in 2 man games - if it's done right.
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

I think they're saying as soon as the T is in the FC, the L can rotate.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Quote:

I think they're saying as soon as the T is in the FC, the L can rotate.

Same question - I thought this was always the guideline . . .
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Okay, you've been doing it for a while, but we haven't, so it feels awkward and uncomfortable. I was trying to make a go of it at the various camps I've been at ( the 2-person ones) and it leaves me with a lot of questions. What the lead should do when the ball drops down below the arc makes sense. But what does Trail do? I'm assuming Trail picks up anyone who is below the arc on the far side, but that doesn't seem like a very good arrangement. I can't see that anyone is going to have a good angle on a low post match-up on the far block. And if someone is planning to cut into the key from the far side, and a defender steps in too late, or was it too late, who knows? So I gues the T should move a little, but where to? If trail steps toward the top of the key, who sees the 3-point shot in the low ball-side corner?

IAABO's website had a great "You make the call" setup a few years ago with this senerio. So when L goes ball side, trail goes above the key. Think of it as three man without a C. T has any action outside of the three point line such as shots. He is also resposible for week side rebounds. When the ball is quickly thrown around the parimiter and out of bounds on the week side, the L has to blow the whistle but should ask T for assistance on who gets posession.

Remember that before you go ballside, the ball and post play should be on that side of the court.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

IAABO's website had a great "You make the call" setup a few years ago with this senerio. So when L goes ball side, trail goes above the key. Think of it as three man without a C. T has any action outside of the three point line such as shots. He is also resposible for week side rebounds. When the ball is quickly thrown around the parimiter and out of bounds on the week side, the L has to blow the whistle but should ask T for assistance on who gets posession.

Remember that before you go ballside, the ball and post play should be on that side of the court.