The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 04:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Juulie, you had a spelling error above. You misspelled "rec league" as "league." Just trying to be helpful.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Juulie, you had a spelling error above. You misspelled "rec league" as "league." Just trying to be helpful.
now, now...
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 04:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

OS, if I purposefully set aside a rule because it makes me feel better, or it's easier, then I expect to find myself underneath that bus. I expect to be defended on judgment calls, but not on missing the rules. And, if I'm ever approached about a rule I've pooched, I'll cop to it and learn (done it). But good Lord, even if the player is injured, you give them a moment to gather themselves and continue to play. Happens all the time. Half the time the coach is sending a sub to the bench by the time you hit the whistle anyway, but there are lots of times when you blow your whistle for an injury that you should immediately put the ball back in play.

You have no rules basis for forcing the sub when the player and coach say the player is ready to play immediately. None whatsoever.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 04:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
now, now...
Hey, it's your theory; and it's the most charitable one I've seen.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 04:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
His "friend" works for the Big Ten but lives on the east coast.

Rut, I have a question that is totally off topic and I hope not too general for an answer. I have lived on the west coast (sort of) and the east coast. Although many (on the west coast) would like to deny it, there is a different brand of basketball played between the coasts. Out west more fouls are called that would be considered "game interupters" (JR ) on the east coast. More emphasis is placed on playing through contact on the east coast. My question is this, how would you say the midwest compares to this? I'm originally from the midwest, but I have no experience as an official in that part of the country and this conversation just made me curious.
I cannot speak for the entire Midwest. I can only speak for the parts that I have worked. I started officiating in West Central Illinois where most of the schools are smaller and the talent is not of a D1 level. I moved to the Chicago land area back in 1999 and started working games full time up here in 2000-2001. Where I started in West Central Illinois it is common place for little contact to be called a foul. That is what is normally expected when I work games in this area and what is expected from teams that come from that area. When I started working in Chicago, I had to adjust big time. The talent was better across the board and some of the countries best players come from this area or the surrounding suburbs. Up here they expect much more contact and want you to wait. Also there are many more college officials and officials that work at the D1 level or have pro backgrounds or aspirations. In other words what you watch in the Big Ten is a very good example of what is expected. They expect a lot of contact in certain circumstances and it is not uncommon to be praised for a no-call on a lot of contact. When I read this board it is very clear the expectations are very different around the country. And in conversations I had with officials over the country when I attended a D1 camp this summer, it was clear that the expectations of HS officials varied big time. I even worked a tournament this Thanksgiving where we had teams from Arizona, Texas, Indiana and Illinois and the complaints about calls were vastly different from the teams. The 2 Texas teams hardly complained about the calls we did not make, one of the coaches apologized for complaining about a couple of calls when he realized we were consistent. The Arizona coach did nothing but complain and the Indiana coach complained the most of all. So there were obviously difference in expectations from the different teams and areas they were from. Now why that is I do not completely know. I can just come to a reasonable conclusion the officials do not call the same things in all these places.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Have you really told multiple coaches these exact words or was that the thought that went through your head?
I've said it once or twice.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 05:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
OS, if I purposefully set aside a rule because it makes me feel better, or it's easier, then I expect to find myself underneath that bus. I expect to be defended on judgment calls, but not on missing the rules. And, if I'm ever approached about a rule I've pooched, I'll cop to it and learn (done it). But good Lord, even if the player is injured, you give them a moment to gather themselves and continue to play. Happens all the time. Half the time the coach is sending a sub to the bench by the time you hit the whistle anyway, but there are lots of times when you blow your whistle for an injury that you should immediately put the ball back in play.

You have no rules basis for forcing the sub when the player and coach say the player is ready to play immediately. None whatsoever.
Whatever...!!!!
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 05:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
now, now...
Why are you cutting this poster as much slack as you are? None is deserved.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Why are you cutting this poster as much slack as you are? None is deserved.
Well, I wasn't at first. In fact, at one point, I asked the mods to XXX her. But then she started to show signs of reasoning and discussing, and I wanted to encourage that. But I'm afraid it didn't last. Too bad. It was actually interesting and fun for a little while.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 08:20pm
In Memoriam

Nuff said.
Thanks for playing.
Closed Thread