The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Smile

In watching Div I girls--I see the def. team completly leave the lowest box open & set up in the 2nd slot up, with the off. team in the 3rd
In watching Duke vrs. MD game Thurs nite I see them being able to use the entire low box--including all the way thru the solid 12" box thus being able to get a better angle on the off. player
Are the rules diff for high school? Being able to get a better angle on the off. player in the 2nd slot is a big advantage thanks for any input.....
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Yes it is diff. in HS. However, I think it is a disadvantage for the first lane space because they have to wait until it hits the rim.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by barknoll
In watching Div I girls--I see the def. team completly leave the lowest box open & set up in the 2nd slot up, with the off. team in the 3rd
In watching Duke vrs. MD game Thurs nite I see them being able to use the entire low box--including all the way thru the solid 12" box thus being able to get a better angle on the off. player
Are the rules diff for high school?
Yes, as you've guessed, the rules governing positioning during free throws are different for Men's college, Women's college, and High School. The two situations you've mentioned were both handled correctly. Each would be wrong according to HS rules, however.

Chuck
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dave Brost
Starting this season, the NCAA women have gone to the procedure of not using the bottom space. NCAA Men do use the bottom space, and the player in the bottom space may also use the entire 12-inch block to stand on.
NFHS has not changed. Both boys and girls must occupy the lane space only, that they are entitled to use.
I agree with Bart. Since the rule change making the players wait for rim contact, it seems that the bottom spot is not much of an advantage. I think that getting a good jump for position is even more important. This makes it tougher for the officials, as players are trying to get every advantage they can.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Also in women's, the player, in the 1st lane space only, gets to use the 2" line next to the 2nd lane space.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Also in women's, the player, in the 1st lane space only, gets to use the 2" line next to the 2nd lane space.
What rule states that?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 12:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Another example.

Quote:
Originally posted by barknoll
Are the rules diff for high school? Being able to get a better angle on the off. player in the 2nd slot is a big advantage thanks for any input.....

The rules in all 3 are very different. This is just one example. Now the NBA and WNBA is another story all together too.

Peace