The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
Here's another thing. Inthe beginning of a JV game I asked a player to remove his undershirt as it does not match the uniform. The player quickly removed his jersey and shirt at the visual confines playing area (he did it right in front of me). By rules, should I enforced a "T" on that player for removing his jersey? Or does the "removing of the jersey in visual confines playing area" rule applies only during the game?
By rule that is a "T". Try this next time. Go up to the player and quietly ask him to step out of the gym and take off his undershirt. Make it clear he needs to leave the gym before he does it. That will save you a headache or two.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
By rule that is a "T". Try this next time. Go up to the player and quietly ask him to step out of the gym and take off his undershirt. Make it clear he needs to leave the gym before he does it. That will save you a headache or two.
Good idea!!! Situation like this applies mostly during a JV game. The varsity players know better.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here's another thing. Inthe beginning of a JV game I asked a player to remove his undershirt as it does not match the uniform. The player quickly removed his jersey and shirt at the visual confines playing area (he did it right in front of me). By rules, should I enforced a "T" on that player for removing his jersey? Or does the "removing of the jersey in visual confines playing area" rule applies only during the game?
How can you give a technical foul to a player who is following your instructions? That is not the intent of the rule, as you should know. The rule is intended to penalize showboating, unsportsmanlike acts, not for following the official's instructions. If it bothers you, be more careful in your instructions, like saying "Go back to your locker room and remove your undershirt", not just "Take your undershirt off".
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
How can you give a technical foul to a player who is following your instructions? That is not the intent of the rule, as you should know. The rule is intended to penalize showboating, unsportsmanlike acts, not for following the official's instructions. If it bothers you, be more careful in your instructions, like saying "Go back to your locker room and remove your undershirt", not just "Take your undershirt off".
You penalize this because it's against the rules. Are you saying that the players don't need to know the rules?

Still, your main point seems sound advice: proper instruction can avoid the appearance of setting up a player to violate a rule.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 10:55am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
How can you give a technical foul to a player who is following your instructions? That is not the intent of the rule, as you should know.
Unfortunately, Jim, the NFHS made it perfectly clear that it IS the intent of the rule. When the rule was introduced last year, we were told that if a player was sent out of the game for having blood on his shirt and he changed it at the bench, then it was a technical foul. No ifs, ands, or buts. There is to be no removal of shirts, period, in the visual confines of the gym.

Quote:
be more careful in your instructions, like saying "Go back to your locker room and remove your undershirt", not just "Take your undershirt off".
I think this is good advice, regardless of the intent of the rule.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Like Scrappy mentioned, this is the way the Fed. intended it to be called.

I might even suggest being a little more careful in the instructions. We don't really have the authority to tell them to remove anything. All we can tell them is they can't play with the offending undergarments. We might want to mention that they can't play with that shirt, but they also can't change it here. This way, the coach has the option of telling the player, "You idiot, I told you to take that off! Just for that, sit on the bench the rest of the game!". And you don't get in possible trouble for telling them to do something against the rules.

(Used with permission.)

Last edited by M&M Guy; Wed Dec 13, 2006 at 12:54pm.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Like Scrappy mentioned, this is the way the Fed. intended it to be called.

I might even suggest being a little more careful in the instructions. We don't really have the authority to tell them to remove anything. All we can tell them is they can't play with the offending undergarments. We might want to mention that they can't play with that shirt, but they also can't change it here. This way, the coach has the option of telling the player, "You idiot, I to take that off! Just for that, sit on the bench the rest of the game!". And you don't get in possible trouble for telling them to do something against the rules.
I don't say anything to the players. Instead I'll tell the coach "the white T-shirts aren't legal & have to be removed if they want to play". Now it's the coach's responsibility to tell his players. I also tell the coach to remind them not to do it in the gym. IMHO this is good preventive officiating. Now if they go ahead & do it anyway, whack away - they have absolutely no excuse.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Still, your main point seems sound advice: proper instruction can avoid the appearance of setting up a player to violate a rule.

Bingo!
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 06:54pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
I had this sitch last week. I advised the coach to have the players get out of sight to change. They did. No T.