The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Girls varsity last night - One strong well organized team, one very weak, not sure whats going on team.

After an out of bounds call and a substitution, I give the ball to blue on the endline. The ball is inbounded - I notice a commotion at the home bench and realize I have given the ball to the wrong team. (It seems to happen to me once a year every year and always a girls game - How embarrasing!)

But the fun doesn't stop here. The clock operator takes it upon himself to blow the horn a couple of times, the players stop playing, and now my partner has to blow her whistle to get things sorted out.

I remind the clock operator he is not to stop the play even when the official screws up. I tell the offended coach it was the officials fault the ball was given to the wrong team, and is normally not correctable once the ball is inbounded, but since the clock operator caused enough confusion to stop the play, We will start play by giving the ball to the correct team.

I'm not looking for help or answers here, because I know its my mental letdown during one sided games that permit it to happen. My goal is that during the week at least one of you will remember this post and prevent it from happening to you.

Have fun out there!

Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

This happened to me in a MS Boys game. Partner called a foul on A1. I was not sure what team the foul was called on. I looked at him for help. I ask “White Ball?” He nodded. I handed the ball to A2 to inbound. As I was coming up the court, I glanced at the benches and my partner was talking to Coach B with his back to the court. Since I didn't have a partner on the court I blew it and realized my mistake. We gave the ball to B at the original spot.
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by gostars
This happened to me in a MS Boys game. Partner called a foul on A1. I was not sure what team the foul was called on. I looked at him for help. I ask “White Ball?” He nodded. I handed the ball to A2 to inbound. As I was coming up the court, I glanced at the benches and my partner was talking to Coach B with his back to the court. Since I didn't have a partner on the court I blew it and realized my mistake. We gave the ball to B at the original spot.
Technically, this isn't correctable, but I don't blame you for having a do-over in MS. Next time, though, really, you probably should just swallow it. As I told a table person one time, "The ref just has to live with the disgrace and ignominy."
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Oops Wrong Team

Had one over Christmas at Frosh Boys Tourney..5th place game. not real high quality B-Ball.

Partner calls OOB violation and yells Blue--I head toward my spot [we were doing the bad thing with a long switch] about time I get even with P he hands ball to White--I thought I might have misunderstood his call and make quick U-turn to get back to my spot as lead under Whites basket--ball is in-bounded--White dribbles down about to FT line Extended--and P realizes he gave ball to wrong team. Whistles to "correct his error"--I come out and advise him that in-bounding to wrong team is not a correctable error--and we have to live with it. I know maybe a do over is a possibility but you never know who is in stands watching or evaluating so it was best not to do two wrongs to make the right.

But--partner learned this was not correctable. We both learned, next time I'll question him if I was headed 1-way and needed the quick U-Turn because of what I thought he called.