Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 02:17pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I didn't see it, but read news reports on the game. Mayo fouled out with the result still in doubt, but HHS won anyway.
Damn those refs for fouling him out again...I paid my $$ to see OJ play...let him play you damn refs!!

Ok, always wanted to be an obnoxious fan for a minute...why are people assuming that the administration of HHS had anything to do with this court proceeding? Did I miss something? The injunctive relief was sought by the Mayo kid, his parents, and the parents of the other kids who were suspended. Why does that equate to the admin not having any integrity??
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Damn those refs for fouling him out again...I paid my $$ to see OJ play...let him play you damn refs!!

Ok, always wanted to be an obnoxious fan for a minute...why are people assuming that the administration of HHS had anything to do with this court proceeding? Did I miss something? The injunctive relief was sought by the Mayo kid, his parents, and the parents of the other kids who were suspended. Why does that equate to the admin not having any integrity??
The player is being represnted by the assistant coach. A coach is part of the administration of the school. The school administration is thereby involved.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 03:34pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Ok, always wanted to be an obnoxious fan for a minute...
So I've heard. . .
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

the admin has no integrity by choosing to allow this young man to play. Even though a judge stepped in it is still up to the schools administration (athletic director, Principal) to decide if he should be allowed to play. They haven't taught this kid anything except that he is for now above the law....

Phil
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantoine
the admin has no integrity by choosing to allow this young man to play. Even though a judge stepped in it is still up to the schools administration (athletic director, Principal, AND COACH) to decide if he should be allowed to play. They haven't taught this kid anything except that he is for now above the law....

Phil
My thoughts EXACTLY, with the one addition.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 04:22pm
Esteemed Participant

Uhmmm, people, if the courts have said that the players are to be allowed to play, then the administration of the school can't stop them from playing - that's what the TRO or injunction was for in the first place...as far as the lawyer/assistant coach goes, wait and see if the administration handles him after the season, but they certainly can't do anything about him being the kid's lawyer...
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Uhmmm, people, if the courts have said that the players are to be allowed to play, then the administration of the school can't stop them from playing - that's what the TRO or injunction was for in the first place...as far as the lawyer/assistant coach goes, wait and see if the administration handles him after the season, but they certainly can't do anything about him being the kid's lawyer...
Really? Is the judge on the HS Board? How are the kids going to play when the school cancels the transportation and hotel accommodations? Is the judge going to pay for that, also?

And who hires the coach? That's right, the school which means they can terminate him for cause anytime, and in some states (don't know about WV), cause is not necessary.

Yeah, the school does have the authority to determine who represents the school ON the court and IN the court.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All the court did was say that the WVSSAC or whatever it's called couldn't enforce the suspension yet. But that doesn't stop the coach from letting the kid dress, and then sitting him on the bench the whole game. If the coach wanted to "do the right thing," that's exactly what he'd do.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
All the court did was say that the WVSSAC or whatever it's called couldn't enforce the suspension yet. But that doesn't stop the coach from letting the kid dress, and then sitting him on the bench the whole game. If the coach wanted to "do the right thing," that's exactly what he'd do.
That would have been the right thing to do - hopefully teach the kid a lesson.

Here's my bet that this "star" has a rough time in college following the rules and probably will fizzle out down the road.

And I would blame the school for not doing their part to teach him anything about integrity etc.,

Let's see how many guys do we read about daily that are now in trouble with the law - and its only going to keep getting worse because of situations like this one.

turn off rant now

Thanks
David
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 07:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
Here's my bet that this "star" has a rough time in college following the rules and probably will fizzle out down the road.
Here's my bet. Mayo will go to USC and they'll kiss his butt just like his high schools and AAU teams did. The only difference is that he'll get paid better. Some USC booster(s) will take care of him up into the six figure range, just like Reggie Bush. He'll stay exactly the one year at USC that he has to under the new NBA rule, and then he'll be gone to the NBA.

Do you wanna bet on which one of us is closer to the way it shakes out?

Btw, if anybody thinks thinks that this kid isn't getting something under the table right now at the high school he's playing for, well, I got this ocean-front property down in Fla. for sale.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Various comments on some of the comments here:
  • The judge is a Huntington circuit court judge - do you think he'd rule against OJ?
  • The assistant coach is not part of the school administration - he is simply an assistant coach of the team. The principal has said publically that they were not a part of the legal proceedings and that their position is that OJ has been suspended and should sit the next two games - then the court ruled otherwise.
  • OJ really doesn't need to worry about rules in college - or classes either for that matter - he's going to USC next year and then the NBA after that. He would be a certain lottery pick this year if he were allowed to participate in the draft.
  • This morning they interviewed the guy that keeps the clock at the Civic Center - he's a very nice guy. His exact words were "WHEN (empahsis mine) OJ bumped the official it appeared their legs got tangled."
Now for an update - according to my sources, the situation is settled. I'm not at liberty to divulge the details until the story breaks publically, but I think people will be pleasantly surprised at the outcome. I think that it will put some closure to the entire situation. Hopefully, I'll be able to post the details tomorrow, if it's not already posted somewhere on the net . . . Apparently, OJ and Mike Hayden reached an agreement before OJ left for Durham.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Btw, if anybody thinks thinks that this kid isn't getting something under the table right now at the high school he's playing for, well, I got this ocean-front property down in Fla. for sale.
Who's paying him? How much do you want for the property? (Isn't the joke - ocean front property in Iowa?)

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 08:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
[*]This morning they interviewed the guy that keeps the clock at the Civic Center - he's a very nice guy. His exact words were "WHEN (empahsis mine) OJ bumped the official it appeared their legs got tangled."[/LIST]
That doesn't surprise me one bit, Larry. I can't imagine any official taking a deliberate dive.

Thanks for the update.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

You're probably right~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Here's my bet. Mayo will go to USC and they'll kiss his butt just like his high schools and AAU teams did. The only difference is that he'll get paid better. Some USC booster(s) will take care of him up into the six figure range, just like Reggie Bush. He'll stay exactly the one year at USC that he has to under the new NBA rule, and then he'll be gone to the NBA.

Do you wanna bet on which one of us is closer to the way it shakes out?

We had a guy from MS last year, same kind of deal and he did make it to the NBA but is a l ooooong way from being a regular.

The kid would never have made it in college though period,
Thanks
David
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
We had a guy from MS last year, same kind of deal and he did make it to the NBA but is a l ooooong way from being a regular.

The kid would never have made it in college though period,
Thanks
David
JR has it right. He's gonna make it in the NBA. He's the best HS player since Lebron. This kid really is incredible - one of the best defensive players I have ever seen at the HS level. I think it's unfair to judge his ability to make it through college based on his antics as a HS player. When a college coach gets a kid, the right coach, they can certainly change a kid. I've heard that OJ is a very polite young man normally and some say this is an unusual situation for him. He will eventually be a very good player in the NBA and I'll bet sooner than later . . .

Closed Thread