The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Travel or not (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30264-travel-not.html)

msp8514 Sun Dec 17, 2006 05:34am

Travel or not

Question that I can't seem to find an answer to. At a high school game in Michigan the other night A1 is in bounding the ball after a made basket. A1 passess the ball to A2 who had established himself out of bounds along the end line. A2 then proceeds to run the end line prior to in bounding the ball.
A2 was able to in bound the ball within five seconds. A travel was called on
A2, ball was turned over and no time off the clock. Is this a travel on A2? Or can A2 run the end line also as long as the ball is put into play within five seconds.

zebra44 Sun Dec 17, 2006 05:38am

http://forum.officiating.com/showthread.php?t=30152

FishinRef Sun Dec 17, 2006 06:11am

Quote:

Question that I can't seem to find an answer to. At a high school game in Michigan the other night A1 is in bounding the ball after a made basket. A1 passess the ball to A2 who had established himself out of bounds along the end line. A2 then proceeds to run the end line prior to in bounding the ball.
A2 was able to in bound the ball within five seconds. A travel was called on A2, ball was turned over and no time off the clock. Is this a travel on A2? Or can A2 run the end line also as long as the ball is put into play within five seconds.
If the thrower violates by moving outside the designated 3' spot during a spot throw-in, it is NOT a travel!!! It is simply throw-in violation.

Scrapper1 Sun Dec 17, 2006 08:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishinRef
If the thrower violates by moving outside the designated 3' spot during a spot throw-in, it is NOT a travel!!! It is simply throw-in violation.

That's true, but in the original situation, it was not a designated spot throw-in. The original situation was a legal play.

I'm sure you knew that, I just didn't want others to be confused.

bigdogrunnin Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:03am

Same as Scrapper saw it. NO Violation! It was a made basket, and they have the privilege of using the entire endline. The call was "kicked"! On a spot throw-in, as soon as A2 steps out of bounds, it became a violation. Can't remember the specific rule (JR may post now), but two players simultaneously out-of-bounds during a spot throw-in constitutes a violation.

tonyvan Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
Can't remember the specific rule (JR may post now), but two players simultaneously out-of-bounds during a spot throw-in constitutes a violation.

Rule 7-5-7 states- "the team not credited with the goal shall make the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line". It also says "Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammmate(s) outside the boundary line".

OHBBREF Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:44pm

obviously the last time the calling official read a rule book was many years ago.
At one time - that was the signal (rotating hands over each otheras in traveling) for leaving the spot on a designated throw in.
However leaving the designated spot does not apply in this situation since this was after a made basket the inbounding team was entitled to move along the baseline OOB and pass - so by rule there was no violation
So not only did the official blow the call - he blew the signal for the call he made.
I can not imagine what we could call that.

Jurassic Referee Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF
At one time - that was the signal (rotating hands over each otheras in traveling) for leaving the spot on a designated throw in.

There never was an approved signal for a spot violation like that in NFHS or NCAA that I know of. Sure it wasn't a local thang?

rainmaker Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
Can't remember the specific rule (JR may post now), but two players simultaneously out-of-bounds during a spot throw-in constitutes a violation.

Either Padgett or I called this this weekend, and the coach yells sarcastically, "Thanks for the warning". As I went past him a play or two later, same coach asked, "How were the players supposed to know about that rule?" I said, "It's in the rule book, aren't you using the Fed rulebook that the league gave you?" Parents looked at him curiously.

BEAREF Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by msp8514
A2 was able to in bound the ball within five seconds. A travel was called on
A2, ball was turned over and no time off the clock. Is this a travel on A2? Or can A2 run the end line also as long as the ball is put into play within five seconds.

Why was there no time off the clock?

SmokeEater Mon Dec 18, 2006 01:44pm

I'm assuming there was no time off the clock because the travel must have been called prior to establishing possession inbounds.

David M Mon Dec 18, 2006 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeEater
I'm assuming there was no time off the clock because the travel must have been called prior to establishing possession inbounds.

The clock should be running after a made basket.

SmokeEater Mon Dec 18, 2006 01:51pm

True Nuff, unless in the last minute of the game, or after free throws. Yea I know I am adding my own twist to OP.

David M Mon Dec 18, 2006 01:53pm

The clock stops in the last minute of a game??

Mark Dexter Mon Dec 18, 2006 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by David M
The clock should be running after a made basket.

Always? ;)