Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 08:35am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by mj
I had a situation last night in my game and am looking for input. I am C and have A1 with the ball right in front of me defended by B1. B1 swats at the ball and apparently pokes A1 in the eye which I do not see. A1 cradles the ball with one arm and covers his eye with his other hand then starts to pivot on his pivot foot in pain.

Do you call a late foul? Call an officials timeout for his injury? Play on? What are your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
If I recognize it's a poke quickly enough, it's a foul. If I don't see it until a few seconds later, I'll just stop the game.
I agree, Rich.
If I am watching a closely defended ballhandler and see a handswipe near the face, I will need to see the reflexive reaction of the head snapping away in order to justify the immediate foul. Absent that response, I will stop play and allow the player to recover or to be replaced.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Originally Posted by mj
I had a situation last night in my game and am looking for input. I am C and have A1 with the ball right in front of me defended by B1. B1 swats at the ball and apparently pokes A1 in the eye which I do not see. A1 cradles the ball with one arm and covers his eye with his other hand then starts to pivot on his pivot foot in pain.

Do you call a late foul? Call an officials timeout for his injury? Play on? What are your thoughts?

I agree, Rich.
If I am watching a closely defended ballhandler and see a handswipe near the face, I will need to see the reflexive reaction of the head snapping away in order to justify the immediate foul. Absent that response, I will stop play and allow the player to recover or to be replaced.

Well, there you have it folks. If mick says it, it's right.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 08:47am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
I have several friends who are college coaches. I am going to tell them to teach a method where as an offensive player - they go down and get the call - when contact could have happened.
Feel free. My guess is that they will laugh in your face. The number of times that they will have to implement your "method" will be so few that it's not worth the time spent to teach it. How many times a season do you see a kid get poked in the eye in the last 4 minutes of a tight ballgame? Maybe once. Certainly not more than twice.

So for an average of one possession per season, they're going to practice a "play" for which the only purpose is to fool the ref into calling a foul, and which at the same time completely stops their offensive set if it doesn't get called?

No kid is going to intentionally put himself at a that big a disadvantage while he has the ball at the end of a tight ballgame.

If you don't like the advice of a guy who had a magnificent officiating career, that's fine. But if it worked for him, I gotta think it's worth listening to.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 08:50am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
Perfectly said!
And, just for good measure. . .

If you don't want to listen to me (understandable, since you don't know me from Adam's dog), and you don't want to listen to an NCAA tournament official, that's fine.

But bear in mind that you just completely agreed with Old School. 'Nuff said.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Originally Posted by mj

I agree, Rich.
I agree with both of you. Had I seen the swipe (not sure how I missed it actually) and contact, I would've had an immediate foul. Like I said previously, I stopped play to allow the player to recover. The coach did take him out after the stoppage of play.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 10:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
OS, what are you protecting the player from? What if he fakes the injury to get out of a 5 second call? If you don't know for sure that he's hurt, why stop the game?
Error on the side of caution with the players.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 10:21am

Quote:
I agree, Rich.
Just remember, if you stop the clock, the player must be replaced. He's not staying in the game unless the coach buys a timeout to keep him in.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 10:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
And yes I have called someone being poked in the eye when I have seen it. Now what is your point?
My point is that the finger flying through the air and giving a quick poke to the eye is such small and fast moving thing that I don't know that I'm actually capable of seeing it. I see the swipe, I see the hand near the face, and I see the instinctive reaction of the poked player. I call the foul. If I wait until I actually see the finger in the eye for the split second it's in there, I'm never going to be able to make this call, and JohnnyrRingo's friends are going to teach their kids to start poking eyes while guarding the ballhandler.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Just remember, if you stop the clock, the player must be replaced. He's not staying in the game unless the coach buys a timeout to keep him in.
Reference, please.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 10:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Citation, please.

If the coach doesn't come out onto the court, he can stay in. 3-3-5.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 10:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Old School doesn't need a reference. He/She just uses whatever seems right and fair to Old School. Rules Schmules.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 10:45am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
I refuse to remember that.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 10:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 10:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Reference, please.
Oh geeze Bob, okay, I will look it up. give me a minute.

Off the top, I thought that if you stopped the clock for injury, the player must be replaced. I will research it.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 10:58am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Off the top, I thought that if you stopped the clock for injury, the player must be replaced. I will research it.
This is the exact reason that they print up those books.

At a game last night, a coach, who had recently been digging through the rule book, said to us, "They really have a bunch of rules in there, don't they?"
Closed Thread