The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Officials Responsibilities on Free Throws...?

Let me start with - I'm not whining, but was very disappointed with a missed call. Missed fouls, travels, OOB to the wrong team...they happen - that's basketball - things move fast, you can't see everything, besides - they almost always equal out by the end of the game... but this I just had the hardest time taking / understanding... opposing team had 1-1 with just under 2 minutes left..... they shoot - miss the rim - BIG TIME.... ball barely touches the far left corner of the backboard - bounces right into the shooting teams hands, and then put up the second shot, make it, and get fouled. Before the girl ever caught the ball, the entire gym (at least on our side) screamed VIOLATION... I asked the ref for an explanation.... none was given. I really do get that calls will be missed - but nothing is happening during a foul shot - not many distractions - I'm not missing some obscure rule am I?? Anyway, we lost the game by 10 (not because of the missed call - because we missed 7 layups and 8 foul shots in the second half ), but this could very well have been critical (if it was say a 2 point deficit instead of 10 at the time) - So, my question I guess is... does one official watch the lane and one watch the rim? How is this managed?

thanks in advance for the insight??

Coach M,
S. Hagerstown Lady Rebels
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcginthy
Let me start with - I'm not whining, but was very disappointed with a missed call. Missed fouls, travels, OOB to the wrong team...they happen - that's basketball - things move fast, you can't see everything, besides - they almost always equal out by the end of the game... but this I just had the hardest time taking / understanding... opposing team had 1-1 with just under 2 minutes left..... they shoot - miss the rim - BIG TIME.... ball barely touches the far left corner of the backboard - bounces right into the shooting teams hands, and then put up the second shot, make it, and get fouled. Before the girl ever caught the ball, the entire gym (at least on our side) screamed VIOLATION... I asked the ref for an explanation.... none was given. I really do get that calls will be missed - but nothing is happening during a foul shot - not many distractions - I'm not missing some obscure rule am I?? Anyway, we lost the game by 10 (not because of the missed call - because we missed 7 layups and 8 foul shots in the second half ), but this could very well have been critical (if it was say a 2 point deficit instead of 10 at the time) - So, my question I guess is... does one official watch the lane and one watch the rim? How is this managed?

thanks in advance for the insight??

Coach M,
S. Hagerstown Lady Rebels

Wait, a minute, Hagerstown, Indiana? Holy Toledo!!

Send me a PM, we've got things to discuss!
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
does one official watch the lane and one watch the rim? How is this managed?
If all you wanted to do was ask this question, then why all the other BS in your post? Are you venting at US because you think some ref shafted your team? Just ask your question. Get your hands on an NFHS Official's manual. It's got pictures and everything so you can see who is watching what.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker

Oops, does that mean YOU'RE the one who missed the call, Juulie???
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Sorry, Hagerstown, MD....
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Okay to answer your real questions.

Yes, trail should be watching this, in the 2-whistle game, I'm not sure who in 3-whistle. It's tough, because T is also supposed to be watching the shooter, and at least 2 other players on the far side of the lane. In HS ball, it's easy to figure that the shooter will at least hit the rim, and not really pay attention. Then if the ball bounces off something, it's easy to not realize that there was a violation.

Mind you I'm not saying what the ref did was right. It sounds like he/she missed it. I'm just saying why it might have happened. Heaven knows, I"ve missed this one often enough!

I'm a little confused how the ball could have just grazed the backboard and ended up in the opponents' hands. Your players should have the bottom spots under the basket, and should be able to get that kind of rebound. If they missed it because they assumed that the violation would be called, so they didn't try for it, you need to school them to play till they hear a whistle!!!

One way to get a ref to address an issue like this (for the long run, not in your game) is to send a short critique to your ref assignment ssecretary after every game. Two or three good calls by each ref, and one or two things they need to work on. Be sure that these evals are balanced in terms of who benefited from the calls. Some assignors will talk to refs about these kinds of critiques, or will send e-mails to all refs talking about that rule or mechanic.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:23pm
In Memoriam

Coach, it's a judgement call. Having said that, I've heard a rumor that most officials are human too. And humans will miss a call. It's true, it's true....

But....in this case, none of us saw the call. How do you expect us to tell you one way or the other if the call was correct? That would be....um.... humanly impossible.

In cases like this, all you can really do is move on.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
If all you wanted to do was ask this question, then why all the other BS in your post? Are you venting at US because you think some ref shafted your team? Just ask your question. Get your hands on an NFHS Official's manual. It's got pictures and everything so you can see who is watching what.

I'm not venting - trust me, if I wanted to vent - I'm smart enough to find a Coaches forum for that - not here where I'll get crushed..... I just explained the situation in detail... I read posts on this forum all the time to pick things up.... when I have a question - I ask it.
Do I think that call is inexcusable to miss - yes... do I think we got shafted - No... that is why I put all the info... like I said, I read here all the time. Periodically, you guys can be pretty rough on coaches like we are the enemy - I was trying to emphasize that I wasn't treating you officials in that way. I have I think 6 books on order from the NFHS - they should be here in a few days - if I had one to consult and could have found the answer on my own - I wouldn't have asked it.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
C'mon back off. She acknowledged that the ref didn't shaft her team, she lost because of her players' short-comings. She's allowed to vent a little as long as she doesn't get insultive. You're allowed to vent, too, but calling her venting BS is close to insultive. Besides, we don't get a lot of women here. We need to help her fit in, not rough her up.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

One way to get a ref to address an issue like this (for the long run, not in your game) is to send a short critique to your ref assignment secretary after every game. Two or three good calls by each ref, and one or two things they need to work on. Be sure that these evals are balanced in terms of who benefited from the calls. Some assignors will talk to refs about these kinds of critiques, or will send e-mails to all refs talking about that rule or mechanic.
Yup, the more coach's evaluations that I get, the better. They're great to start a fire on these cold, wintery nights.

If I sent an evaluation of her performance as a coach to her, do you think that she'd take it just as seriously as I do?

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Jan 02, 2007 at 12:29pm.
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry, Hagerstown, MD....
Rats, my dad, step-mom, step-sister, step-brother-in-law, two step-nephews, a step-niece, and step-doggie all live in Hagerstown, IN. Oh, well, I almost knew it was too good to be true.
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
C'mon back off. She acknowledged that the ref didn't shaft her team, she lost because of her players' short-comings. She's allowed to vent a little as long as she doesn't get insultive. You're allowed to vent, too, but calling her venting BS is close to insultive. Besides, we don't get a lot of women here. We need to help her fit in, not rough her up.
So instead of calling her a rat, I should say.....rat-ette?
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yup, the more coach's evaluations that I get, the better. They're great to start a fire on these cold, wintery nights.

If I sent an evaluation of his performance as a coach to him, do you think that he'd take it just as seriously as I do?
Well, I've had coaches send evals to my assignor and I am grateful, even when they go both ways (there's that euphemism again). Some assignors are smart enough to separate the wheat from the chaff ( Yes, Howard, I'm apple polishing!! I need some help after this weekend!). Aren't you, Woddy?

Coaches around here know that if they get a suggestion from Howard, they'd better listen.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Coach, it's a judgement call. Having said that, I've heard a rumor that most officials are human too. And humans will miss a call. It's true, it's true....

But....in this case, none of us saw the call. How do you expect us to tell you one way or the other if the call was correct? That would be....um.... humanly impossible.

In cases like this, all you can really do is move on.

Really, you guys are human... I know, and I know these refs... I've had both of them before... they're pretty good, and really nice guys. that's why I asked about there responsibilities - who watched what - I didn't know - I didn't realize they were watching the players out of the area - I '***'umed that one was supposed to specifically and only watch for that...

thanks...
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
--appreciated...BUT I'm a HE, not a SHE... (of course, I've been called worse)