The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Rut,

Not sure about NFHS rules, but it's my understanding that if a shooter goes up, defender's hand(s) touch the ball, the ball comes loose, and the shooter recovers and returns to the floor - you do not have a prevented release (and then AP) situation, but actually nothing at all.

In this case, then, by rule, your partner indicating an inadvertent whistle would have been the only acceptable outcome.

Having said all that, I really like the way you guys handled it. I do, however, think that only a veteran crew with a lot of credibility could get away with it. Also not sure we want to get in the habit of correcting each others' calls all the time. Missed calls are bad and we need to minimize them....but they are a part of the imperfect world the game is played in.

Last edited by canuckrefguy; Sun Jan 14, 2007 at 06:13pm.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

I think you nailed it.
1. It was a jump.
2. Your partner could not see the play from his angle.
3. You didn't run in yelling, "I got it, I got it" and try to override him.
4. You all three huddled and came out right.
What more could you ask for?
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I have to disagree with you here.

Peace
That's OK, we can agree to disagree. I wasn't there. However, like I said earlier, where do you draw the line? There are many times in a season where a partner makes a call and you feel pretty sure that they might have missed it. I think it sets bad precedent when you go in, uninvited, in a situation like this. It worked out for you. I wouldn't have done it.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 08:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
That's OK, we can agree to disagree. I wasn't there. However, like I said earlier, where do you draw the line? There are many times in a season where a partner makes a call and you feel pretty sure that they might have missed it. I think it sets bad precedent when you go in, uninvited, in a situation like this. It worked out for you. I wouldn't have done it.
Don't we do the same thing on out of bounds calls? If my partner would have said he was not changing, conversation would be over and I would have walked away. It is that simple. I have even done this on out of bounds calls and over and back calls. I have called two over and back and had partners try to tell me I was wrong. I told them what I saw and went with my calls. I would have done the same thing if the calling officials felt he was all over the call.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't we do the same thing on out of bounds calls? If my partner would have said he was not changing, conversation would be over and I would have walked away. It is that simple. I have even done this on out of bounds calls and over and back calls. I have called two over and back and had partners try to tell me I was wrong. I told them what I saw and went with my calls. I would have done the same thing if the calling officials felt he was all over the call.

Peace
All I'm asking Rut is where we draw the line? If you go discuss this traveling call with the official, is that now your limit (obvious out-of-bounds calls and traveling calls)? (And by the way, we pregame how to handle an obvious tip - we do not pregame how to handle a partner's "missed travel" call). Or do you discuss fouls with them that you think they missed? It just seems like you are opening Pandora's box when you start coming in, uninvited, on a partner's judgment call. That's all.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 09:06pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
........I happened to look towards the table and noticed that the home team had the arrow. Then I suggested that we just go with a jump ball

I personally probably would have done nothing, but that part is debatable. BUT, if we are to understand that which direction the arrow was pointing was even a small factor in your decision to go that route, I have a big problem with that.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

I think I'm reading Tomegun correctly in saying that his main problem is that there was not a whistle for a jump ball so how the call be changed to that.

I have to agree. I don't have a problem with you coming in and giving your partner information in an area where your primaries overlap like in this case. That being said, your information (as I read it) was that B1 made contact with ball, dislodging it momentarily from A1's control. Therefore your information to the calling official (should he choose to use it) was that no violation ocurred. No held ball because the ball was dislodged and no travel because the ball was once again dislodged.

I think you have to go IW or stick with the original call...jmo
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
I think you nailed it.
1. It was a jump.
2. Your partner could not see the play from his angle.
3. You didn't run in yelling, "I got it, I got it" and try to override him.
4. You all three huddled and came out right.
What more could you ask for?
But its not a jump, its a play-on.

PS I think you did the right thing. This was one of those clear calls that needs to be changed and not a judgement call IMO.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
But its not a jump, its a play-on.

PS I think you did the right thing. This was one of those clear calls that needs to be changed and not a judgement call IMO.
......but not to an AP
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

The correct answer is if your partner after hearing your info decides you are right then it is an IW and play on. If he thinks he had a better angle and wants to stick with his call then it is a travel and you go with the call. No AP, no jump ball. Using the AP penalizes the team who loses the arrrow.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

I'm pretty sure I saw this game. Rock Island vs. United Township? I saw a rebroadcast of it on local cable and it was definitely not a travel. I think you did the right thing going to your partner and getting the call right. I would have went with the jump ball call as well.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMike
I'm pretty sure I saw this game. Rock Island vs. United Township? I saw a rebroadcast of it on local cable and it was definitely not a travel. I think you did the right thing going to your partner and getting the call right. I would have went with the jump ball call as well.
IowaMike why jump ball when it was not a violation if it happened how the poster said? Why not IW?
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 12:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up You got it my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMike
You have the right game.

Now are you saying you would call a jump ball because it truly was a jump ball or because you feel that was the best thing to do considering the circumstances?

Peace
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Ya know what Jeff? The way I read this I think I would have left it alone, let the T live the call. Top of the key isn't exactly your primary as C.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Ya know what Jeff? The way I read this I think I would have left it alone, let the T live the call. Top of the key isn't exactly your primary as C.
Bingo. We have a winner.