The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 02:08pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msp8514
At a high school game in Michigan the other night A1 is in bounding the ball after a made basket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
All references/comments are for NCAA
Actually, it's because I hear Michigan is following in Utah's steps of moving toward the pro game.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

clock runs after a made basekt no matter what the time.

also dont forget should you have a foul on the defense during the throw in -- that is before the throw in can be completed -- and the resulting spot for the throw in is the endline -- the team retains the right to run the endline. Now of course the clock will not be running - if it is you or your partner should chase after it before it leaves the building.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 04:11am
Official Forum Member

Sorry forgot to let you know clock was stopped due to a T.O.. Also clock started when A1 passed to A2 (both player still OOB). Original time was put back on the clock.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
clock runs after a made basekt no matter what the time.

also dont forget should you have a foul on the defense during the throw in -- that is before the throw in can be completed -- and the resulting spot for the throw in is the endline -- the team retains the right to run the endline. Now of course the clock will not be running - if it is you or your partner should chase after it before it leaves the building.
The clock runs, yet time flies. I'm soooo confused.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 12:43pm
PYRef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msp8514
Sorry forgot to let you know clock was stopped due to a T.O.. Also clock started when A1 passed to A2 (both player still OOB). Original time was put back on the clock.
Does the clock start on the pass to the other OOB teammate when they have the privelege of running the endline?
I would imagine that this would fit the scenario discussed at length on a previous thread about throw-in administration and when a throw-in ends?? ie: the throw-in ends when the ball is touched by a player who is IB or OOB.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

no the clock does not start -- this throw in does not end -- unitl it touches a temmate in bounds -- or OOB on any line except the endline where the throw in is occureing -- or if it touches an opponent inbounds or OOB.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 01:14pm
PYRef

Thanks deecee, that's what I thought. So in the post by msp8514, the time was put back on the clock because it was started inadvertantly on the OOB pass to the teammate?
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 02:08pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
no the clock does not start -- this throw in does not end -- unitl it touches a temmate in bounds -- or OOB on any line except the endline where the throw in is occureing -- or if it touches an opponent inbounds or OOB.
Just to clarify and add an exception to what you've just stated - A teammate who is not taking part in the throw-in (say one who is has his/her back turned to the thrower and has out of bounds status) touches or is touched by the ball, it's a throw-in violation by A, the throw-in ends, and it's B's ball at the spot nearest the violation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
Thanks deecee, that's what I thought. So in the post by msp8514, the time was put back on the clock because it was started inadvertantly on the OOB pass to the teammate?
Inadvertantly or incorrectly, yes.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Ok
1. Made Basket.
2. Time Out.
3. A1 has the right to run the endline to throw-in.
4. A1 throws to A2 who is OOB along the endline.
5. A2 now has a spot throw-in where the ball was caught. This is what I thought but reading other posts A2 can run the entire endline. I can't find anything in the NFHS that would stop A2 from running the endline.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

hawkeye do you have case play for that?
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisbluezeb
Ok
1. Made Basket.
2. Time Out.
3. A1 has the right to run the endline to throw-in.
4. A1 throws to A2 who is OOB along the endline.
5. A2 now has a spot throw-in where the ball was caught. This is what I thought but reading other posts A2 can run the entire endline. I can't find anything in the NFHS that would stop A2 from running the endline.
That is because there is nothing to stop A2 from running the endline
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 04:25pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
Just to clarify and add an exception to what you've just stated - A teammate who is not taking part in the throw-in (say one who is has his/her back turned to the thrower and has out of bounds status) touches or is touched by the ball, it's a throw-in violation by A, the throw-in ends, and it's B's ball at the spot nearest the violation.
Huh?

Sounds like you are saying:
1) Team B scores a basket.
2) A1 has the ball out of bounds along the endline for the throw-in.
3) A1 passes the ball along the endline to A2 who is also out of bounds along the endline, but
4) A2 has his back to A1.
5) The pass hits A2 in the back and bounces out of bounds along the endline.
6) Violation.

Is this what you're saying? If so, I disagree.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 04:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP

Inadvertantly or incorrectly, yes.
What violation? Have you got a rules citation to back that statement up?

I'm with Scrapper. There's no rule that I know of that that states that this a violation.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

wow jr and i agree -- close the boards down
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 05:27pm
(Something hilarious)

decee, Scrapper, and Jurassic -

Sorry - I was not clear enough in my last post. The player (let's call him/her A3) I was envisioning (and not describing well enough by only saying "out of bounds status") was basically under the basket, one foot touching out of bounds, not facing the thrower (possibly performing whatever part of the press-break play they're responsible for - screening, getting out of the way, etc., as the thrower is gathering the ball following the made basket), and gets hit by an out of bounds pass (say on their arm) from thrower A1 that is intended for A2, who is also out of bounds, on the other side of the key.

I'm asserting that this player is also out of bounds, on the same (end)line as the thrower (as decee said), but that this is a throw-in violation by A under 9-2-10, similar in rationale to 4.35.2(b).

(I agree that the ball touching another A player who is completely out of bounds on an endline pass during the throw-in would not be a violation.)

Last edited by HawkeyeCubP; Tue Dec 19, 2006 at 05:32pm.