Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Damn those refs for fouling him out again...I paid my $$ to see OJ play...let him play you damn refs!!

Ok, always wanted to be an obnoxious fan for a minute...why are people assuming that the administration of HHS had anything to do with this court proceeding? Did I miss something? The injunctive relief was sought by the Mayo kid, his parents, and the parents of the other kids who were suspended. Why does that equate to the admin not having any integrity??
Because the school needs to step up and say "since YOU got 2T's and were ejected from the game, you must sit the next game or 2" (whatever their conference rule is). Since they are not stepping up, it leads me to believe that their basketball team winning a game is a more importnant lesson to teach their student body than following rules.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:15pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Wilbon was great on PTI last night. Called the player a thug and wished that there were more Bobby Knight attitude adjustments for that kind of behavior. This player goes into the same category as that jerk who played for LA & Denver and went after officials. Can't remember his name, and that's the way it should be.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Well sometimes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
JR has it right. He's gonna make it in the NBA. He's the best HS player since Lebron. This kid really is incredible - one of the best defensive players I have ever seen at the HS level. I think it's unfair to judge his ability to make it through college based on his antics as a HS player. When a college coach gets a kid, the right coach, they can certainly change a kid. I've heard that OJ is a very polite young man normally and some say this is an unusual situation for him. He will eventually be a very good player in the NBA and I'll bet sooner than later . . .
Yeah if you say so . Everyone says that every year - of course the best though was Kobe Bryant, he was the best not Lebron - Lebron just got more hype because he was more current.

And the league was a LOT more competitive when Kobe came into the league. It doesn't take as much talent to make it to the NBA anymore, since its gotten so watered down.

What's the shooting % in the NBA this year?

But we'll see.

Thanks
David
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Various comments on some of the comments here:[LIST][*]The judge is a Huntington circuit court judge - do you think he'd rule against OJ?
If he was going to do his job and be a judge, yes. If he was going to wade into corruption, no.

Quote:
[*]The assistant coach is not part of the school administration - he is simply an assistant coach of the team. The principal has said publically that they were not a part of the legal proceedings and that their position is that OJ has been suspended and should sit the next two games - then the court ruled otherwise.
Possible different there in WV. Here in KS every coach is required to be an employee of the school and is definately part of the administration of the school. Even if there is no employee-employer relationship, the fact that the individual is a coach for the school makes him part of the administration of the school in my book.

Quote:
[*]OJ really doesn't need to worry about rules in college - or classes either for that matter - he's going to USC next year and then the NBA after that. He would be a certain lottery pick this year if he were allowed to participate in the draft.
Maybe he doesn't need to worry about it, but USC certainly does.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
JR has it right. He's gonna make it in the NBA. He's the best HS player since Lebron. This kid really is incredible - one of the best defensive players I have ever seen at the HS level. I think it's unfair to judge his ability to make it through college based on his antics as a HS player. When a college coach gets a kid, the right coach, they can certainly change a kid. I've heard that OJ is a very polite young man normally and some say this is an unusual situation for him. He will eventually be a very good player in the NBA and I'll bet sooner than later . . .
If you read the complaint, one of the funniest things in there is that the suspension could possible ruin Mayo's reputation. Ironic, since his actions, particularly filing the lawsuit itself, have far more damage his reputation than meekly serving the suspension ever could.

Maybe he is just a nice guy off the court, but it's clear that most of us here on the board, and I would wager most officials, will never see him as more than a thug.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 09:40am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire
Maybe he is just a nice guy off the court, but it's clear that most of us here on the board, and I would wager most officials, will never see him as more than a thug.
Naw, I don't see him as a thug. He's a kid. Let's see how he turns out before we label him as anything. He's like any other teenager right now. He's got one heckuva lot of growing up and maturing to do. He might end up as one of the real solid citizens in the NBA...and life, and personally I hope he does.

If we're gonna blame anyone, blame the damn system that turns these kids out and gives them that false sense of entitlement.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Naw, I don't see him as a thug. He's a kid. Let's see how he turns out before we label him as anything. He's like any other teenager right now. He's got one heckuva lot of growing up and maturing to do. He might end up as one of the real solid citizens in the NBA...and life, and personally I hope he does.

If we're gonna blame anyone, blame the damn system that turns these kids out and gives them that false sense of entitlement.
I'll agree that it's the system's fault and join you in wishing he turns out well, but realistically it's not in the cards. He won't stay in college long enough for that coach to make a difference and in the NBA what do they care so long as you're on the court and not in court?
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'll agree that it's the system's fault and join you in wishing he turns out well, but realistically it's not in the cards. He won't stay in college long enough for that coach to make a difference and in the NBA what do they care so long as you're on the court and not in court?

whaaaaat?? when did the NBA care if you were in court???? Just so long as you are ON the court LOL
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 12:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Going to college is not going to automatically make you a great human being. Calling a kid a thug is also a little much. He was not arrested, he did not do anything illegal as of yet. There are several kids that have come out of HS and went straight to the NBA and they are nothing but fine young men. If anything the young man made a mistake and he needed an adult to show him how he needs to learn from that situation. The coaches, schools or parents could have all stepped in and not let this get so far. I know I made a lot of mistakes when I was his age, but it was not in the media and it was not as public. I also know many like myself and had worse problems and they are very productive people. I think sometimes here we really lose sight of the bigger picture.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Player Disciplined....but no details

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/...19/1001/NEWS10

Huntington High School has taken disciplinary action against one of the Huntington High basketball players for their conduct during last week’s game against Capital at the Charleston Civic Center.

However, school officials are not saying who the player is or whether the action includes game or school suspensions, or both.

Jedd Flowers, director of communications for Cabell County Schools, said the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act prohibits Huntington High from releasing disciplinary action against a student.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

BREAKING NEWS: WVSSAC Says "No Need For Further Inquiry"

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 04:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Well.......I wonder if the fanboys will go after an injunction against the principal now too.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

The key information:
Sources tell WSAZ Sports Director Keith Morehouse that Principal Greg Webb has decided to suspend Mayo from sports for 14 days due to his conduct at the game against Capital High School on Friday, January 26.

WSAZ has also been told that the suspension will not start until after Friday's game against Scott County. The 14-day suspension will affect four games.

Good move, Mr. Webb.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/...19/1001/NEWS10

Huntington High School has taken disciplinary action against one of the Huntington High basketball players for their conduct during last week’s game against Capital at the Charleston Civic Center.

However, school officials are not saying who the player is or whether the action includes game or school suspensions, or both.

Jedd Flowers, director of communications for Cabell County Schools, said the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act prohibits Huntington High from releasing disciplinary action against a student.
From what I heard, he's going to serve a 14-day suspension beginning Monday. That will cause him to miss the Scott, KY game at home and the Capital rematch in the MSAC title game - it's like 4 or 5 games he will miss. That's probably less than deserved but more than most of us thought he'd get.

According to my sources, he admitted to Mike Hayden that he did bump Lazo and agreed to the suspension before he left for NC on Tuesday. I actually knew this Tuesday afternoon but had to wait till the news was "official".

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.

Last edited by Mountaineer; Thu Feb 01, 2007 at 04:21pm.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Notice how the suspension doesn't start until after Friday's game against Scott County, and not immediately. Gotta keep him in those high-profile games.

(Used with permission.)
Closed Thread