The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Eyepoke

I had a situation last night in my game and am looking for input. I am C and have A1 with the ball right in front of me defended by B1. B1 swats at the ball and apparently pokes A1 in the eye which I do not see. A1 cradles the ball with one arm and covers his eye with his other hand then starts to pivot on his pivot foot in pain.

Do you call a late foul? Call an officials timeout for his injury? Play on? What are your thoughts?
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 02:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj
I had a situation last night in my game and am looking for input. I am C and have A1 with the ball right in front of me defended by B1. B1 swats at the ball and apparently pokes A1 in the eye which I do not see. A1 cradles the ball with one arm and covers his eye with his other hand then starts to pivot on his pivot foot in pain.

Do you call a late foul? Call an officials timeout for his injury? Play on? What are your thoughts?
I've had this situation before. If you realize it fast enough you can come with a late whistle for a foul. Still, some will say if you don't actually see the foul you can't call it.

The 2 or 3 times I've come with a late foul whistle no one has ever complained.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 02:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

If you're reffing in Texas, this is called a "cowpoke".
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 02:02pm

Don't call a foul if you don't see it. Stop the play for injury, player has to come out.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Blow the whistle. It's a foul.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 02:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Blow the whistle for the foul. Give the player a chance to recover before forcing the substitution.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 02:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Don't call a foul if you don't see it. Stop the play for injury, player has to come out.
Perhaps the most succinctly wrong post in a long time.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

or at least since lunch time
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 02:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

He gets props here for being succinct and wrong. It's not easy to wrong twice when you're only posting two sentences.
Apparently, when one gets bored with taking all the trophies, one must create new categories.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Calling a foul, however late, is the best way to handle this situation. Nobody will complain....if they do, then you know you've got someone who can be ignored for the rest of the game.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 03:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've no-called this before (early in my career) and regretted it. I knew what happened but didn't call it because I didn't "see" it. I stopped play for the injury to give A1 a moment to recover. He played on. Should have called the foul.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 03:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea
Calling a foul, however late, is the best way to handle this situation. Nobody will complain....if they do, then you know you've got someone who can be ignored for the rest of the game.
What, have you guys lost your mind! Call a foul that you didn't see! How in the sam blue hill you gonna tell a ref to call a foul they didn't see? What if the player is faking? Did you ever think of that? This is why you make him sit down. He could be faking, since I'm not sure, I'm going to side on the side of caution. If he's not hurt great, he can now sit down for faking an injury. If he is hurt, great we can get somebody to attend to it. If the coach wants to complain about missing a foul here. Well, guess what coach, players miss F/T too, it happens.

Geece...I can't believe you would penalize a player for a foul when you didn't see. That's teaching them...
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 03:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

That's more like it. Take your time, take a deep breath, and be thoroughly wrong.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj

I have always ruled an inadvertent poke in the eye to not be a foul. I simply stop the game and give the player a moment or two to recover. Invariably the opponent is apologetic and the game continues nicely.

That's just what works for me.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

It seems that I've seen more of this, this season, so just my two cents:
...if I didn't see the poke, I have a hard time calling a foul. If need be, however I do call my time and give the offensive player time to recover. Like earlier posts -- the player can stay in the game and I warn the defensive player.
...if I saw the defensive player make a play I considered unsafe, I have called a foul...and warned him (or at least looked at him a bit sternly).

We actually had a game early this year where a coach apparently taught a technique to his players to get in a good defensive position with hands down -- but then bring their hands up in efforts to make a steal. I thought the first 'inadvertent' slap up someone's face was just that. But then it happened again and we called a foul. The third time (not the same player) we called a technical and the coach got the players to tone their actions back a bit.
Closed Thread