View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Officials Responsibilities on Free Throws...?

Let me start with - I'm not whining, but was very disappointed with a missed call. Missed fouls, travels, OOB to the wrong team...they happen - that's basketball - things move fast, you can't see everything, besides - they almost always equal out by the end of the game... but this I just had the hardest time taking / understanding... opposing team had 1-1 with just under 2 minutes left..... they shoot - miss the rim - BIG TIME.... ball barely touches the far left corner of the backboard - bounces right into the shooting teams hands, and then put up the second shot, make it, and get fouled. Before the girl ever caught the ball, the entire gym (at least on our side) screamed VIOLATION... I asked the ref for an explanation.... none was given. I really do get that calls will be missed - but nothing is happening during a foul shot - not many distractions - I'm not missing some obscure rule am I?? Anyway, we lost the game by 10 (not because of the missed call - because we missed 7 layups and 8 foul shots in the second half ), but this could very well have been critical (if it was say a 2 point deficit instead of 10 at the time) - So, my question I guess is... does one official watch the lane and one watch the rim? How is this managed?

thanks in advance for the insight??

Coach M,
S. Hagerstown Lady Rebels