The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Automatic T worthy? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/33189-automatic-t-worthy.html)

Ch1town Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:15am

Automatic T worthy?

H.S. level coach or player says "That's horrible/terrible" in regards to a call made by you or your partner that doesn't favor their team.

Do you all T em up right away?

How about the same comments on the wreck level?

What are some other phrases that equal an automatic?

Thanks

truerookie Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:26am

A comment like that's horrible or terrible. I normally pass on from their angle it may be horrible or terrible. If they stated something like. Ref, you are horrible or terrible. I give them the bizness.

Automatic T's my opinion: Slamming chair/cilpboard down. Commenting that my partner is horrible or terrible

SWMOzebra Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie
Automatic T's my opinion: Slamming chair/clipboard down. Commenting that my partner is horrible or terrible

Agreed....and add to this list vulgar or obscene language and gestures. Note that your personal discretion will have to be applied for what you consider to be "vulgar or obscene language."

deecee Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:37am

is it just me but I think slamming a chair down -- ala mr. Knight -- would get an ejection from me -- depends on severity but -- at the HS level IMO its off to the showers.

JRutledge Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town
H.S. level coach or player says "That's horrible/terrible" in regards to a call made by you or your partner that doesn't favor their team.

Do you all T em up right away?

No.

Quote:

How about the same comments on the wreck level?

I do not do "WREAK" ball so I cannot answer that question.

Quote:

What are some other phrases that equal an automatic?

I really hate to use the term automatic. A lot of decisions like this change based on game situation, level, loudness and what happen during the other part of the game. I may address the issue, but not automatically give a T.

Peace

OHBBREF Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:38am

Race - cheating - personal - will get an immediate response.
sometimes the language depends on who heard it?
If you can deal with it quietly it can fit the game managment mode better, but the MF, the F, words can not be dealt with any other way.

I have a new way of dealing with some of it this year.
" ... That one was free the next one is going to cost you"

they know you heard it and they know there will be consequenses -

Junker Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge

I really hate to use the term automatic. A lot of decisions like this change based on game situation, level, loudness and what happen during the other part of the game. I may address the issue, but not automatically give a T.

Peace

This is a great post about giving a T. A lot of variables can be going on at the moment so calling something and "automatic T" is a little shortsighted. A coach saying a call was horrible or terrible may be a T, it may also be a time when you can let the coach know he or she needs to coach the players, not us. There are even times when comments like these need to be ignored.

tjones1 Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:17am

No.

Rec league, I don't do, but if I did...yes I would whack'em.

Ch1town Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:28am

Appreciate all the feedback. This is a great forum! I'm glad I stumbled across you guys.

Junker Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:15pm

Quote:

Appreciate all the feedback. This is a great forum! I'm glad I stumbled across you guys.

Yup, it's a great place to bounce ideas off people and hear other opinions. Some you'll adopt, some you'll consider complete bs (probably stuff I post :D ).

Junker Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF
Race - cheating - personal - will get an immediate response.
sometimes the language depends on who heard it?
If you can deal with it quietly it can fit the game managment mode better, but the MF, the F, words can not be dealt with any other way.

I have a new way of dealing with some of it this year.
" ... That one was free the next one is going to cost you"

they know you heard it and they know there will be consequenses -

So if I, a white guy, call someone else a cracker that's an automatic T? What if only you and the player hear the F or MF words? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I just think "automatic T's" are too much of a generalization.

Jurassic Referee Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
some you'll consider complete bs (probably stuff I post).

You are wise beyond your years.

Bad JR. Bad, bad JR.:D

You <b>had</b> to know that was coming.

Adam Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:55pm

Quote:

So if I, a white guy, call someone else a cracker that's an automatic T? What if only you and the player hear the F or MF words? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I just think "automatic T's" are too much of a generalization.

I've successfully dealt with the F word without a T before. It was purely a frustration thing, but I heard it a couple times. I happened to be by her bench shortly after that and asked the coach to deal with it. He thanked me, and I didn't have a problem the rest of the game.

Snake~eyes Wed Mar 28, 2007 01:02pm

Quote:

This is a great post about giving a T. A lot of variables can be going on at the moment so calling something and "automatic T" is a little shortsighted. A coach saying a call was horrible or terrible may be a T, it may also be a time when you can let the coach know he or she needs to coach the players, not us. There are even times when comments like these need to be ignored.

I agree that many Ts require your judgement and are defintiely not automatic Ts, like "that's horrible." But there are some definite clear cut automatics.

OHBBREF Wed Mar 28, 2007 01:17pm

Quote:

I should probably specify -
calling me an MF'er or an FU is going to get you lit up. that one really doesn't matter who else heard it.

Now that I think about it you are right on the other items they are not automatic.