The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 10:25am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Is the spread eagle mandatory all the time, or just when you hear a chirp?
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 10:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
It may be a situation where you inform the coach he has 5 seconds to choose a sub once the clock starts on this particular disqualification. You then walk slowly to the reporting area and say "S-T-A-R-T T-H-E C-L-O-C-K."
What situation are you thinking of?

I can't think of any reason not to use whatever the procedure the new rule sets out. I'm with Jeff. It's the coach's job to adjust and get a sub at the table before 20 seconds are up.
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 11:09am

The adjustments made with the warning horns seems ridiculous to me. Way too much time spent in that area. I say there are bigger fish to fry in the rules then this one.

Spreading the arms is good because when I did it before, I was chastised for using college mechanics in a HS game, even though no harm was done and it conveyed information, it was still viewed as wrong. Now, it is apart of the mechanic, this is a very good thing. Another thing, in college, I seldom used this mechanic so my bet is it will be the same at a HS game.
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 03:59pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Spreading the arms is good because when I did it before, I was chastised for using college mechanics in a HS game, even though no harm was done and it conveyed information, it was still viewed as wrong. Now, it is apart of the mechanic, this is a very good thing. Another thing, in college, I seldom used this mechanic so my bet is it will be the same at a HS game.
So, the way I read your post...you knowingly use a college-only mechanic in HS games and then say you seldom use it in college games? Do you institute a shot clock at your HS games too?
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

The general theme of many of the rules was to become like college rules/mechanics -- warning horn on 30 sec. TOs to 15, spread eagle mechanic. Does anyone thing that what is posted on the NFHS site, re: the warning sound for subs at 5 after a DQ is a typo?

The college rule is a horn at 15 and 20 -- Rule 4-17-5 -- the way the new rules seem, it would seem to me that the NF would want this to be in effect, not a horn at 5 and 20.

Thoughts?
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 04:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

I'm going to start using signals to indicate why I'm not calling every possible call. I've always wanted to look like a mime - NOT!!!!!
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
Does anyone thing that what is posted on the NFHS site, re: the warning sound for subs at 5 after a DQ is a typo?
No, I think that the NFHS did this on purpose. Now all warning horns are sounded 15 seconds prior to the end of the interval. Go take a look at my previous post in this thread.
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Poe

I was looking at the new rules, but was wondering what the POE's were for the upcoming season. I did notice that there were 4 POE's but there was no statement elaborating on them. Does anybody know what the POE's are?
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 09:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp134
I was looking at the new rules, but was wondering what the POE's were for the upcoming season. I did notice that there were 4 POE's but there was no statement elaborating on them. Does anybody know what the POE's are?
The POEs are at the bottom of the link. They do not elaborate on them at this time. They just tell you what they are.

Peace
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
So, the way I read your post...you knowingly use a college-only mechanic in HS games and then say you seldom use it in college games? Do you institute a shot clock at your HS games too?
I do implement the shot clock in hs games.... of course I'm in CA.
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
What?!? The "spread arms" signal for non-closely-guarded is back?

Sigh...I can already tell my arms will be tired this season. And I'm not even flying in from anywhere...
I think this is the best thing and it will keep coach and players from yelling 5 secons Ref!!!!!
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
I think this is the best thing and it will keep coach and players from yelling 5 secons Ref!!!!!
Do you really think that will stop because of a new hand signal? You're not going to stand there with your arms out the whole time a dribbler is not being defended, are you? Coaches will still yell if they think you should be counting. And officials will still have their own interpretation of how close a defender needs to be in order to start a count. This new signal isn't going to change much of the complaining.
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Do you really think that will stop because of a new hand signal? You're not going to stand there with your arms out the whole time a dribbler is not being defended, are you? Coaches will still yell if they think you should be counting. And officials will still have their own interpretation of how close a defender needs to be in order to start a count. This new signal isn't going to change much of the complaining.
I have used that mechanic in high school for the last couple of years and I think its a great non verbal communication tool, especially for the coaches. Trust me it works.
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
I have used that mechanic in high school for the last couple of years

Old Fri May 04, 2007, 03:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Smitty,

It is very possible his state allowed this mechanic to be use. Mechanics are not something the NF can mandate (or try to mandate) across the board. Rules are a different issue.

Secondly it is never going to completely stop coaches from complaining. Nothing will ever stop coaches from doing that. But giving a signal will greatly help as did the Team Control Foul signal did. Before the TC foul, we had to explain why were not shooting FTs. Now the coaches see the signal and understand the concept without a word.

Peace