The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

I was getting ready to officiate a game. I looked over and the two other officials were exchanging words and got into a fight. The coaches and myself went over and stopped it. i felt that we wouldn't be able to work together as a team, so i decided to postpone the game. is that the best thing to do?
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

As a coach, I know that I would have some issues if either of these guys turned around after their fight and started reffing my game. You have the option of going solo, getting another ref (doesn't sound like you had one), or calling the game off in my book.

Wow!
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Exclamation

A few years ago, in an adult league, one of the players and the coach got into it off the court, during a time out. They were both booted from the game (and subsequently kicked off the team by the sponsor).

I can't imagine what would happen if I ever saw a couple of officals going at each other. I can imagine it starting like this, however.
O1 "Ok, I know it wasn't in my area, but the foot was clearly on the line, that's why I blew the whistle".
O2 "It's not so much the whistle, but the fact that you had to show me up that way!"
O1 "Oh, I was just supposed to let the wrong score get posted because you f***'d up a call?"
O2 "What do you mean I f***'d up a call? You've been blowing calls all night and I've been covering your *ss."
O1 "Oh yeah? Well your *ss is too big for anybody to cover!"
O2 "WELL, F* YOU!"
O1 WHACK, POW, SOCK
O2 etc.,
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CYO Butch

O1 "Ok, I know it wasn't in my area, but the foot was clearly on the line, that's why I blew the whistle".
O2 "It's not so much the whistle, but the fact that you had to show me up that way!"
O1 "Oh, I was just supposed to let the wrong score get posted because you f***'d up a call?"
O2 "What do you mean I f***'d up a call? You've been blowing calls all night and I've been covering your *ss."
O1 "Oh yeah? Well your *ss is too big for anybody to cover!"
O2 "WELL, F* YOU!"
O1 WHACK, POW, SOCK
O2 etc.,
Classic.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 05:03pm
In Memoriam

Oh, my!

messkin,
Good one!
Welcome to the forum!
mick
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

BBCoach asks in another post why don't officials get more respect? These two guys are not helping.

When I officiate, I make it a point to always be professional, cordial and respectful of the players and the coaches. Some members of my association are not quite so professional. We all end up losing respect in those situations. We are only as strong as our weakest links.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 10:18pm
BBallCoach

What a great role models

Hmmm, now what was my question again? Why don't officials get any respect. Hmmm I wonder?
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Re: What a great role models

Quote:
Originally posted by BBallCoach
Hmmm, now what was my question again? Why don't officials get any respect. Hmmm I wonder?
Give us a break. This is an isolated incident. THis is the first time i've heard about an official getting into a fight with another official.

I have however heard of many occasions where a coach has gotten into a fight with another coach.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by messkin
I was getting ready to officiate a game. I looked over and the two other officials were exchanging words and got into a fight. The coaches and myself went over and stopped it. i felt that we wouldn't be able to work together as a team, so i decided to postpone the game. is that the best thing to do?
Where and when did this happen?
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Re: What a great role models

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Quote:
Give us a break. This is an isolated incident.
It's an isolated incident if it even happened. I'm not saying messkin is lying. Just that I'm not sure we're hearing the whole story. Is it possible? Sure, and I'll believe it when I see it.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Re: What a great role models

Quote:
I say it once again: you are a (clown)

Get lost.