The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 02:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
What's the penalty for faking being fouled? Hint: It's not that the player must leave the game.
No, but I would rather just make him sit down then enforce a technical. Game management. Sends the same message without the heavy payload of a technical. I don't think an assigner is going to get to bent out of shape for this one.

Play Ball!
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 02:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

No, it doesn't send the same message. Faking an injury is a technical foul for a reason. But, like I said, you call it how you want.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 02:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
We're not talking about baseball or freedom in America, we're talking about a basketball play.
Are you going to answer the question?

Peace
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 02:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Are you going to answer the question?

Peace
I missed the question amidst all the rhetoric. Could you please repeat it for me.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Jan 04, 2007 at 02:37pm.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 02:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I missed the question amidst all the rhetoric. Could you please repeat it for me.
Why not look back at the post and find out. The fact that you did not answer the question when you posted a response tells me everything I need to know anyway. You cannot justify your position logically. Go ahead and call something that did not happen if you like or what you think happen. I will not do that no matter how many times you post it on the internet.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
in 8 years of officiating ...
About a month ago you said you had 4 years experience. How did you all of a sudden gain 4 more years?
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 02:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Why not look back at the post and find out. The fact that you did not answer the question when you posted a response tells me everything I need to know anyway. You cannot justify your position logically. Go ahead and call something that did not happen if you like or what you think happen. I will not do that no matter how many times you post it on the internet.

Peace
Nevermind, I found it (I think).
Quote:
So a swipe means there is contact?
I fail to see what this has to do with the topic at hand. I know I never made any references to "all swipes". I made reference to a particular scenario.

Since this is America and we are all free, I could exercise my right not to answer your question. Or I could be a smart-a$$ and say it's a regional thing so I can only answer for how we do things in Virginia.

BTW, how many times did I post it on the Internet? My count has it at 1.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Jan 04, 2007 at 02:39pm.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

4 years of high school -- 4 years before that were youth, middle school, and rec leagues.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 02:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That's definite knowledge, too.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 02:50pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
No, but I would rather just make him sit down then enforce a technical. Game management. Sends the same message without the heavy payload of a technical. I don't think an assigner is going to get to bent out of shape for this one.

Play Ball!
The answer to Bob's question was not "No." You basically ignored the question just like you ignored my questions. I think it is about time for some of these imposter officials to lay their cards on the table or shut up! You are making officials who want to learn something read and/or scroll through your BS and you can't even answer simple questions. Be strong and answer the questions without being evasive. Again, that tells something about you as a so called official.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 02:51pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
4 years of high school -- 4 years before that were youth, middle school, and rec leagues.
Was any training or reading of the rulebook involved during your first four years?
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 02:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I fail to see what this has to do with the topic at hand. I know I never made any references to "all swipes". I made reference to a particular scenario.
This is the exact quote from the OPer.

"I am C and have A1 with the ball right in front of me defended by B1. B1 swats at the ball and apparently pokes A1 in the eye which I do not see."

Quote:
Since this is America and we are all free, I could exercise my right not to answer your question. Or I could be a smart-a$$ and say it's a regional thing so I can only answer for how we do things in Virginia.
Unlike many people here I would not be offended or upset by those words. If you have worked with people across the country like I have at camps, you will realize that people do not have the same philosophies from one state to another or even one level to another. The only people that seemed to have a problem with the "regional thing" are the people that are on this board. Oh well, I digress.

Quote:
Well if you actually read many posts on this topic, you would see that you were not the only person talking about making a call based on something they actually saw, but what they think they saw.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 02:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Depends. If it's a premature beckon and the coach doesn't come out, I'm likely going to change my mind and not require the player leave or the team burn a timeout. Consider it an inadvertant beckon.
You are wise beyond your years.

If there's no appreciable delay, just get the game going.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 03:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
This is the exact quote from the OPer.

"I am C and have A1 with the ball right in front of me defended by B1. B1 swats at the ball and apparently pokes A1 in the eye which I do not see."
and here was my exact response: "I've had this situation before. If you realize it fast enough you can come with a late whistle for a foul. Still, some will say if you don't actually see the foul you can't call it.

The 2 or 3 times I've come with a late foul whistle no one has ever complained."

I fail to see any cohersive tone to my response.

Quote:
Unlike many people here I would not be offended or upset by those words. If you have worked with people across the country like I have at camps, you will realize that people do not have the same philosophies from one state to another or even one level to another. The only people that seemed to have a problem with the "regional thing" are the people that are on this board. Oh well, I digress.
Luckily I am blessed to work for a supervisor who is a Big Ten/Final Four official, so I have been exposed to the Midwest flavor also.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You are wise beyond your years.

If there's no appreciable delay, just get the game going.
LOL before you beckon you determine by asking the player or observing and making a decision as to the ability of the player to continue. If the player can not immediately continue and the case book says not more than a few seconds the player should be replaced and if you beckon the player has to be removed. So give it a second to see if the players ok and if not you beckon. Better to error on the side of safety.
Closed Thread