Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
I don't know that we know that for a fact but....let's say the school wasn't covered by the TRO. They suspend him. He goes back to court, to the same judge and gets another TRO. What's the point?

Makes no difference, he wasn't going to be suspended this week.
The point is doing what the school should do. Just because the judge is irresponsible doesn't mean that the school shouldn't follow through with what it should do. Make the judge issue the TRO.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
The only way justice will served is if he blows out a knee in the game. Then someone will give a damn. All those NBA millions down the drain for corporate America and ESPN. Just have to have the spotlight. Then the lawyers get rich. "They made me play".

If only greed hadn't been the motivating factor, O. J. coulda' been a contender.
Gosh, I'd never wish the kid get hurt. They are losing mid-way through the 3rd qtr. though - now THAT would be swwwwwwweeeeeeet justice.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
There are several kids that have come out of HS and went straight to the NBA and they are nothing but fine young men.
Peace
Since when did a small handfull become plenty?
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Chris, you miss the point. The judge would not allow the player to be suspended this week, by the state, the school or anyone else. If the school had tried to suspend him this week, they would have been going against a court order.
No, not really. We had a situation around here a few years back and the school was told they could not suspend the kids from any games. The coach had his ADs support and they dressed the kids out but none of the kids in trouble ever took off their warm ups. A judge might be able to tell you that you cannot suspend someone but he can't tell you who you've gotta play or what defense you have to run.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Justice

For those that are interested - Huntington lost tonight. The dream season is finished. Awwwwwwwww . . .

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
For those that are interested - Huntington lost tonight. The dream season is finished. Awwwwwwwww . . .
And that's Lazo's fault too. He's got their minds all preoccupied.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
And that's Lazo's fault too. He's got their minds all preoccupied.
Yeah, I guess you are right - it was a toss up in my mind between Lazo and George Bush.

Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
The national championship will remain "mythical."
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

FUNNY comment

I just heard an interview with OJ after their big 4 point loss tonight. If you've never heard him speak you should hear him - he sounds like he has a mouthful of bread in his mouth when he's talking. Anyway, he said "We'll see what happens in WV - they had Kentucky refs and we'll have WV refs so we'll see what happens then"

Is he saying he wants Lazo back for that game?

Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 05:07am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Anyway, he said "We'll see what happens in WV - they had Kentucky refs and we'll have WV refs so we'll see what happens then"
Are you serious? The kid really said that?

What a dickhead! He just dumped on 2 complete state's officials. He dumped on Kentucky refs for either being bad or homers. And he's also telling the world that WV refs are homers too. Lah me......

That's why they get PR people for these kids. They need somebody to do the talking for them until they learn to become bland and boring like most other pro athletes.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
WOW! The best HS player in the country by most accounts - OJ Mayo - was ejected from a game tonight. A buddy of mine actually stuck him for his 2nd T (I actually know all 3 - 2 of them are from my local board). I haven't been able to talk to him - just saw it on the news. My buddy is a D1 official and isn't afraid to whack someone - they actually stick kids pretty quickly IMO. That being said, the footage on TV actually looked like everything was justified.

Here's the problem - OJ, by WVSSAC rule, has to sit out 10% of their games - or 2 games. Their next game is against Artesia, CA - the former #2 team in the country. The game is on ESPN and is being played at Duke. So this will be interesting. Stay tuned if this interests you.

I'll preface by saying I don't know any details about the Player or Ref in this instance but by the tape of the 'flop' it looks more bogus than a WWF main event. Why did he get two T's?
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 09:23am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
I'll preface by saying I don't know any details about the Player or Ref in this instance but by the tape of the 'flop' it looks more bogus than a WWF main event. Why did he get two T's?
Sigh.....

Mayo has already admitted that he brushed the official and then tangled legs. Iow, he freaking knocked the official down, intentional or not. But hey, don't believe that. It really was completely bogus. The ref deliberately planned to take that dive, just like you're saying. Yup, he planned it all the night before in a secret meeting. It's nothing but a conspiracy against the ballplayer.

Please tell me that you're not an official. You don't know any details but it's all the official's fault.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 09:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Sigh.....

Mayo has already admitted that he brushed the official and then tangled legs. Iow, he freaking knocked the official down, intentional or not. But hey, don't believe that. It really was completely bogus. The ref deliberately planned to take that dive, just like you're saying. Yup, he planned it all the night before in a secret meeting. It's nothing but a conspiracy against the ballplayer.

Please tell me that you're not an official. You don't know any details but it's all the official's fault.
I said the same thing on page 1, JR. I wasn't saying that the official took a flop, I was saying it certainly APPEARED that way. I'm happy I was wrong and figured I was, but it didn't change my impression of that at the time.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 10:07am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I said the same thing on page 1, JR. I wasn't saying that the official took a flop, I was saying it certainly APPEARED that way. I'm happy I was wrong and figured I was, but it didn't change my impression of that at the time.
Well, Rich, everybody gets their opinion and this is where ours differ. I'll give any official the benefit of the maximum doubt until I either hear their side of the story or I can find out more of the details of everything that happened. Until that time, I'd never dream of second-guessing them publicly. I've been on the other side before too, and I've heard comments like "even his fellow officials say he was wrong".

I usually try to place myself in the official's shoes. And I never could really see any official taking a dive in a high-profile game like that.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I usually try to place myself in the official's shoes. And I never could really see any official taking a dive in a high-profile game like that.
In what kind of game COULD you see an official take a dive?