Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 12:15pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
True, I'm just telling you what I would do in the case where I thought the player was faking.
Can you answer my questions?

Tell me where you work, what leagues and what levels. Please don't give me to a link where you gave a vague answer to this. You are really suspect (IMO) right now and some straight forward answers could help your credibility. Unless you have something to hide.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 12:18pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by armymanjones
I agree with OS and if the coach is beckoned the player is to bereplaced regardless if he comes out or not.
The only time I can think of a coach not coming on the floor after he/she was beckoned would be if the player was getting up and was OK to continue. I would probably let the player stay if they seemed OK. Are you saying that when you beckon the coach it is a done deal regardless? Also, did anyone say they had beckoned the coach and the coach didn't come on the floor or are you throwing that in now? I don't want to go back and look at all the posts.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 12:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
This is wrong too.
Oh, for God's sake. WHACK!

I don't typically beckon anyone -- if the player's hurt and I stop the game the coach/trainer can consider himself beckoned. I don't get involved with injured players unless I have a coach that NEEDS to come out, but WON'T.

But unlike Old School, I know the rule
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 12:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
The only time I can think of a coach not coming on the floor after he/she was beckoned would be if the player was getting up and was OK to continue. I would probably let the player stay if they seemed OK. Are you saying that when you beckon the coach it is a done deal regardless? Also, did anyone say they had beckoned the coach and the coach didn't come on the floor or are you throwing that in now? I don't want to go back and look at all the posts.
Depends. If it's a premature beckon and the coach doesn't come out, I'm likely going to change my mind and not require the player leave or the team burn a timeout. Consider it an inadvertant beckon.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
By rule 3-3 art. 5 nfhs...A player who as been injured to the extent that the coach or any other bench personnel is BECKONED and/or comes onto the court shall be directed to leave the game, unless a time-out is requested by and granted to, his/her team and the situation can be corrected by the end of the time-out

Last edited by armymanjones; Thu Jan 04, 2007 at 12:29pm.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 12:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
True, I'm just telling you what I would do in the case where I thought the player was faking.
If I think the player is faking an injury, it's a technical foul.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 12:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
If I think the player is faking an injury, it's a technical foul.
Or he can go sit down. Sub!!!
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, I'm going to look it up because Bob asked me too, and btw, off the top, I was very close. NFHS Rule 3.3.5 says if I beckon the coach, and/or the coach comes on to the floor.
Good: You looked it up.

Good: You learned something.

Bad: You refuse to apply it and think your orignal answer was "close." If your answer was "close" then so are most of the inane comments yelled by the fans.

Picky: Rules are referred to with a dash (e.g., 3-3-5); cases are referred to with dots (e.e.g, 3.3.5A) And, that's not "my" standard, it's in the case book.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I ask if the player if he can continue. If he says yes we continue on. If he says no/or nothing and continues to act injured I beckon the coach and he either sits or they burn a timeout
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 12:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I'm not doing this without any rules basis. You do what you want.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 12:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Good: You looked it up.

Good: You learned something.

Bad: You refuse to apply it and think your orignal answer was "close." If your answer was "close" then so are most of the inane comments yelled by the fans.

Picky: Rules are referred to with a dash (e.g., 3-3-5); cases are referred to with dots (e.e.g, 3.3.5A) And, that's not "my" standard, it's in the case book.
Thanks for the lesson Bob. However, you are incorrect when you assume I refuse to apply it. I might bend it a little if I thought the player was faking being poked in the eye, thus causing me to put air in the whistle. I also don't care what a fan thinks.

Good day!
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the lesson Bob. However, you are incorrect when you assume I refuse to apply it. I might bend it a little if I thought the player was faking being poked in the eye, thus causing me to put air in the whistle. I also don't care what a fan thinks.

Good day!
What's the penalty for faking being fouled? Hint: It's not that the player must leave the game.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Scrapper,

What I was trying to say is that I agree (when I said perfectly said) with what NevadaRef said in one of the first posts on this topic.

As for telling coaches to practice this method that was meant as a little fun. But, if you don't think some coaches and players would go that far to draw a foul - think again.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Consider it an inadvertant beckon.
Citation for an "inadvertent beckon?"
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 02:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
Scrapper,

What I was trying to say is that I agree (when I said perfectly said) with what NevadaRef said in one of the first posts on this topic.

As for telling coaches to practice this method that was meant as a little fun. But, if you don't think some coaches and players would go that far to draw a foul - think again.
Maybe, but it's our job to know the difference.