Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:00am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Oh geeze Bob, okay, I will look it up. give me a minute.

Off the top, I thought that if you stopped the clock for injury, the player must be replaced. I will research it.
What pro, college and high school leagues do you work? I mean specific state and league names? I know you probably won't tell us but come on! With enough experience to do pro or college leagues you have to have come across a situation where a player was hurt, but the coach didn't come out and the player stayed in the game.

This is why you have no respect and are basically a laughing stock. This is simple and you are really going to look it up. Amazing!
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
This is the exact reason that they print up those books.

At a game last night, a coach, who had recently been digging through the rule book, said to us, "They really have a bunch of rules in there, don't they?"
LOLOLOL!!!

btw, so you are working this year, mick? I started thinking you had gone off to have quadruple bypass surgery without telling anyone like another cretin we all know and love to hate...
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
What pro, college and high school leagues do you work? I mean specific state and league names? I know you probably won't tell us but come on! With enough experience to do pro or college leagues you have to have come across a situation where a player was hurt, but the coach didn't come out and the player stayed in the game.

This is why you have no respect and are basically a laughing stock. This is simple and you are really going to look it up. Amazing!
Hey, cmon, tom, she's starting to back down and act like a real ref. Give her some space!
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

For someone in the sixth or seventh year of reading the rules book, who's been reffing for a long time (15 years or so), I really would expect you to know this rule. I've never seen a single ref get this one wrong, and I've never heard a single coach get it wrong, and I've never heard a single fan get it wrong. It's basic.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
For someone in the sixth or seventh year of reading the rules book, who's been reffing for a long time (15 years or so), I really would expect you to know this rule. I've never seen a single ref get this one wrong, and I've never heard a single coach get it wrong, and I've never heard a single fan get it wrong. It's basic.
Yup, getting close to irascible. ALthough I think you need a few more lessons.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Citation, please.

If the coach doesn't come out onto the court, he can stay in. 3-3-5.
This is wrong too.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
This is wrong too.
Ha !

But with Rich, you knew what he meant.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is wrong too.
Really? Explain why Coach.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:46am

Quote:
No, I'm going to look it up because Bob asked me too, and btw, off the top, I was very close. NFHS Rule 3.3.5 says if I beckon the coach, and/or the coach comes on to the floor. I'm not going to beat myself up on this one. Since the player could be faking, guess what, he's coming out in my games or the coach can buy a timeout to keep in. If the player is really injured, then everything will take it's normal course. However, if the player is faking and I stop the clock thinking he/she is really hurt. Price you pay for trying to trick the referee. Either call a timeout which is what I just did for you, or player takes a seat and can come back on the next dead whistle. Lesson, don't try to trick the referee if you're not really hurt.

Do whatever you want or what makes since to you. I know what I'm going to do.

I had one situation where a player was hit in the groin and down he went. The play went all the way down to the other end and the injured player remained on the floor. They passed the ball around and finally scored and then I blasted the whistle to kill the play. I beckon for the coach and he would not come out. The player still laying there on the court. Now I know why the coach wouldn't come out. However, this player laid on the ground for a very long time, and I'm sorry, coach or no coach, he's coming out the game. You could be sued for negligence for allowing a player to continue to play in a situation like this. Again, I'm not going there. I'm not going to be the doctor to say he is or isn't. If I send him to the bench and the coach sends him back in, that's on the coach.

Give me a sub coach!
Peace
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:48am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
Because even if the coach doesn't come out, the player may still have to be replaced; for example, if the trainer is beckoned.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
Because a manager or trainer may come out instead of the coach. The player must then be replaced.

But contrary to what Old School thinks, the player does not have to be replaced, simply because he/she thinks so.

Does the make "since," Old School?

Being wrong, refusing to admit it, and then rationalizing it doesn't make any "since" at all.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Thu Jan 04, 2007 at 11:55am.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is wrong too.
I was with Rich...I wasn't reading into the sitch that the trainer could be coming out. Sorry.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 12:00pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Either call a timeout which is what I just did for you, or player takes a seat and can come back on the next dead whistle. Lesson, don't try to trick the referee if you're not really hurt.

Do whatever you want or what makes since to you. I know what I'm going to do.

Peace
How many timeouts do we have per game? NONE, so I'm not calling a timeout!

You also didn't answer my questions, which doesn't surprise me. If you have been officiating long enough to do pro and college basketball you should know the rule and the procedure for protecting a player that is injured. The exact rule reference shouldn't matter since your statement was dead wrong! Just because a player is possibly injured, and the clock is stopped, does not mean the player must come out of the game. You said otherwise.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 12:10pm

Quote:
Just because a player is possibly injured, and the clock is stopped, does not mean the player must come out of the game.
True, I'm just telling you what I would do in the case where I thought the player was faking.

Last edited by Old School; Thu Jan 04, 2007 at 12:27pm.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with OS and if the coach is beckoned the player is to ber eplaced regardless if he comes out or not.
Closed Thread