The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 01:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Let me put it this way. I am a D1 umpire in baseball because I work D1 baseball games. I do not get enough D1 baseball games to warrant giving up my entire HS schedule. As of right now I am only working 1 D1 game or series as we speak. A lot of D1 officials only get one or two D1 games. It does not mean they do not have time to work any HS games or if they did they might not work that many games at all during the season.

Also I know many D1 officials in my area that still work HS games. There is even a person that worked the NCAA Tournament and still works the occasional HS game (sometimes lower level). I also worked a HS varsity game last year with an official who almost entirely works a D1 schedule and works games all the time all over the country.

So it is possible for someone to work D1 and a HS schedule at the same time.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Obviously, the other officials' experience didn't help them. They looked like they didn't know what to do.
I'm not disagreeing with you. A buddy of mine said Mike isn't taking any calls right now - who can blame him. I heard the newspaper tried to get in touch with him today. I'm like - what the heck for? Do you think he's going to ruin his career by talking to you?

As far as the other officials - wow. I watched it several times tonight and a thought struck me (kinda bumped me really) - how come no one else got ejected for leaving the bench? I counted 7-9 green jerseys and several white ones - none of those were bench players? One official even went to the HHS bench, you would think to take numbers - but no one was removed other than OJ.

Last year there were some officials that mishandled a fight and were suspended from post-season. I wonder if the WVSSAC will have anything to say to those two about this one?

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 03:00am
Official Forum Member

The local paper's slant and some comments from "fans".

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/...701270355/1014
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 04:40am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Whatever the case may be, the player made contact with him and that should be punished much more severely than two games.
That's the bottom line right there.

I doubt very much that it will happen though. I don't believe in the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny either.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 12:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
The local paper's slant and some comments from "fans".

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/...701270355/1014
My God, those people responding to the article are about as dumb as they come. Notice they're trolling for people to email so they can write a "reaction" story? I'm sure that will win the Pulitzer prize.

Mayo sounds like a thug who's used to getting away with almost everything he does, including "picking" his senior year high school and certainly getting just about everything he wants from here on out.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 03:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser

Mayo sounds like a thug who's used to getting away with almost everything he does, including "picking" his senior year high school and certainly getting just about everything he wants from here on out.
It's called the AAU mentality.

Now..... who should bear the greater responsibility? The kid? Or the system? Or both?

Btw, he's gonna be going to USC. I wonder if he'll be making the same salary that Reggie Bush did?
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Another Update

Another buddy of mine talked to Mike today. He's pretty shook up right now. Not because of what he did - but rather because of all the s#it that is going on. If this had been a mediocre player at Riverside HS - we would not be discussing this outside of our local board members and certainly not on here. So that's the crap that's got him upset.

I work in radio in WV and we have a few long-form programs. I am positive we will be discussing this on the air tomorrow all day. I'm betting Mike Hayden from the WVSSAC will be on the air and who knows, maybe even Coach McGuffin - it will be interesting to see where this goes.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 09:36pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I just hope that 5 years from now, that we are not reading some story about the player involved in some 3 a.m. incident. Once a person knows the playing field is not level, then that person will generally push the envelope. Hopefully, that state association will uphold their roules and not make an exception. After all, the player suspended himself by his actions.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Video of the incident:

http://video.wsaz.com/global/video/p...l&rnd=78704844

After OJ dunked the ball, he then caught it and started walking down the court. Does the ref have the discretion to call a delay of game (is that even in high school)? Or is it an automatic T?
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshs81
Video of the incident:

http://video.wsaz.com/global/video/p...l&rnd=78704844

After OJ dunked the ball, he then caught it and started walking down the court. Does the ref have the discretion to call a delay of game (is that even in high school)? Or is it an automatic T?
Yes, there's a delay of game - however, the ref had the line on it and you really can't see OJ's mouth to see if he's saying anything - they had warned him about "yapping" previously. If he says anything - he deserved what he got.

Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 12:05am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
WOW! The best HS player in the country by most accounts - OJ Mayo - was ejected from a game tonight. A buddy of mine actually stuck him for his 2nd T (I actually know all 3 - 2 of them are from my local board). I haven't been able to talk to him - just saw it on the news. My buddy is a D1 official and isn't afraid to whack someone - they actually stick kids pretty quickly IMO. That being said, the footage on TV actually looked like everything was justified.

Here's the problem - OJ, by WVSSAC rule, has to sit out 10% of their games - or 2 games. Their next game is against Artesia, CA - the former #2 team in the country. The game is on ESPN and is being played at Duke. So this will be interesting. Stay tuned if this interests you.

The real question that should be asked is how O.J. Mayo was ruled eligible by the WVSSAC, when the OhioHSAA had ruled him ineligible for H.S. sports because he had already attended H.S. in Ohio for four (4) years (eight (8) semesters).

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
The real question that should be asked is how O.J. Mayo was ruled eligible by the WVSSAC, when the OhioHSAA had ruled him ineligible for H.S. sports because he had already attended H.S. in Ohio for four (4) years (eight (8) semesters).

MTD, Sr.
You are confusing OJ with Bill Walker. OJ has never been ruled ineligibile.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 09:37am
Lighten up, Francis.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I am a D1 umpire in baseball because I work D1 baseball games.
Completely off-topic, but let me say congratulations. I did not know this about you. Good luck in your upcoming season. Hope you get a good D1 schedule.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

when is the game or has it already been played?

Thanks

IHSAref
Old Mon Jan 29, 2007, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeump
why is your friend a D1 official and working HS boys basketball? something doesnt jive up here....unless he is a D1 women's official of some sort.
Who is both sexist enough to think this AND daft enough actually to write it? How many DI women's games have you done, stud?
Closed Thread