The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 30, 2000, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

I am a bit confused as to who does what during free throws. Can someone help me out? I have read the Official's Handbook, but I am still getting messed up somewhere. Thanks.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2000, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MattRef
I am a bit confused as to who does what during free throws. Can someone help me out? I have read the Official's Handbook, but I am still getting messed up somewhere. Thanks.
I don't know if you're asking about two man or three man?

In both 2 man and 3 man, the lead official administers all FTs. He is responsible for violations by players on the opposite lane.

The center official, trail in 2 man, is responsible for the 10 second count, the players on the opposite lane, the shooter and starting the clock on a miss.

The trail in 3 man is responsible for substitutes and the players who are not on the lane. The trail and center are responsible for knowing if the ball hit the rim or not.

Hope that helps. If you need more information, please more specific.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2000, 07:27pm
In Memoriam

just picking a nit

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by MattRef
I don't know if you're asking about two man or three man?

In both 2 man and 3 man, the lead official administers all FTs. He is responsible for violations by players on the opposite lane.

The center official, trail in 2 man, is responsible for the 10 second count, the players on the opposite lane, the shooter and starting the clock on a miss.

The trail in both 2-man and 3 man is responsible for substitutes and the players who are not on the lane. The trail and center are responsible for knowing if the ball hit the rim or not.

Hope that helps. If you need more information, please more specific.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2000, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, but my two man is pretty rusty. Thankfully, I don't have to call much of that crap.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2000, 07:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Sorry, but my two man is pretty rusty. Thankfully, I don't have to call much of that crap.
I hear that!
Our ADs, who assign our games were wondering if there are any statistics with 3-man if there are more calls, if the games are longer, if the officials are afraid to call fouls out of their areas.
A lot of Southern Michigan conferences have 3-man for regular season and then go to 2-man for the districts and regionals.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2000, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Iowa has very little three person

I was referring to 2-person mechanics. Iowa has very few 3-person games, except for the state tournament. i wouldlove to ref a 3-person game. I am very new to this and want to do a good job, so any help I can get will be useful. Thanks!
Matt
Old Sun Dec 31, 2000, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Matt: When a foul occurs (where shots will be administered) report the foul to the table. Switch positions with your partner (not always necessary) lead administers all free throws, trail is responsible to start the clock if the shooter misses either the front end of a one-and-one or the second shot of a 2-shot foul. Also don't forget sustitutions, lane violations ect. GOOD LUCK!
Old Sun Dec 31, 2000, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by co2ice
Matt: When a foul occurs (where shots will be administered) report the foul to the table. Switch positions with your partner (not always necessary) lead administers all free throws, trail is responsible to start the clock if the shooter misses either the front end of a one-and-one or the second shot of a 2-shot foul. Also don't forget sustitutions, lane violations ect. GOOD LUCK!
When is it not necessary to switch positions with your partner?

I admit we sometimes don't switch on a T (shh -- don't tell) so that the official that calls the T can be away from the benches for a while, but we always switch (or at least intend to switch) on personal fouls.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2001, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Bob: (our secret is safe) The one example that comes to mind when we would'nt switch is toward the end of the game and there is one foul after another which would have you running in circles, techically maybe we should but we don't always. (shhhh) also the T situation to protect your partner was the other. Thanks