The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF
I should probably specify -
calling me an MF'er or an FU is going to get you lit up. that one really doesn't matter who else heard it.

Now that I think about it you are right on the other items they are not automatic.
That was the point I was trying to get at. The more I officiate, the less I talk about absolutes and automatics, but then I consitently have the most technicals on my HS crew.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
H.S. level coach or player says "That's horrible/terrible" in regards to a call made by you or your partner that doesn't favor their team.

Do you all T em up right away?

How about the same comments on the wreck level?

What are some other phrases that equal an automatic?

Thanks
With just those words and nothing else (i.e. handwave, etc.):

Coach - No.
Player - Doubtful.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF
I should probably specify -
calling me an MF'er or an FU is going to get you lit up. that one really doesn't matter who else heard it.

Now that I think about it you are right on the other items they are not automatic.
Comment made after I called a jump ball in a reckless league game, on a guy who whined all game long: "This MF'er is terrible!" Partner didn't move to whack, so I whack 'em. Disappointed that my partner didn't get him, since he was two feet away, but oh well.

One rule of thumb I have for reckless league ball: I don't really talk or discuss calls, and if they over-react to calls, I give them the Old School Stare of Impending Technical Pain (& free throws) (tm).
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 06:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Technical Fouls

I believe that I copied this, with some editing, from the Tri-City (Washihgton State) Officials Association. You may find it helpful.

Technical Fouls

Top Reasons To Not Give A Technical Foul
1) You can address a coach before it becomes a problem. A quiet word can go a long way in preventing a technical foul.
2) When coaches complain ask yourself, is the call questionable, is the call wrong. If they have a legitimate gripe then allow them some latitude.
3) If you know a coach is upset then move out onto the floor when in front of their bench.
4) Warnings can be very effective in preventing situations from escalating. Don't tolerate a lot before a warning.
5) Lend and ear. Coaches like to be heard. If you ignore them then they become more frustrated and are more likely to lose control.
6) If an assistant is out of line, then you can speak to the head coach and ask them to help you out.
7) If a player is out of line then let the coach know. Tell them you've warned their player. That way if you do give a technical foul, then the coach isn't surprised. Most good coaches will speak to the player first.
8) If you have had a rough day and know your fuse is short, keep that in mind before you do anything rash. Ask yourself, does the situation come under one of the top ten reasons to give a technical foul.

Top Reasons To Give A Technical Foul
Knowing when the right time to call a technical foul is half the battle. There are many different factors to consider, when deciding to give a technical foul. Generally, there are three areas of coach's behavior that need attention: when a coach makes it personal, when a coach draws attention to himself or herself, and when a coach's complaints are persistent.

Some technical fouls are easy. They are black and white situations that leave little room for negotiations:
1) Using profanity or language that is abusive, vulgar, or obscene.
2) If a coach questions your integrity.
3) Inciting an undesirable crowd reaction.
4) If you are being embarrassed.
5) If coach or player has been warned and has not heeded the warning.
6) Leaving the confines of the coaching box and complaining.
7) A coach demonstrates displeasure with your partner and their back is turned.

Other technical fouls are not as black and white. In some situations a warning may be appropriate before the technical foul is given:
8) A coach or player continually demonstrates signals or asks for calls.
9) If they have interfered with the game or your concentration then they have usually gone too far.
10) If giving a technical will help give structure back to the game and if it will have a calming effect on things.

Top Ways To Give A Technical Foul
1) Calling a technical foul should be no different then calling any other violation. Maintain a pleasant attitude,have poise and presence. Don't embarrass the coach by being demonstrative.
2) Explain technical fouls on players to coaches.
4) Never look at a coach when you give a technical foul.
3) Call the technical foul. Report it to the table and leave the area. Find your partner.
4) Explanations, it needed should be done by partner.
5) After technical fouls, get the ball in play immediately.
6) Make them earn the second technical foul. Don't be reluctant to give the second trechnical foul if it is warranted.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanFitzRef
One rule of thumb I have for reckless league ball: I don't really talk or discuss calls, and if they over-react to calls, I give them the Old School Stare of Impending Technical Pain (& free throws) (tm).
If they overreact to calls, why give them the free throws? I'd give the FTs to their opponents.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have a problem using automatic. If you toss something in anger or frustration, that's an automatic T. If you charge at me or come onto the court being demonstrative in any way, that's an automatic T. Personal comments are pretty much automatic T's, unless its at the VERY end of the game, its obvious the coach wants you to serve him up so he can blame you, and its out of ear shot of virtually everyone else.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I don't have a problem using automatic. If you toss something in anger or frustration, that's an automatic T. If you charge at me or come onto the court being demonstrative in any way, that's an automatic T. Personal comments are pretty much automatic T's, unless its at the VERY end of the game, its obvious the coach wants you to serve him up so he can blame you, and its out of ear shot of virtually everyone else.
What do you mean toss? A player is frustrated with missing a shot, slams the ball hard and catches it. Is that an automatic. The second half of you post says that personal comments are pretty automatic, unless it's at the very end of the game and out of ear shot. How is that using automatic? Yes I know I'm being nit-picky, but as I stated a few times on this thread. Officials neeed to be careful using the term "automatic T".
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 01:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The only way I use "automatic" for judgment Ts anymore is to make the situation so specific as to render the word "automatic" meaningless.
Example: If a coach screams at me, "G$d D@mmit, Moron, you're the worst official I've ever seen and I'm going to slash your tires before you have a chance to change your shoes," I'd say that's an automatic T.
There are no "magic words" for me, though.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 08:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanFitzRef
Not a bad idea for working wreck leagues. Don't talk to the players after a call and rotate on the shooting fouls so that you're not standing there taking all the heat under the basket after the call. Had one the other day where we had a hard foul on the big players, defense got his arm over player shoulder as offense was going up and it looked bad. Because the game was close offense wanted intentional. Since we hadn't had any issues up to that point, partner ruled just a shooting foul. On my way to administer the FT's point guard had moved to the backcourt and was screaming that's an intentional! I stopped right at the top of the key and looked him right in the face, and gave him the impression that if you say another word, it will be a T. I didn't say one word to him. I just stopped and looked at him. He immediately shut up! I then went and administor the FT's. I'm not saying this is the way to do it on all occasions, but at the end of the day, I felt good that I got thru that situation without having to enforce a T. This player knew my look and that I was not gonna have anymore of that. He also knew that my look at him directly was his warning. I like to say mission accomplished.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 08:45pm

Now, I got one yesterday that I'm going to apologize to you right now before describing it. But I also want to get your opinion on my thoughts here. Late in a wreck league playoff game, I had a player give me a lot of grief after a call I made on his big player. I think he went over the limit but I didn't T him. The call was on another player on his team and I just went over to the table to report. He was like the coach/floor general on his team. I didn't want to T him because I didn't want to ruin my good relationship with him. Former CBA player and I have a lot of respect for him. He went on an on. That was a BS shot, how you gonna give my player a foul on that BS shot!

After the game, they won, and as I was walking out. We passed each other and I told him I should have given you a T on that one incident, and he said yea, I know and I appreciate you not doing that. You know I didn't mean nothing by it, I was just excited in the moment. I told him, if you ever do me like that again, it will be a T. We shook hands and went our way. Interested in hearing your thoughts on this situation and if you have ever been in a situation like this before, and how did you handle it? Since I was at the table I was not in a position to give him the stare or tell him that's enough, but I heard every word. I had the good angel bad angel going back and forward in my head. You should T him for that! Naw, let's just get thru the game! That's several BS's in a row, that's too many, T his a$$! Naw, let's just get the ball back in play so we can get this over with.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 09:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I didn't want to T him because I didn't want to ruin my good relationship with him. Former CBA player and I have a lot of respect for him. He went on an on. That was a BS shot, how you gonna give my player a foul on that BS shot!
Lah me....didn't want to ruin a relationship.....

You're officiating a game, not hosting the Dr. Phil show.

If you ever want to develop into a real live, honest-to-goodness official some day, you're going to have to grow some balls. It's that simple.

As usual though, feel free to come up with some lame excuse why you shouldn't have called a "T".

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 09:06pm.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

On the issue of "Automatic T's":

Playoff game, HS Varsity Girls, the game is well into the blowout stage. B coach, his team down by 30+, starts accusing the officials of extreme bias ("you're only calling our fouls", "that's horrible", "why don't you just give them the game?") He was assessed a T, followed shortly by a second (while the first was being reported, I believe). He left the gym without incident and escaped the humiliation of coaching the rest of a game he expected to win.

I was in the stands with other officials and several evaluators. One of the evaluators, after making a complimentary remark about the handling of the coach, offered another tactic. He suggested that, after the first T, the second official could have wandered by and informed the coach that he would not be given a second T and therefore would not be given an easy escape from horror of witnessing his girls' embarrassing loss. If he wanted to give up on his team and leave, he would have to do so on his own volition. Otherwise, I (the official), who cannot leave and must suffer through the remaining 15:00 of the game, would expect him to suffer as well.

Personally, I like it. It's cheeky and punitive , and does not allow a selfish coach to escape when his team cannot.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Automatic T's

A few lines that will always get a T from me:

"Hey ref, is it hard to blow the whistle with your head so far up your @$$?" I seldom let that one go by.

"You are to reffing what Michael Jackson is to child welfare!" I don't let that go either.

And, the most automatic T in my book, when a coach yells out:

"HEY, OLD SCHOOL!"

Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 09:45pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
A few lines that will always get a T from me:

"Hey ref, is it hard to blow the whistle with your head so far up your @$$?" I seldom let that one go by.

"You are to reffing what Michael Jackson is to child welfare!" I don't let that go either.

And, the most automatic T in my book, when a coach yells out:

"HEY, OLD SCHOOL!"

Yeah, that last one is universally accepted as a T around here. JMO.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

BillyMac, one thing I can say about you, is you consistently have the LONGEST posts of anyone. I hope you type about 200 WPM as much as you write!!